rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #19058  by prankster
 Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:29 am
i am looking to buy a talk box but i am not sure quite what to look for. i also do not know if you NEED a microfone to make it work. if any of you can give me any advice or recimendations it would be appriciated.

#19060  by Banjomike0319
 Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:45 am
I dont know much about talk boxes but I do know you dont need a mic. though.

It comes out of your amp. not a pa.

#19145  by shakedown_04092
 Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:33 am
They're a novelty item and a big waste of $$, IMO. But search on www.youtube.com, I remember seeing a kid who actually shows you how to make a homemade one for around $6...no joke, and it worked pretty good.

#19152  by Hajimemashite!!!
 Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:04 am
Yeah I have a Rocktron Banshee talkbox and im not really all that impressed with it. And you do need a mic. The unit you plug the guitar into has a really small speaker in it and theres a tube that runs from the speaker and up the mic stand. So you play a few notes and when you open or close your mouth nore around the tube, which changes the sound, and that is picked up by the mic.
Personally i wouldnt reccomend the model i have, i got one because of what i would hear frampton do, but it doesnt sound the same. Im sure other models can be better.

All in all its more of a gimmick, not something you use alot.

Ive had it since christmas and havent used it since december

#19243  by waldo041
 Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:50 am
Banjomike0319 wrote:I dont know much about talk boxes but I do know you dont need a mic. though.

It comes out of your amp. not a pa.
i do not mean to bash, only inform.

a microphone IS needed, because the speaker used in a talkbox actually blows the guitar signal thru the tube UP into your mouth where you manipulate it. the sound that comes out of your mouth needs to be mic'd to be heard.

peace,
waldo

#19268  by tigerstrat
 Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:06 pm
My only advice is don't buy a used one- EWWWWWWW GROSS!

#19269  by CaptainTrips
 Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:12 pm
to whoever said it was a gimmick . . . I agree.