Chat about Equipment Info
 #41106  by BlobWeird

Is there such a thing. I have a micromemo ipod voice recorder but the mic isnt the greatest. I mean it does good but I figure id benefit more from a real mic. So I plan on gettin the Shure 57. It says the output is through a male XLR plug. The jack on the ipod is 3.5mm. So anyone know how to go about this and where I could find somethin to make it work? Tried google and came up empty handed.

#41107  by Tennessee Jedi

Radio Shack my man.
I dont know if what you want is real or not but they could tell you (and/or might have another option ).
Good luck......
:smile:

#41671  by jenkins

Have you figured it out yet bro? Thats awesome if u can record right onto your IPOD. seems like it would be great for just putting down song ideas anywhere.

You should be able to get a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter.
Than you would go 1/4 to xlr. YOu should be able to find those adapters at radio shack, but they might suck sound quality out of the 57.

#41689  by BlobWeird

Well i can already record straight to the ipod. I have an Ipod mic. But it has a little jack where you can plug in an external mic. So I figured using a real instrument mic instead of just the voice recorder it comes with would be better quality. THe quality with this is pretty sweet though. Just not warm enough.

#41690  by willmusic

In most cases you can find an adapter for your needs. If you can think of a plug/jack-to-different kind of plug/jack there is probably a cable/adapter out there to accommodate you. Or you can make your own (?)

#41711  by FretfulDave

there are many cable types and adapters out there. Some from Radio Shack. I have a couple of Radio Shack branded Shure mics from x number of years ago and they have XLR on the mic end and 1/4" phone on the other, rather than XLR on both ends as with most mic cables. The XLR to 1/4" phone adapters seem to add a db loss, at least to my ears, probably due to impedance mismatches, so I don't use them even though it is all supposed to work. Perhaps, from Radio Shack or your favorite parts supplier, get XLR to 1/4" phone plug cables and buy 1/4" to mini-phone adapters, i.e. 1/4" phone to 1/8" (3.5 mm) phone. This would eliminate one conversion point, which would be good for loss and may help the impedance problems I have run into with the XLR -> 1/4" phone adapters.

$.02

Good luck,

Dave

#42035  by BlobWeird

Wow jenkins I searched and searched and couldnt find it. Thanks alot!!!! And Pete I might have to check that out. Looks like a decent little mic. Depends whether or not I pick up a Multi-track recorder or not. I might just get a Boss BR1200. Anyone know of somethin similar thats better? Hmm maybe ill make a new thread for that.