rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info

#37814  by waldo041
 Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:05 pm
SpaceYrface43 wrote:I have been to the R&R HofFame recently and saw some of jerry's guitars. If i remember correctly Rosebud, Lighting Bolt, Top Hat, and headless were in the display case. I'm not sure if the bolt and hat were original due to the fact i heard they were destroyed in the blast at Cripes shack. Needless to say it gave me chill's to see Rosebud in person so close. It's something you have to experience for yourself. I think the Cripes might be original due to the fact they were all Midi ready.????
The Cripes are original. bolt actually has the bridge mod done while in the shop on the final tour. it used to have a roller bridge like tophat's. i assume jerry would have had tophat's replaced also.

peace,
waldo

#37899  by paulee
 Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:07 pm
Its been years and years since ive been..his axes were not on display caus jer was still with us...Ill have to get back to my hometown and make a trip up to see em....

"A oh way to go ohio"

#37915  by Mick
 Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:18 pm
It is my understanding that Bolt, Top Hat and Rosebud are owned by Grateful Dead Productions and that they are on loan to the R&R Hall of Fame with the proviso that they be displayed in an area that does not require an admission fee to see. I think this was the outgrowth of the battle over the Irwin guitars, with Wolf and Tiger going back to Doug Irwin, who subsequently auctioned them, and the rest remaining property of GDP. I don't know of any gripe about the Cripes guitars, I think they have been viewed as property of GDP since Jerry's death.

Feel free to correct me if I have this wrong!

#37920  by paulee
 Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:35 pm
Cool, that clears up for me who owns them....I was curious...but was thinkin that GDP still owned them.

#37927  by jenkins
 Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:00 pm
cripes was killed when his workshop blew up but I dont think any of jerry's guitar's were in there with him at the time

#47994  by old man down
 Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:13 pm
What about Alligator? Where is or who owns that?

#48016  by deadguise
 Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:33 pm
It makes you wonder what happened to his older guitars like his SGs, Les Pauls, Banjo, etc...???

#48025  by timothydarcangelo
 Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:15 pm
Alligator was in a Hard Rock Cafe on display,

#48042  by Jon S.
 Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:05 am
The highlight of my trip to Cleveland in '04. I traveled from my home in Virginia to serve as a volunteer precinct legal counselor/observer for the Kerry campaign. I cannot even begin to describe how low I felt the day after the election but visiting the Rock Hall and Jerry's axes raised my spirits.

#48043  by Tennessee Jedi
 Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:14 am
Wow !
Cool pics !
Whats that last guitar?
With no headstock ?
:smile:

#48046  by waldo041
 Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:27 am
that one is dubbed "Wolf Jr"

peace,
waldo

#48047  by Tennessee Jedi
 Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:33 am
Whats the deal with it ?
Was it from the 90's ?
Never used in concert ?
:cool:

#48050  by Tennessee Jedi
 Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:57 am
mucho gracias mi amigo !
:smile:

#48051  by old man down
 Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:17 pm
I could kick myself.

Last year I had to go to Cleveland several times for legal matters. The building I went to, I could see the stadium there along the water and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Asked the lawyers there what it was like. None of them had ever been there. Not one of them. Even the Taxi cab driver hadn't been there. No one I met there had been there when asked.

So, what do you know, I've never been there. :?

Cool thing about Cleveland these day is that there are these guitar sculptures in the downtown area at every corner. Big oversized guitars made by some artist, with BIG, THICK cable strings on them. All of them are different, individual works of art. :wink: