Chat about Equipment Info

#35690  by strumminsix

bucketorain wrote:Once I saw Jerry smoking a fatty on stage....the reason i thought it was a J was becuase when you smoke a smoke you don't take multiple quick hits on it then place it back in the ash tray, you would simply take one haul.

I beleive the show was Buckey Lakes in 91.
Odd.. I knew people (and personally) who used to take small hits to either not get light headed, to not burn lungs, to make sure they don't choke, etc...

But, on a side note, I never heard of JG smoking pot after the 70s. Did he? Would assume so but would also wondering if that wouldn't have made him a zombie with the other indulgences...

#35693  by shakedown_04092

bucketorain wrote:Once I saw Jerry smoking a fatty on stage....the reason i thought it was a J was becuase when you smoke a smoke you don't take multiple quick hits on it then place it back in the ash tray, you would simply take one haul.

There are vids out there that show Jer doing this with a cig....not sure if that was the case w/ your show or not.

#35694  by pappypgh

strumminsix wrote:
But, on a side note, I never heard of JG smoking pot after the 70s. Did he? Would assume so but would also wondering if that wouldn't have made him a zombie with the other indulgences...
Didn't he get busted in his black Beemer 7 series with like a quarter pound of the kind in the late 80s??? I recall some sort of news story on that around 88/89, SS....
PLUS, I know the guy who used to sell to him on the East Coast...hehe...a wonderful strain!!! :D

But, I was at that Buckeye show, too...I think it was a cigarette, but you never know, I guess....GREAT show...that and the 2 at Deer Creek that preceeded to kick off Summer Tour 91....KILLER.

#35695  by strumminsix

Ah, yes, that story is familiar! Thanks for the memory assist!

#35697  by bucketorain

shakedown_04092 wrote:

There are vids out there that show Jer doing this with a cig....not sure if that was the case w/ your show or not.
maybe it was all just a dream...lol

#35706  by broomhead

pappypgh wrote: Didn't he get busted in his black Beemer 7 series with like a quarter pound of the kind in the late 80s??? I recall some sort of news story on that around 88/89, SS....
He was arrested in early 85 for possessing heroin and cocaine.. caught smoking speed balls in golden gate. (any Bay area people out there recall "smiley & Whiplash" from the haight area,peoples park etc.in early mid 80's? quite possibly the 2 most inept undercover cops).

Generally, once heavily involved in hard drugs a person looses interest in the "softer" drugs. but everyone's different.

BTW..pappypgh, I checked out your bands website, WOW you do excellent vocals, VERY young jerry like, Really good!

joe b

#35711  by Chuckles

I don't know, maybe it depends on the specific size of one' fingers, but when I want to switch between picking and fingerpicking I shift the pick from the picking position to have it wedged in between the two middle knuckles on the inside of my right middle finger. If you do it a few times it becomes second nature. If you adjust your hand position based on where the rather limited middle finger now is, you can combine it with the index and ring and chicken pick or double or triple stop as much as you want. (Never have learned to use the pinkie on my right hand...)

Dropping a pick is a foreign idea to me... never saw Jerry drop one... don't recall ever dropping one myself either. Doesn't make me Superman, but how hard is it to hold on to a pick? I meean, how often do you drop a pen or pencil when writing? If you drop a pick more often, you are writing too much and playing too little. (And, btw, Jerry held a pick as if he were writing with it, at the tips of his thumb and first two fingers, as opposed to the conventional flat of the thumb/top edge of the index finger grip. I don't, so maybe that's why I can't play as well as him :roll:) Just sayin'...

I think most of those pick-holder rigs are for grabing a new pick if you rough up the edges of the one you're using too much. Least, that's the way I've always seen it.

#35713  by old man down

Chuckles,

It is not that much of a stretch to imagine Jerry dropping a pick when he admitted in an interview, some quote I read in a recent thread, that his pick was always moving around on him, that he preferred the pointy end of his 351 Fender Extra Hevy.

That's what my pick is always doing, and if I don't address the matter in a timely way, wheeeeeeeee...lost in space. (Warning! Warning!)

But I suppose if he could adjust his glasses constantly, it would have been just as easy for him to roll the pick in his fingers for a sec to get a better grip.

#35721  by pappypgh

broomhead wrote:He was arrested in early 85 for possessing heroin and cocaine.. caught smoking speed balls in golden gate. (any Bay area people out there recall "smiley & Whiplash" from the haight area,peoples park etc.in early mid 80's? quite possibly the 2 most inept undercover cops).

Generally, once heavily involved in hard drugs a person looses interest in the "softer" drugs. but everyone's different.

BTW..pappypgh, I checked out your bands website, WOW you do excellent vocals, VERY young jerry like, Really good!

joe b
Joe B - First off - thanks very much for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the tunes!! Be sure to check out our online FREE DOWNLOADS, too!!

Second - I DO remember that bust from 1985! BUT, I really have a vision (granted 88-90 is kinda blurry for me these days!!) of Jerry in his leather jacket - white haired (which would imply 88-90) exiting a police station....maybe I'm wrong....I just remember something about a pretty decent amount of kb and a Garcia bust. BTW - he didn't stop smoking the greenies, from what I understand...again, I wasn't THERE, but I've got a couple of friends that were.

ROCK ON, Y'ALL!!
:cool:

#35725  by Tennessee Jedi

I think They made Jerry do a benefit concert as part of his sentencing.
I just switched from Fender Mediums to some gray pick that has the size in mm.I like the new pick but I drop them all the time.They have a grip too. :roll:

#35726  by pappypgh

Three words for all you pick droppers:

POWDER COATED TORTEX

my favorite picks....green is my personal fave (thicknesswise)

I still drop 'em every now & again, but I typically wear jeans when we're playing (except in the summertime) and put extras in my little "pick pocket" on the right front pocket. Great design by Misters Levi & Strauss, if you ask me!!

#35732  by Tennessee Jedi

So thats what that little pocket is for!
:cool:

#35738  by Chuckles

pappypgh wrote:Three words for all you pick droppers:

POWDER COATED TORTEX

my favorite picks....green is my personal fave (thicknesswise)

I still drop 'em every now & again, but I typically wear jeans when we're playing (except in the summertime) and put extras in my little "pick pocket" on the right front pocket. Great design by Misters Levi & Strauss, if you ask me!!
Good call! I use the yellow .73's.
:smile:

#35740  by IamDocWatson

dude that is how jerry smoked cigs...he was such a fiend for em he would light em up and hit em a few times real quick just to get him through the next song or two man...i saw a speaker cab of his on sale a while ago that was full of cig burns from lighting them up and just plopping them down after a few quick puffs....quite an addictive personality on mr. garcia

#35786  by CountryMile Cadillac

There is an old picture of the band, Jerry (I think he's got his chops, but I cant remember), is back by the drum riser and they are all passing a huge bowl around. Great afternoon picture with hords of folks in the background