Rosebuddy's Guts.

Rosebuddy's Guts.

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Back in May I was nudged into making some tweaks to my guitar and I took some photos while I had it open on the operating table.

Before:

The Cutler UGB:

After:
I also rotated the middle pup so that when tapped the south coil would just be on. I think this was actually a mistake, because due to the PRS' scale length it sits a little low and thus is twangier now.
I'm going to spin it back next time I change strings, that said anyone have a better alternative that the spring loaded mounting screws? what a pain in the ass to deal with..

My hat's off to anyone who does their own wiring. It was a total rat's nest under that pickguard!
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Re: Rosebuddy's Guts.

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:43 pm

I took my EG apart thinking of building a JG version but I just cant get it right. I have the Pups and the buffer but no way to wire that thing so it sits in its case until I figure it out! Good job on yours!
jdsmodulus

Re: Rosebuddy's Guts.

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:05 pm

@jdsmodulus

Thanks man, its a total joy to deal with this stuff. As much as I like the playability of the EG If I had to do it over I'd look for another platform. After a few years of playing and obsessing about the tone of this guitar I have developed the opinion that a big part of the tone comes from the density of the Irwin guitars. they are SOLID! The EG is basically swiss cheesed with all of the routes in it in addition, the wood itself just doesn't match the mass of the Irwin/Alembic hippie sandwich.

that said the Dimarzio's are so hot that they really bring a ton of the tone just on their own, as I sit here reading and typing I have the EG plugged into a little Orange practice amp and it's absolutely singing Garcia. So I think that for sure you can drive yourself nutz over all of this stuff and it's real important to know when to say enough is enough and be content with what you got. Which I am, but alas I'm a tinkerer so the show rolls on.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Return to Jerry Tone