late Jerry Tone

late Jerry Tone

Postby The Stag » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:01 pm

Has anyone here ever tried to duplicate Jerry's 93 to 95 era guitar sound? and been sucessfull? I have tried some acoustic simulator pedals but nothing seems to give it that real jerry like tone even with a buffer in my guitar. Any help would be aprecciated.
Dan Jr
The Stag
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: late Jerry Tone

Postby mijknahs » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:34 pm

I didn't know anyone would really want to...
mijknahs

Postby playingdead » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:39 pm

My belief is Garcia's 94-95 tone is essentially all the same guitar electronics, preamp and effects as before, minus the power amp and speaker cabinet with the JBLs. He ran off the Trio direct to the board. I did some testing for the hell of it at a gig last year and removed the impulse response JBL E-120 cabinet block from my Garcia preset on the AxeFX, and this is the result (same guitar, same preset both videos):

Cabinet block on (my regular Jerry tone):

Cabinet block off (the reviled "Bolt" tone):

playingdead

Postby JamminJommy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:15 pm

Though it may not be pleasing... it's very very authentic.

Great? tone on Peggy-O! Great playing any way you slice it, though.

Peace,

Jommy
Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theuncommonsenseband
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby The Stag » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:18 am

though that is a nice different tone but not the bolt sound but close to it. im looking on how to get the 94 las vegas its on youtube jerry s guitar has a acoustic like tone but juiced up maybe is the term. any info on that sound would be great but to playing dead thank you for sharing sounding good
Dan Jr
The Stag
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mijknahs » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Yeah Vic,

I don't really like that direct "Bolt" tone but your playing is sweet.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby playingdead » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:48 pm

I don't like it either, only time I've ever used it and just one the one tune, as an experiment. Ick.
playingdead

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:55 pm

New to the forum here, but in regards to late jerry bolt tone, i have been intrigued by the carvin dc 400's with the piezo. i believe the bolt had a piezo that jerry played on some of the late stuff, but i am not a pro or expert as some of you on this forum, so it could just be removal of the cabs and power amp that gave him this super clean "dolby digital 5.1" sound such as the stuff on youtube from 94, but some of it had to be the piezo, as i have never heard super 2's sound like that.
like waves against the bandstand dancers broke
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Postby JamminJommy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:09 pm

Actually you'd be surprised how much Super II's DO sound like that. When running them through a pre-amp only, they easily sound rather acoustic. Granted, I'm no expert, but I've definitely gotten some of those acousticy tones out of them, but clean clean clean through a PA, not through a Twin.

Peace,

Jommy
Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theuncommonsenseband
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:14 pm

GeneralGoldilocks wrote: i have never heard super 2's sound like that.

yes you have, but just didn't know it.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:31 pm

playingdead wrote:My belief is Garcia's 94-95 tone is essentially all the same guitar electronics, preamp and effects as before, minus the power amp and speaker cabinet with the JBLs.

they ran him direct, with speaker cab emulation and remote amp and speaker simulation. appears to be one big experiment that ended when jerry passed. the speaker simulation cases can be seen onstage for both jerry and bob in silver cases, the ones sold at the ramrod auction.

http://www.bonhams.com/usa/auction/15537/lot/51/

http://www.bonhams.com/usa/auction/15537/lot/52/

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:07 pm

cool, guess you learn something new everyday, this is an awesome forum and i am learning a lot. maybe the youtube stuff is a bad example, how about the scarlet begonias from eugene 6-19-94. Man, that sounds like some piezo mixed in there, but what a difference in general from going direct to the board with no amp and cab. I agree, i like earlier jerry tone, but the later stuff is cool because it's different. http://www.archive.org/details/gd94-06- ... sbeok.shnf
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:24 pm

also, besides the carvin dc 400 with the piezo, i believe there is a fender strat with a piezo that is similar to the carvin set up as well. you can blend the pups with the piezo. i played one in a music store awhile ago and sounded kind of cool, although i wouldn't buy one. but i don't know if this is the tone you are looking for. you mentioned acoustic simulator pedals, which i have no experience with, but i bet the piezo would do a better job of getting an "acoustic" tone out of an electric guitar. and yes, i agree, most of the stuff on youtube is super 2 tone on the bolt, they are very versatile pups.
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Postby The Stag » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:58 pm

i think the late jerry tone is sweet also his vocals but i dont have a trio i have a fender twin. so what would you suggest i do? also i have a cat replica with the buffer and supper 2s and the acoustic simulator just isnt getting it. thanks, Dan
Dan Jr
The Stag
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby The Stag » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:54 pm

this is the tone im talking about. very clean, Dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpGmBw6Bufs
Dan Jr
The Stag
Terrapin
Terrapin