rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #54880  by High Peaks
 Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:43 pm
Hey everyone!!

Heres a question for the Jerry players. On Live Without a Net, what effects are Jerry using in the beginning of the Slipknot jam. Its that tasty distortion with something else.

If i was guessing i would say Turbo OD + Phase.

I am not sure however and wanted some opinions from the experts!1

Thanks
 #54895  by tigerstrat
 Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:23 pm
Yeah, I don't own that release but JG frequently used Octave on that section. A Boss only goes oct down, but with a MuTron or FoxRox you can add the Up flavors, resulting in a sweet and/or nasty fuzz.
 #54979  by jonarobb
 Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:13 pm
I thinks its from Nassau, 3/30/90. I hear him running through 4-5 different Midi patches. Very disjointed and unfocused. The only thing that sounds analog on there is his Overdrive. That midi flugelhorn thing he did sent me right to the nacho stand more than one time.
 #54980  by Chuckles
 Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:21 pm
Here's the archive link to the show it is from:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1990-0 ... eok.flac16

Starts out straight Dirt>Octave (weak octave), adds sick high-gain delay for a pass at 0:47, back to more conventional D>O at 1:02, then adds MuTron at 1:16, then gets back into the D>O (that I think he was actually looking for) at 1:30 adding probably with some MIDI pan flute or something thrown in and into heavy distortion w/same MIDI @ 2:05 for a long while of the jam before cleaning it up for the return to the main theme before Franklin's.

Least, that's how I hear it... ymmv. :smile:

-edit-

Damn, J - you're way ahead of me!

(postage on the way :wink: )
 #54983  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers
 Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:28 am
jonarobb wrote:I thinks its from Nassau, 3/30/90. I hear him running through 4-5 different Midi patches. Very disjointed and unfocused. The only thing that sounds analog on there is his Overdrive. That midi flugelhorn thing he did sent me right to the nacho stand more than one time.

Nacho nacho man, I wanna be a nacho man. - Homer J. Simpson

And yes, no better way to kill a Let It Grow or Slipknot than that midi flugelhorn.

Slapped myself for taking a cheap shot at Jerry but it had to be seconded.
 #54991  by playingdead
 Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:28 am
All I really hear is the OD-2r (Turbo on) and various MIDI patches mixed in ... not really hearing the octave on there, I think it's more the doubling of the MIDI source. The Octave is super distinctive when it's on with the OD-2r. The guitar signal does have a lot of reverb and some sort of nasally quality to it that I always assume is the Boss EQ being switched in with a bump in the midrange. The whole mix is fairly washed out in reverb, actually.

You guys are good!

At our shows, some people come up to me and ask when I'm going to add the MIDI stuff to my rig ... I always sort of say, "Well ... it's complicated." But I never liked anything much he did with MIDI, to be honest about it. Spoiled some really nice Row Jimmys back in the day ; - )
 #54993  by Emoto
 Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:25 am
How do you guys tend to order your Octave, Distortion, and envelope filters in your effects loops?
 #54994  by Tennessee Jedi
 Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:37 am
I have no FX loop
OCTAVE
Q TRON
Blues Driver # 1
B Driver # 2
Cool Boss Reverb/Delay (RV ?)
:smile:
Ps
Brents mastery is on full display on WOAN .... Dig the Jerry riffs !
He carry's the band ....
I think it was mixed after he died and in his memory ....It sounds like he is doing the heavy lifting for the band ...
:D
 #54995  by jonarobb
 Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:07 am
Emoto wrote:How do you guys tend to order your Octave, Distortion, and envelope filters in your effects loops?
I have a custom effects switcher/looper. If I were to run everything open in the loop it would be this order:

Mutron III
MXR Analog Delay
MXR Distortion+
MXR Phase 100

rule of thumb is your touch sensitive devices should go at the front of your chain
 #54998  by strumminsix
 Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:29 am
jonarobb wrote:
Emoto wrote:How do you guys tend to order your Octave, Distortion, and envelope filters in your effects loops?
I have a custom effects switcher/looper. If I were to run everything open in the loop it would be this order:

Mutron III
MXR Analog Delay
MXR Distortion+
MXR Phase 100

rule of thumb is your touch sensitive devices should go at the front of your chain
Interesting spot for the delay. I run a GCX like this:
Boost > auto wah > OD > Phaser > Delay

How does your dist & phase handle delays?