rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #52452  by Rusty the Scoob
 Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:45 am
Ok, I've been waiting a long time to make a thread about this, and today's the day. I wasn't happy with how my current bass sounded when playing with a pick.. it's just too aggressive to be Phil. So I designed a new bass, ordered all the parts, and had my dad build the body. It's on a UPS truck for delivery as we speak.

I'm late for work, so I'll provide details later if anyone's interested. Here's the full saga from the end of the design stage to now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danfcrea/s ... 940563012/

or you can just skip to the end and see the finished product:

#52453  by Emoto
 Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:50 am
Beautiful!
 #52467  by tigerstrat
 Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:02 am
Gorgeous work! An obvious Irwin(/Leiber) nod, design-wise. Construction details when you get the chance, plus what's under the hood?
 #52469  by Dozin
 Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:42 am
SWEET!

Cant wait to hear it!
 #52595  by Good Times
 Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:57 am
That is one great looking guitar! :smile:
 #52675  by Rusty the Scoob
 Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:40 pm
Thanks, guys!

I'm working on a full writeup for the Fennario website, but here are the nitty-gritty details for now:

Warmoth Neck - Maple and Purpleheart lamintes with a Ziricote fretboard.
Gotoh tuners
Warwick Bridge and Nut
Bartolini's original series pickups (passive humbuckers)
ACG preamp - with high and low pass filters, somewhat Alembic-like
Custom body made of Maple and Purpleheart with a Mahogany core, and Coco Bolo top and back.

So far I'm really happy with the sound... it's pretty close to Phil's first full Alembic prototype, Mission Control. The ACG really does a good job of copying the way his sound changed from show to show in the late 70s. And yep, it weighs a freaking ton... about 13.5 pounds. :lol: