rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #95752  by Dozin
 Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:01 am
Definitely the green/clean channel. I kind of like it going through the tube more than the FET. Try both ways. I'm curious what you think about it.
 #95754  by jeffm725
 Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:04 am
strumminsix wrote:MK, my SMS & TubeWorks is awesome! The new Roland cubes are great! Roland also has 77s that are lighter.

Jeff, for my 80s shows I do a SansAmp Cali directly into the board and it's outstanding!!
I bet it is.

By the way, I agree with you on the Cubes, they are nice!

I am seriously looking at getting radical in search of that direct sound. I will not sell my Boogie or Deluxe or PG-1, so I can always go back to where I was, but this time I am going to try some stuff out and have no pre-conceived notions on what I THINK should work, and rather just let my ears decide.
I mean, who would think about plugging into a hotspot as a guitar amp? I NEVER would do that, just out of gear snob principle, but it is time to let my principles go :-) . Now I dont think that specifically the PPM (personal powered monitor) is the full time solution, but it just re-awoke that whole "Weir sounds direct" notion that we toss around on here a couple times a year or so. I've got some investigating to do. :-)
 #95766  by strumminsix
 Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:54 am
And I sold my IVP for similar reasons as the both of you!

JeffM, like you I started with needed a Sansamp Blonde to go direct with my POD XT as a backup. With those I don't hear much cab/mic/room emulation. I'd describe it more like preamp + compensating tone& EQ for cab/mic/room. But the Blonde drove me nuts but I kept thinking about it. So heard more demos of the Cali and read that they used an Mk2 as the baseline clean with EV as the speakers and thought...hmmmm. I ordered a mod one with XLR out and allowing for phantom power and am IN LOVE. But only for the 80s stuff. Amp+speakers+close mic for 70s for me!!
 #95816  by Dozin
 Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:09 pm
I put Blue on the back burner and played my PMC tonight. Went through my Mesa Sudio -> Crest LA601 and Brad's SSBB and it's perfect! I can really cut through the band like butter. I don't know why it sounds so different than my Dean Markley combo which is 150w solid state but it's a big difference. The tone is thicker, richer and crystal sounding. The trick I think is finding that sweetspot between how much preamp gain mixed with Master Volume. The guitar is already at 10. If I add to much preamp it's over driven but if I back off until it just starts to sound clean and crank the master volume up it's beautiful.
 #95850  by Dozin
 Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:51 pm
mkaufman wrote:Dozin - doesn't the RM150 have one tube? I think it's SS only when you use the FET switch.

Also - pretty sure in this case, your have tube pre and SS power amp?

mk
Yes, the RM has 1 tube. I haven't had the chance to run the DM as a preamp, only as a combo