Bass cab question

Bass cab question

Postby jefkahn » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:33 am

Hey bass guys,

I'm setting up a new bass rig that needs to be loud enough to keep up with a guitarist playing through a 100 watt Marshall. (No, it's not a Dead band.). I picked up an Ashdown MAG600H EVO II head which puts out 600 watts RMS at 4 ohms. For a cab I'd love to have Phil's four Eden 410s, but since I'm not Phil, I'm gonna start out with the D210XLT, which is rated 350 watts RMS, and I'm gonna get the 8 ohm. I may add a second cab down the road.

Am I right in thinking that if I go with the single 210 that my amp won't put out more than about 300 watts but that the single cab would be able to handle that with more than enough headroom? And that might just be loud enough. And if I added a second similar cab someday that I'd still be good because I could have a total of 4 ohms in my pair of cabs, and then I could make use of all 600 watts of the head should I need them.

Sound right?

Thanks,
Jef
...things we've never seen will seem familiar...
jefkahn
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: Bass cab question

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:42 am

You're on the right track, and your info all looks good except that it's really more like 450 watts at 8 ohms I think, it doesn't cut directly in half as it would be at 4 ohms.

Still - If your guy with the 100W Marshall cranks it all the way up, very few reasonable club-sized bass rigs will keep up. I'd say you'll have enough power to keep up with a loud un-amplified drummer, and that's all you really need.
Rusty the Scoob

Re: Bass cab question

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 pm

jefkahn wrote:Hey bass guys,

I'm setting up a new bass rig that needs to be loud enough to keep up with a guitarist playing through a 100 watt Marshall. (No, it's not a Dead band.). I picked up an Ashdown MAG600H EVO II head which puts out 600 watts RMS at 4 ohms. For a cab I'd love to have Phil's four Eden 410s, but since I'm not Phil, I'm gonna start out with the D210XLT, which is rated 350 watts RMS, and I'm gonna get the 8 ohm. I may add a second cab down the road.

Am I right in thinking that if I go with the single 210 that my amp won't put out more than about 300 watts but that the single cab would be able to handle that with more than enough headroom? And that might just be loud enough. And if I added a second similar cab someday that I'd still be good because I could have a total of 4 ohms in my pair of cabs, and then I could make use of all 600 watts of the head should I need them.

Sound right?

Thanks,
Jef

If your asking About This ohm-age stuff.you might be talking to the wrong dude. :D But I use a Genz Benz Four 10' inch Cab. Sitting on top of a Peavey 18' inch Speaker cab. I Feel that the Four 10's Give me that Good Middle tone, and The 18 Gives me My Low Mobility ( I Have A 6-String bass) But i still feel that there is something wrong with my Higher Pitched Notes, If i need Another Four 10' inch? Or mabey Something different, But My Amp Head is maxed out Speaker Wise, But Ohm-age. Your better Of leaving it to my Buddy Scoooooooob. :lol:
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Return to Phil Sound