rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #18947  by Winterland
 Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:36 pm
How are you people setting up your effects. I have been messing around forever and can use some ideas.
I have a boss pedal board bc60(?)

Twin reverb>Delay>tube screamer>Boss compressor>Phase>Mutron>Telecaster

I need help? Any ideas what order should these be set up in to get better sound?
 #18955  by strumminsix
 Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:19 pm
Winterland wrote:How are you people setting up your effects. I have been messing around forever and can use some ideas.
I have a boss pedal board bc60(?)

Twin reverb>Delay>tube screamer>Boss compressor>Phase>Mutron>Telecaster

I need help? Any ideas what order should these be set up in to get better sound?
I'd run it like this:

Telecaster >
Mutron>
Boss compressor>
tube screamer>
Phase>
Delay>
Twin reverb

Most envelopes like to be first
Running a dirt into a phaser is cool
Delays are always last (with reverb and tremolo)

Where you run your comp is your call. I'd say it depends on what you are using it for.

#18968  by shakedown_04092
 Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:07 pm
What he ^^^ said fo' sho'

#18990  by jahozer
 Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:13 pm
I actually run the compressor before the envelope filter. It kind of acts like jerrys gain loop keeping everything steady. bwow bwow bwow.
the rest I agree with. I may put the ovtaver before qtron as well.
I run ES 335>boss CSII compression>mini Qtron>Octave>tube screamer>multi FX> Boss EQ>Delay DD5>Boss RC2 Loop> Ampeg Superjet.

#18998  by jackr
 Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:42 pm
I keep my compressor right after my crybaby wah. Everything else is after that. I recently got a noise suppressor but I am still playing around with its placement. I figured it would simply go at the very end but I have been reading that that may not necessarily be the best place for it.

Speaking of pedalboards. I just picked this up about a week ago.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/produc ... sku=150137

It was a bit pricey but I really didnt feel like making my own, and I really liked the hard shell case on wheels.

It aint easy lugging all this gear around at my age.
 #19026  by Winterland
 Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:16 am
I will switch some things around and try to get the "SOUND"

I just grabbed this Ibanez as 73 for $200.00 semi hollow body that seems to have a jazz sound and grabs the distortion better.

#19033  by lostsailor8782
 Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:52 am
It's really easy ... take a Strat and a long cord and plug in into a loud tube amp ... boom you got tone, the rest can be done with volume and tone controls and your hands !!!!!!

#19045  by tigerstrat
 Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:55 am
For Jerry sounds, the best placement for those compressors and noise suppressors is OUT of the signal path! :lol:

#19046  by jackr
 Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:58 am
I am not going for the Jerry tone. I am going for the Jackr tone. Haven't found it yet though!

I really like the SRV tone. I am thinking about a Keeley modded tube screamer. Anyone use one of them?

#19050  by strumminsix
 Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:30 am
jackr wrote:I am not going for the Jerry tone. I am going for the Jackr tone. Haven't found it yet though!
Right on brutha man!
jackr wrote:I really like the SRV tone. I am thinking about a Keeley modded tube screamer. Anyone use one of them?
For SRV you need to have 64 Vibroverb with a Jensen AlNiCo which I happen to own and may be willing to part with it for the right price!
(I'm totally joking here it's a ridiculously expensive amp that I am fortunate enough to have gotten on trade which was totally in my favor cuz the guy didn't want to hassle to restore nor the capital to pay for service)

#19053  by jackr
 Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:08 am
I did buy an SRV strat. I just love that fat neck and its tone. It is a bitch to get used to the whammy bar at the top though.

But if it was good emough for hendrix and srv it is certainly good enough for me.

#19054  by strumminsix
 Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:10 am
jackr wrote:I did buy an SRV strat. I just love that fat neck and its tone. It is a bitch to get used to the whammy bar at the top though.
I'm sure. What type of amp do you use?

#19056  by jackr
 Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:17 am
I use a Fender Twin Amp 100-Watt All-Tube Guitar Amp

The vibroverb was too expensive and I really liked the sound of this one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/produc ... sku=480649

#19065  by jahozer
 Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:12 am
jackr wrote:I am not going for the Jerry tone. I am going for the Jackr tone. Haven't found it yet though!

I really like the SRV tone. I am thinking about a Keeley modded tube screamer. Anyone use one of them?
No, but I use the analogman silver mod tube screamer. I absolutely love it. Very versatile. Can get the old 808 brown sound, and a brighter (silver) sound as well.
For Jerry sounds, the best placement for those compressors and noise suppressors is OUT of the signal path!
I know, I know, but I dont play in a Dead tribute band. I like to have a dynamic rig so I can get lots of sounds. I get a very close to authentic Jerry sound with my rig,(with compy off..) And I like the long sustain of the compressor.
I guess I do disagree a bit, because the main reason for the "Jerry loop" was to keep a steady signal to the mutron and still have control from the volume knobs. Thats what the comp does in essence.

#19067  by jahozer
 Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:15 am
and these days I am more of the "bobby" in my band, which kinda threw me for a loop, so now I am looking for glassy flangy sounds. I knew I kept that multifx around for something other than a tuner and its very improbbably awesome sounding ring mod.