rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #88655  by JonnyBoy
 Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:48 am
imagine that loaded down with 150 lb macs and such. I bet the wheels barely rolled. forget pushing it up a ramp into a truck!

Image
 #88672  by tigerstrat
 Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:37 am
JonnyBoy wrote:imagine that loaded down with 150 lb macs and such. I bet the wheels barely rolled. forget pushing it up a ramp into a truck!

Image
It was probably about as heavy and wieldy as a Hammond B3.

I have a vintage Fender expert telling me that is DEFINITELY an early 60's blonde-tolex Fender reverb unit sitting on the floor next to Jerry's rack.
 #88691  by tigerstrat
 Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:47 pm
Could it have been modded or had its guts completely replaced with something else?
I think that question could be asked about any piece of gear from any point in their history! :lol:

It's a soundcheck photo so perhaps it wasn't used for the show, just in the preparations somehow. I't's fairly early in the evolution of the Wall- maybe it was used briefly for Jerry's side monitors, and then ditched(?)
 #88887  by Grant
 Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:47 am
tigerstrat wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote:imagine that loaded down with 150 lb macs and such. I bet the wheels barely rolled. forget pushing it up a ramp into a truck!

Image
It was probably about as heavy and wieldy as a Hammond B3.

I have a vintage Fender expert telling me that is DEFINITELY an early 60's blonde-tolex Fender reverb unit sitting on the floor next to Jerry's rack.
wow right you are, i never noticed that before. so at least for some time jerry was using that rather than the reverb in the twin.
 #88899  by tigerstrat
 Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:29 am
Grant wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote:imagine that loaded down with 150 lb macs and such. I bet the wheels barely rolled. forget pushing it up a ramp into a truck!

Image
It was probably about as heavy and wieldy as a Hammond B3.

I have a vintage Fender expert telling me that is DEFINITELY an early 60's blonde-tolex Fender reverb unit sitting on the floor next to Jerry's rack.
wow right you are, i never noticed that before. so at least for some time jerry was using that rather than the reverb in the twin.
I think that is jumping to that conclusion to assume that Jerry was using it for his guitar... I'm thinking maybe he just wanted a touch applied to his side-fill monitors. Could have been a guitar experiment, but who really knows?
 #88911  by tcsned
 Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:02 pm
tigerstrat wrote:
Grant wrote:
I think that is jumping to that conclusion to assume that Jerry was using it for his guitar... I'm thinking maybe he just wanted a touch applied to his side-fill monitors. Could have been a guitar experiment, but who really knows?
I think he just needed something to stand on to reach something on top of his rig :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 #88918  by JonnyBoy
 Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:06 pm
That's awesome TS, I knew you would look into that :smile: I would ASSUME he was using that in his private mix during sound check. It seems haphazardly placed on the ground to be a significant part of the signal chain for the show, I would think it would be well secured somewhere if he used it in his main rig. I bet that stage is shaking when the whole wall is blaring, sending vibrational feedback into that little box. Maybe an experiment like you all said or his rig had issues being addressed at that moment; maybe his twin's verb had issues last minute. So much to speculate its almost not worth it :lol:
 #88926  by waldo041
 Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:30 pm
tigerstrat wrote:I think that is jumping to that conclusion to assume that Jerry was using it for his guitar... I'm thinking maybe he just wanted a touch applied to his side-fill monitors. Could have been a guitar experiment, but who really knows?
TS, as noted in our offline discussion, the pictures show that he used both sides of his mc2300 with the Normal and Vibrato channels jumpered together so each side of the mac got a channel. as discussed, this would leave the Normal channel with no reverb. so, this new evidence could infact debunk that assumption, and that fender reverb unit could have been used for the normal channel giving him both channels with reverb.

i reached out to wickersham to clarify, so with some luck we may find out exactly what that reverb unit is there for.

peace,
waldo