Chat about Equipment Info
 #48508  by spunion4

I have used this great site for many years but just started looking at the forums. So if this question is super redundant forgive me. I play a Les Paul '68 custom and am interested in finding a great amp to play out of. I would like to find my best option for jerry's clean tone, but something with some balls as well. Also options on effects would be much appreciated. Thanks for any help you can offer and I am so grateful to all who have contributed to keep this reference site alive and kicken.

#48512  by acidrain30005

Well as far as amps go a Fender Twin Reverb would be your best bet. I play a 65 Reissue and its incredible. Can't really say much for effects though, sorry.

Btw, welcome to the forums!

#48532  by tigerstrat

acidrain30005 wrote:Well as far as amps go a Fender Twin Reverb would be your best bet.
This is true, however several related Fender amps of the 60's/70's will give that sweet sparkly front-end sound, including Showman,Vibroverb/lux, Bandmaster, Deluxe etc. Fender spring reverb integrated into the amp circuit is considered a crucial feature by some, myself included, not so much by others who prefer outboard reverb devices.

#48544  by Capt Rosebuddy

Well I still have both feet planted firmly on the upslope side of the curve when it comes to amplification, but here is what I use for effects.

Boss Tuner>Early Gen Dunlop MXR Distortion+>Boss OC-2> Boss DD-3 Dunlop MXR Re-issue Phase 100>Q-Tron, on a separate loop A Line 6 DL4.

I'm actually not too sure about the "correct" Garcia order of the boxes this just works for my board and I think its basically ok. I think with a little more research eather on this forum or gearheads the proper order might be unearthed.

#48545  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Here is a link to Harmony Central's section on ordering effects in your signal chain. It is a very down to earth description of effects, what they actually do, and where they should go and why they should go there.

http://www.harmony-central.com/articles ... cts_guide/

I think a lot of people agree that while this order is the standard protocol, as many people have probably gotten great tones with their effects set up in other orders.

As Blind Faith said "Do What You Like". (great example of 5/4 jazz/rock)

#48551  by High Peaks

My first try at Jerry's tone was a Fender Blues Jr. with a preamp out to a MC 2120 power amp. I'd pop the tubes out of the Jr. and it sounded pretty good. Got a lot of dirt when i dug in.I had a Holy Grail since the tank on the Jr was small it didn;t sound to good.

It really depends on speakers and pickups though. If you have some E120's or k, d's. You will come close. If you have a super 2 in the middle position with coil taps you will come closer. If you play through an old Twin with mid boosted and some old Tung Sol 12ax7s you will sound real close.

just my .02

:cool: