rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info

 #42038  by Tennessee Jedi
 Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:04 pm
Sweet :smile:

 #42075  by milobender
 Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:54 am
Hi Waldo,

What configuration did you use with 6 diodes? I've seen the bridge type with 4...

Did you simply replace the tube with the diodes and leave the rest of the filtering, etc. intact?

And last, can you describe the difference in sound between the solid state and tube varieties? I think it may be that I'm a solid state guy too...

Thanks, it looks great :cool: :cool: :cool:

 #42096  by waldo041
 Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:23 pm
milobender wrote:Hi Waldo,

What configuration did you use with 6 diodes? I've seen the bridge type with 4...

Did you simply replace the tube with the diodes and leave the rest of the filtering, etc. intact?

And last, can you describe the difference in sound between the solid state and tube varieties? I think it may be that I'm a solid state guy too...

Thanks, it looks great :cool: :cool: :cool:
i went with the original fender twin reverb ab763 schematic. it's basically 3 and 3, two inputs one output. i removed the yellow wires from the PT to the rectifier tube and that was about it. and yes it is as simple as removing the tube and yellow wires and putting in the diodes. wjhile i used the 6 diode config, the reissue uses the 4 diode bridge type and it would work also.

soundwise there was a very obvious difference when i put it in. the tube and emulated weber copper cap both were not as punchy nor clean anywhere after 3 on the volume. not that the amp sounded like crap or anything, just more aggresive rock and roll amp with the tube rectifier then i wanted. that said it still has some clean balls/punch with the SS rectifier, just not as aggresive or dirty sounding. does that make sense?

Solid State rectifier does raise the voltages so if you were to ever want to do what i did, make sure the capacitors can handle the higher voltages. that is how it gets the clean headroom.

peace,
waldo

 #42123  by milobender
 Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:16 pm
Thanks Waldo, yeah, thats pretty straight forward :D I guess I hadn't ever noticed that the Twin didn't use a tube rectifier (at least at the AB763 time)...

I think I do know what you mean about the sound, and I think it may well be what has bothered me about the smaller tube amps, after 5 or so... anyway, it convinces me to try the solid state route when I finally get around to making one...

Can you give me a ball-park percentage of the voltage increase?

Thanks for your time :cool:

Brian

 #42124  by waldo041
 Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:24 pm
milobender wrote:Can you give me a ball-park percentage of the voltage increase?
when i get the chance i will get voltages with the tube, weber copper cap, and solid state rectifier for ya.


peace,
waldo

 #42126  by milobender
 Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:16 pm
:cool: :cool: :smile: :cool: :smile: :cool:

 #42133  by deadguise
 Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:08 pm
That's pretty cool, does it come with step by step instructions with coded parts breakdown so a complete idiot can assemble one or do you have to know electronics?

 #42134  by waldo041
 Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:14 pm
deadguise wrote:That's pretty cool, does it come with step by step instructions with coded parts breakdown so a complete idiot can assemble one or do you have to know electronics?
i wish i could say yes, but a VERY good knowledge of the high voltages associated with an amp are needed. definately not a beginner project! they only provide a layout and schematic.

peace,
waldo

 #42139  by milobender
 Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:17 pm
:D I've been thinking about the preamp stages recently... appearantly on some of the older Fenders guys would parallel the two preamps with a jumper for more gain (plus you get 2 tone stacks to play with); and I do like an extra boost to the signal going into the preamp, whether it's a Stratoblaster, or other preamp device... so I plan to put a Series/Parallel for both typical AB763 preamp stages, and a true bypass for one of them. For 2 DPDT switches you get 3 different configurations on your preamp section... :D

Brian

 #42146  by waldo041
 Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:55 am
milobender wrote::D I've been thinking about the preamp stages recently... appearantly on some of the older Fenders guys would parallel the two preamps with a jumper for more gain (plus you get 2 tone stacks to play with); and I do like an extra boost to the signal going into the preamp, whether it's a Stratoblaster, or other preamp device... so I plan to put a Series/Parallel for both typical AB763 preamp stages, and a true bypass for one of them. For 2 DPDT switches you get 3 different configurations on your preamp section... :D

Brian
jerry even tried it, however the vibrato channel is out of phase with the normal and would need to be alter to use properly. otherwise it's a balancing act with the volumes. do a search over at gearheads the subject has been touched over there.

peace,
waldo

 #43512  by waldo041
 Fri May 09, 2008 6:45 am
Image

it is being stained and polyurethaned right now. other then swapping in the my JBL k-120. it is almost done.

peace,
waldo

 #43520  by Tennessee Jedi
 Fri May 09, 2008 7:30 am
Very cool
Whats it sound like ?
:smile:

 #43527  by strumminsix
 Fri May 09, 2008 9:39 am
wow! beautiful, waldo!

 #43541  by Jon S.
 Fri May 09, 2008 11:29 am
Wonderful work there on that amp. So cool! :)