Chat about Equipment Info
 #98975  by keirweir

3.5 days from a gig and my guitar just started acting a fool...

I was rehearsing with DLG last night and an issue came up with my guitar. The tone knob for the middle PU possibly crapped out or there's a bad connection.

Essentially, the only way my guitar would work is if the tone knob for the middle PU was all the way up. If I even touched it slightly it would "pop pop pop" and would go dead. I couldn't get the OBEL signal or the direct. If I rolled the tone knob all the way up it would pop but once it hit 100% up it would bring both the OBEL and direct signal back.

I frequently play with the tone knob (specifically with distortion) and its habit at this point.

Rusty the scoob and I took the backplate off and inspected the pot. All connections visually seemed to be ok. The ground looked half assed and could be re-set but otherwise no visual issues.

There's no way I want to play a gig without my Eagle guitar (It's not fucking happening) so I'm scrambling here.

Its a quality Pot and only a year old.
Any insight here?
 #98982  by hippieguy1954

Just switch it out with another one and you will know if it's the pot or not! I've seen pots go in a year because the quality control ( at the factory) isn't up to snuff. Unless your beatin the crap out of it.
 #98984  by keirweir

The plot thickens...

I just got back from taking my guitar to the local guitar shop technician. :shock:

I couldn't reproduce the issue... Just minutes ago I was just using a standard cable and the tone knob worked fine. Last night I was of course using my OBEL cables. I'll have to try to test it tonight with the OBEL cables. This is a recipe for gig disaster :?:

The tech said it could have been condensation or random freak incident. I can't help but fee like having the mono and stereo cables was a factor but he insisted that was not possible. :?
 #98987  by hogan

plug your obel and mono cables in, wiggle them around in the jacks, aggressively move the cables around on the floor, shake/hit your guitar. Anything to indicate a bad connection. If this doesn't get the problem to occur, open up the guitar electronics cavity at poke around at connections w/ a stick, again to see if you can insight the problem.
Also, open up and inspect the obel & mono cables.
 #98988  by myoung6923

How's your battery? It doesn't sound like a battery problem b
It certainly worth checking out.

You are welcome to borrow one of mine either to use or as a backup if you need.
 #98994  by keirweir

myoung6923 wrote:How's your battery? It doesn't sound like a battery problem b
It certainly worth checking out.

You are welcome to borrow one of mine either to use or as a backup if you need.
The battery is almost new. I changed it out a couple gigs ago but its worth checking as I just purchased a new pack of batteries.

I really appreciate the offer Mike, I'll let you know!
 #98999  by drewfx

My first thought would be the wrong end of the tone cap might be shorting to ground somewhere?
 #99000  by playingdead

It's almost certainly guaranteed to go out during the second song of the night, especially if it's behaving now. These things can sense when you really need them to work, and that's when they go bad.

I would replace it, and if you can't find a replacement in time, swap the bridge-neck pot for it instead.
 #99005  by strumminsix

would a super simple way to check the CAP be to simply snip it? Snip it good.
 #99010  by JonnyBoy

I bet it has a bad connection in the guitars pit of wires. check to see if any connections are touching or if any spliced wires are missing electrical tape.
 #99011  by keirweir

playingdead wrote:It's almost certainly guaranteed to go out during the second song of the night, especially if it's behaving now. These things can sense when you really need them to work, and that's when they go bad.

I would replace it, and if you can't find a replacement in time, swap the bridge-neck pot for it instead.
Yes, there's no doubt this thing is poised to crap the bed at the opening notes of the show.

The local guitar tech I use off and on (for simple tasks) said to bring it back if my tests reveal a flaw tonight.

The tone pot is a 500K pot correct? I could simply tell this guy to replace this pot and reconnect everything.

The last time I had him do this my Jerrified Shecter came back sounding terrible and I had to have it re-wired... BLAH
 #99012  by strumminsix

You can ask him to make the changes while you are there and offer him double his bench time.
 #99013  by jackr

Are you talking about the Eagle.