#57400  by GratefulPat

so ive playin with this for an hour or so now... but first you must know its my first time playing anything with a slide... so anyways, i got the basic slides into d7 for the verse, then i slide up to the 14th fret for the a7? then the 19th for the d7 in the next verse, course is e7 d7 a7 is believe.. but i need help with just some basic slide stuff on this song for the solo and intro while bobs doin the basic rooster riff.... a video would be nice!
 #57407  by ronster

Pat
First of all I am not hearing any 7ths. All bar chords using the A position or slide. Also, I never slide up into the A chord, it is always played into by doing the D C A chord thing

Using primarly the D and G strings indicated it goes something like this

s7 5 2 2 ------- (2x)
5s6s7 7 ------- (2x)
7 5 2 2 ------
s7 5 2 -----
7s8s9 9 ---
8s7 7---
7 5 2 2-----

and now to try and answer your question
Jerry is playing in the usual suspect A mixo or D scale.
something like this

E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|----------------------13-----13-----13--15--15--13------15/17--15------15------15--17--
G|--14--12------12--14------14-----14------------------14-------------16------16----------
D|----------14-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|----A------------------------------------D-----------------E--------------------

the key to playing the slide appears to be taking your time and sounding each note and not trying to place to much. Jerry lets it rip when he plays his lead without the slide.
 #57585  by bucketorain

speaking of slides, what is the best way to play a slide...i have messed around with it a bit and it sounds like crap...should i be using a glass or steel slide? does my guitar have to be tuned differently...what is the story?

thanks for any suggestions.