Chat about Equipment Info

#15496  by tigerstrat

strumminsix wrote:Totally agree with the amount of maintenance that tube amps require for a gigging musician. Some days I wonder if the "sound crew" wasn't so overwhelmed with the "WoS" and other massive amplification projects if JG would have stayed with tube poweramps?
I really don't think so. Maybe if he wasn't getting a fantastic tone with the MC2300-powered rig... but he was! But the word "stability" is key here: it's something Jerry in 77 said was one of the top traits he looked for in any piece of gear. Something that you can rely on in any conditions to do and sound exactly as you expect it to... not just once it's "warmed-up" or "broken-in" or in some grey area right before the component wears out on you in the middle of performing.

#15501  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Totally agree with the amount of maintenance that tube amps require for a gigging musician. Some days I wonder if the "sound crew" wasn't so overwhelmed with the "WoS" and other massive amplification projects if JG would have stayed with tube poweramps?
I really don't think so. Maybe if he wasn't getting a fantastic tone with the MC2300-powered rig... but he was! But the word "stability" is key here: it's something Jerry in 77 said was one of the top traits he looked for in any piece of gear. Something that you can rely on in any conditions to do and sound exactly as you expect it to... not just once it's "warmed-up" or "broken-in" or in some grey area right before the component wears out on you in the middle of performing.
I can see that and you are right.,. I know that with different amps they sound best at different stages of being "on". Oddly enough sometimes I think amps get too hot and sound bad. For clean playing most amps seem to sound best around 30 - 90 minutes. I wonder if that came into the equation?

#15548  by jjbankhead

i can actually feel my brain melting trying to remember all these pre amp names....:?

i wish i had paid more attention in school... :D

well I'll be looking for some of these in the future, thanks for all the info guys, for schmucks like me i just see a big speaker cabinet at the guitar shop and say "wow" and think it must be cool because its expensive...

#15554  by strumminsix

jjbankhead wrote:i can actually feel my brain melting trying to remember all these pre amp names....:?

i wish i had paid more attention in school... :D

well I'll be looking for some of these in the future, thanks for all the info guys, for schmucks like me i just see a big speaker cabinet at the guitar shop and say "wow" and think it must be cool because its expensive...
Bro, don't get overwhelmed... Let me try to wrap things up in a nicer package...

It's better to have a fewer quality components then many low quality or mixed low and high quality (worst).

If I were to help a newer guitarist here how we'd shop:
1. The right guitar* - hums with coil tapping ability - it must sound good unplugged
2. Quality cables** - Mogami or LiveWire
3. Quality clean amp - new, 65 Fender Twin RI used Dual Showman and cab with JBL like speakers
4. Effects
--- EQ to bring up your volume when you cut to single coils
--- Quality OD
--- Quality Envelope
--- Quality Phaser
--- Quality Delay

IMO, the brand of the FX JG and BW used don't necessarily get me sounding like them or I just don't like them that's why I stayed away from any specific brands. If you are interested in my opinions:
OD = Barber LTD SR
Envelope = BYOC DOD440 (I'm currently auditioning an Emma Discumbobulator)
Phaser = Maxon PH350
Delay = ??? Gonna try the BYOC maybe

As far as vintage Fender amps go for big clean:
Twin
Showman
Pro Reverb

Current production for cleans:
Twin Re-Issue
Fender Prosonic
Hotrod deluxe (will need a more efficient speaker, tube upgrade and a quick mod to control the bass)

*Most stock guitars don't have coil tapping and a pickup upgrade will take care of this.

** The reason for these brands is that they are great and are replaced on the spot for any failure at GC.

#15555  by tigerstrat

jjbankhead wrote:i can actually feel my brain melting trying to remember all these pre amp names....:?

JJ, I think we had only referenced a preamp once in that whole exchange, and that simply as "Fender".

We were mostly sidetracking into a power amp discussion about tube power(whether solidstate-rectified or tube-rectified?)...vs solidstate power. I think we already have just such a discussion in some recent thread, but we needed to hijack this one for some reason. :x

#15556  by BayAreaBB

Strumminsix -

How goes the Emma Discumbobulator audition? I'm interested to hear. I have an original Mu-Tron III true bypassed that is a very early serial # (pre patent and pre power cord ability) but was never quite happy with it. I'd spend the majority of my time tweaking with the darn thing. So I recently bought an EHQtron and think the pedal is great. I'm tempted to buy the Emma as well but didn't know if it is effectively the same thing as the EH. Wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks.

#15560  by strumminsix

BayAreaBB wrote:Strumminsix -

How goes the Emma Discumbobulator audition? I'm interested to hear. I have an original Mu-Tron III true bypassed that is a very early serial # (pre patent and pre power cord ability) but was never quite happy with it. I'd spend the majority of my time tweaking with the darn thing. So I recently bought an EHQtron and think the pedal is great. I'm tempted to buy the Emma as well but didn't know if it is effectively the same thing as the EH. Wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks.
To avoid further side-tracking and keep good information available I've started a few threads in teh guitar forum: http://community.rukind.org/viewforum.php?f=319

3 new ones all starting with Pedal Review for dirt, envelope and filter

Re:

#150873  by Ebearius

lostsailor8782 wrote:
Pigpen wrote:So this would be a good buy? Im looking to fatten up my tone and sound more Jerry like so i though this would be perfect. thanks Blob btw
If you wana sound more like Jerry ... fat tone whatever .... yea the mxr distortion but try big fat juicy fender preamp then big fat juicy mac amps ... oh yea and he could play a little, alot of that tone was in his hands .. bottom line ... you have a shitty amp regardless of your effects you have shitty tone ... next guy that tells me about this great tone his Peavey Bandit has......... oh God kill him and put him out of his misery !!!

This is amusing. Yesterday, I ran across a Peavey Bandit with an upgraded speaker for under a hundred bucks. I thought the tone was surprisingly good. Had to buy it. I regularly play a 1966 Princeton Reverb and a modded '74 Twin. I know good tone. The Peavey can produce a very serviceable sound for, literally, pocket change. Any time someone pops up looking for a "budget Jerry rig", these should be on the radar.