Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info

#48258  by astroman99
 Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:10 am
A drop or a puddle

#48260  by CountryMile Cadillac
 Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:37 am
jeffm725 wrote:Is there any more information about Wolf Jr.?
Good question, I looked through a bunch of photos, seems like I have seen it in Jerry's hands, but could not find one. I know Ive seen Phil with a headless bass a number of times, so that may be what I am recalling. Does anybody have a year-time frame of when Wolf Jr. came to be?

#48269  by tigerstrat
 Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:47 am
CountryMile Cadillac wrote:
jeffm725 wrote:Is there any more information about Wolf Jr.?
Good question, I looked through a bunch of photos, seems like I have seen it in Jerry's hands, but could not find one. I know Ive seen Phil with a headless bass a number of times, so that may be what I am recalling. Does anybody have a year-time frame of when Wolf Jr. came to be?
Jerry never used Wolf Jr. in performance, afaik. He is last known to have performed on Wolf "Sr." at the February 93 Oakland run, when one of his heroes Ornette Coleman sat in.

Phil played a headless Modulus bass with the GD circa 1987-88. It had a metallic grey checkerboard finish. He may have since used other headless basses in PLF, but I haven't paid attention since about 2003.

#48270  by jeffm725
 Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:56 am
I was kidding about the "is there more information about wolf jr". comment it was asked 3 times in the thread so I felt like making it 4 :o

sarcasm is lost on messageboards/email