Chat about Equipment Info
 #107095  by vwjodyme

I just got my first slide for xmas...any easy-ish slide songs/solo's come to mind for me to learn?
thx
 #107097  by Tennessee Jedi

I've been messing with slide a bit , too
On Row Jimmy
sounds like crap
:-)
I found a cool lil bottle at a bottle dump that I use ....
I have a metal one cut from pipe I dont like ....
Its fun though
Freebird intro solo is easy-ish - its slow and you have heard it a million times so that helps
Have fun
:D
 #107099  by vwjodyme

Thanks Jedi! I forgot about freebird...as soon as i read your post i started singing the solo in my head :lol:
 #107101  by Dwarf Rat

Statesboro Blues from the first Taj Mahal album is pretty much the first and last words on how to play slide.
 #107103  by hotasaPistol

Don't forget any song that Bobby plays slide on :lol: :lol: :lol:
 #107104  by gr8fullfred

Little Red Rooster is a GD bluesy number, where on some occasions both Jerry and Bob were playing a slide.
I would recommend not letting Bob influence your slide playing, being that Bob's slide playing is less than musical on many an occasion. Duane, Johnny Winter and Derrick Trucks are the guys to emulate on the slide playing.

Pretty much any bluesy song will lend itself to slide playing.

I play a pretty good Free Bird intro, if I do say so myself.
 #107105  by hotasaPistol

Warren Haynes has a good dvd on slide........
 #107108  by tcsned

One Way Out by the Allmans isn't a bad one.

FYI - Gary Rossington used two G strings in unison instead of a B string on Freebird (also stuck a screwdriver under the top three strings to raise the action up if you're having trouble getting the right sound though I've always played it unmodified.
 #107109  by jeffm725

tcsned wrote:One Way Out by the Allmans isn't a bad one.

FYI - Gary Rossington used two G strings in unison instead of a B string on Freebird (also stuck a screwdriver under the top three strings to raise the action up if you're having trouble getting the right sound though I've always played it unmodified.
that is GREAT information, tcsned. I did know about the screwdriver, you can see it there on live videos, but I did not know about the unison G strings........I play it unmodified and while I hit the right notes, I always wondered why Rossington sounded "thicker" on the G string notes. This explains EVERYTHING......
 #107115  by TI4-1009

hotasaPistol wrote:Don't forget any song that Bobby plays slide on :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please God, let me forget every song Bobby played slide on!
 #107116  by NSP

TI4-1009 wrote:
hotasaPistol wrote:Don't forget any song that Bobby plays slide on :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please God, let me forget every song Bobby played slide on!
Ha...Was just listening to '78 Winterland new years yesterday and my wife and I had a good laugh at Bobby's slide work at the end of Stagger Lee...ouch.
 #107117  by tcsned

jeffm725 wrote:
tcsned wrote:One Way Out by the Allmans isn't a bad one.

that is GREAT information, tcsned. I did know about the screwdriver, you can see it there on live videos, but I did not know about the unison G strings........I play it unmodified and while I hit the right notes, I always wondered why Rossington sounded "thicker" on the G string notes. This explains EVERYTHING......
Yeah, I got backstage at a Skynyrd show a while back and asked him about it. He used a screwdriver for the studio version and used some sort of wire later on he put them under the top 3 strings only. He'd play slide up to the solo and then yank the wire out and play power chords to the end. He was super nice, also had a nice conversation with Hughie Thomason at that show.
 #107120  by JonnyBoy

There is an old delta guy that makes slides out of liquor/wine bottles by hand here and sells them at a few local music stores in the area. They are 20 bucks and the bomb. Glass thick enough you can't break it. Been making them for years. If anyone is interested I can get u one. The are so comfy and a breeze to maneuver.

I have seen lots of techniques and approaches like changing tunings, action, strings , special guitars,dobros, lap steels. I like to Play off the pentatonic scale with a mixture of some major licks on a traditional blues song in standard tuning. Statesboro blues was my first learning song and the licks are very usable in all blues songs today. You can take a dead approach but they aren't the first fellas I think of when I think slide.