Stratoblaster - video, sound clip, opinions

Chat about Equipment Info

Stratoblaster - video, sound clip, opinions

Postby George » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:11 pm

I'm debating if I should put the alembic stratoblaster into my strat. I've searched here and youtube, etc for a demo, but haven't found anything. Is there any chance that someone who has one would be able to put up a short sound clip or video demo? How do you like it? Can you describe the tone? My local tech tells me that it's basically like putting a distortion pedal into your guitar. He doesn't really care for them - says they're noisy and you can get better tonal variety and control from a pedal. If you have the blaster on can you still run your guitar into various pedals or will the amped signal damage pedals? Many thanks for advice and opinions!
George
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby paulinnc » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:40 pm

Check out http://www.generalguitargadgets.com They offer a stratoblaster pedal kit, it is pretty cheap and probably really easy to assemble. So you could put it together see if you like the sound. If you still want to mount it in the guitar it is probably small enought to fit under the pickguard.
paulinnc

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:11 am

the stratoblaster is a clean boost, more of an overdrive then distortion. it will push the front end of an amp a little harder, and that could distort, butthe SB stays pretty much clean, with bite.

i'd also check out the GGG website. it is a super simple circuit.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby DooDahDan » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:31 am

I have a stratoblaster in my 2000 Am. Dlx. strat. It adds I believe 25 db of boost. It certainly adds a bit more to the "quack" in the 2 and 4 position. Listen to early Clapton solo stuff like "Let It Rain" to give a you a taste of what it may sound like (at least that's what my ears hear). I also think it adds just a bit of compression as well but that could just be the effect of the boost. I like it but it's a pain to change the battery, which sits under the pickguard. If I had to do it over again, I would just do the GGG pedal route.
DooDahDan
Brent
Brent

Postby jonarobb » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:21 pm

I posted some info on my guitar which has a Stratoblaster in it. I can't speak highly enough about it. It's a crucial piece of my early 70's Jerry sound, as well as just a great clean preamp. The Stratoblaster does not distort itself. It's just designed to take the low output single coils and give em' a kick in the ass so to speak.

http://community.rukind.org/viewtopic.php?t=4854
jonarobb

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:01 pm

DooDahDan wrote:I have a stratoblaster in my 2000 Am. Dlx. strat. It adds I believe 25 db of boost. It certainly adds a bit more to the "quack" in the 2 and 4 position. Listen to early Clapton solo stuff like "Let It Rain" to give a you a taste of what it may sound like (at least that's what my ears hear). I also think it adds just a bit of compression as well but that could just be the effect of the boost. I like it but it's a pain to change the battery, which sits under the pickguard. If I had to do it over again, I would just do the GGG pedal route.

On a strat, it's very easy to mount a battery inside the trem cavity, unless you are using all 5 springs. Then just leave the trem cover off for easy access. My strat has 4 springs, screwed down very tight with the bridge flush against the body. I put a little elctrical tape on the battery and it is held by friction between the middle two springs. I would never have it somewhere I couldn't access it in a hurry.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby George » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:34 pm

i've been convinced. just ordered it from alembic and will have it installed with all my other new goodies - pickups, pots, caps, bridge, nut, fret redressing. can't wait to get this axe back!!! i'm going crazy waiting!
George
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:33 am

George wrote:i've been convinced. just ordered it from alembic and will have it installed with all my other new goodies - pickups, pots, caps, bridge, nut, fret redressing. can't wait to get this axe back!!! i'm going crazy waiting!

are you installing the garcia effects loop? if so, you won't be able to install it traditionally as alembic sends them out. to incorporate the effects loop ala jerry, you'll have to pull the switch off the board and mod it for always on. then it can be placed in the garcia circuit properly. if not, and you go the alembic way, your options will be Blaster(low impedance) and normal guitar (high impedance). on jerry's wolf with single coils the switch is believed to have controlled a modded blaster that is always on, and the gain is toggled on and off with the switch. all the time keeping the low impedance signal as he did with pretty much all his guitars. both the always on and toggled gain mods are pretty easy to do.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby George » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:47 pm

Thanks Wadlo!!! For now I'm not doing the effects loop, so I'll just install the blaster and use it either on or off. I'd like to be able to control the gain on it without the use of a small screwdriver. I'm wondering if I can mod it somehow to have a small dial come thru the pickguard, so I can adjust it much more easily on the fly, if desired. Any thoughts on this?
George
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:49 pm

George wrote:Thanks Wadlo!!! For now I'm not doing the effects loop, so I'll just install the blaster and use it either on or off. I'd like to be able to control the gain on it without the use of a small screwdriver. I'm wondering if I can mod it somehow to have a small dial come thru the pickguard, so I can adjust it much more easily on the fly, if desired. Any thoughts on this?

from alembic it will have just that on the brass jack plate it comes with. you could remove the trimpot and replace it with a potentiometer.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion