Chat about Equipment Info
 #47780  by monroe

Short version:
I've got an Epiphone Les Paul and I'm looking to replace the stock pickups, which are notorious for their poor quality. What do you fellas recommend? I like the description of the DiMarzio Super 2's, but honestly, I get a little scared when I read reviews that say, "WOW, these are hot! BEWARE if you don't like extremely hot pickups!"

Basically, what I'm really looking for, is a bridge pickup that's gives a fairly thick, buttery tone (I realize that it'll never be like the neck pickup), that still cuts through the mix for leads and solo work. And an appropriate neck pickup to compliment that.

Long version:
Been playing for about 10 years.But up until about 5 months ago, it's been all acoustic bluegrass. I've been playing traditional bluegrass since day one. About 5 months ago, I got an Epiphone Les Paul, and have gotten more and more into playing rock n roll on the electric.

So, I've come into a bit of cash, and would like to replace the stock pickups on my LP. So what do you guys recommend? I'm going through a Fender Princeton Reverb amp (early 70's), if that makes any difference. I'm not looking to duplicate or replicate the Jerry sound exactly. Just something in the ball park would be great.

What I don't like about my current pickups: I've read from many many people that the stock pickups in the Epi LP's (mine is a standard, plain top) are terrible. But, to me, if they sound good, who cares? But I'm not real satisfied with my sound. Particularly, the bridge pickup. The neck pickup sounds OK, but the bridge does not. It's got a real thin, tinny sound, that I really can't stand. I know the bridge pickup by nature is going to give a somewhat thinner sound than the neck, but this is extreme. So, I'd like to replace the bridge pup with something a little beefier. And if I'm going to get a quality pup for the bridge, I might as well upgrade the neck at the same time, while I've got the funds.

So, I've looked up several different options. I've read about 20 reviews of the DiMarzio Super 2's, and I'm a bit torn. Every review describes exactly the kind of sound I'm looking for. But, they also all mention that they are extremely hot, which, as someone who's new to playing electric, scares me a little bit. Is that fear justified? Also, all the reviews I've read are from people using them in the neck. That raises more questions. Are they suitable for bridge use? If so, what should I use in the neck? The same? If not, what do you recommend for the bridge if I were to put a Super 2 in the neck? Or would you recommend skipping the Super 2's all together and going with something all together different?

There's so many options, and I'm new to all this. help!!

#47797  by tigerstrat

Just one of zillions of good options, but the Seymour Duncan "Hotrodded Humbucker" set is a very versatile moderately high-output option that I have had fun with: JB Model at the bridge and Jazz Model at neck. A very popular combo.

It's what I have in my backup axe, my Schecter C-1. It can get a somewhat Jerryesque sound in "one coil from each" parallel mode (using 5-way switching), and a very wide range of heavier twin humbucker sounds.

#47798  by monroe

Thanks man.

Am I right to be concerned about the high output of the Super 2's? As someone who's new to playing electric, I'm concerned about my ability to get such a beast under control. Is that concern justified, or is it not that big of a deal?

#47800  by strumminsix

I think that what I have in my Jackson would be perfect for you.

Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the neck.
Seymour Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge.

Likely I'll be replacing the C5 in the bridge with a bridge PG since I find the C5 to be a bit too sharp for a percussive rhythm guy like myself but would likely be perfect for somebody taking a lead and rolling off the tone pot some.

#47810  by monroe

strumminsix wrote:I think that what I have in my Jackson would be perfect for you.

Seymour Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge.
The description of that C5 does sound right up my alley. I'll have to check that out.

#47811  by Tennessee Jedi

Cant go wrong with the Pearly Gates - I got one in my Strat ...Its a great pick up ...
:cool:

#47818  by strumminsix

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
Cant go wrong with the Pearly Gates - I got one in my Strat ...Its a great pick up ...
:cool:
It's really my favorite pickup of all time!

#47890  by Django

I am a fan of Seymour Duncans myself but I thought I'd mention that you can get gibson les paul pickups to put in the Epi. You could demo some Pauls and find out what particular models are in them.