Dark Star " Master Class "

Dark Star " Master Class "

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed May 18, 2011 11:28 am

Only watched a bit of this but it covers a lot of ground
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Re: Dark Star " Master Class "

Postby jeffm725 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:05 pm

Just in the first couple minutes you can tell he has a handle on the stuff. He's doing the "jerry" riffs with his right hand and the classic "Phil" contrapuntal stuff with his left hand.Very tough to play "against" each other like that. It is PHD level of the old "Pat your head while rubbing your belly in circles" routine.
Good keys players piss me off (and amaze me), they can accompany themselves in a wonderful manner that guitarists (save Stanley Jordan) can only dream about.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby strumminsix » Wed May 18, 2011 1:23 pm

"The concept guides you as you create" ~ 00:51:00... Powerful

Only made it 1 hr. will have to check out the rest later...

His notes: http://www.davefrankjazz.com/ustream/dead/dead.html
strumminsix

Postby jahozer » Thu May 19, 2011 5:02 am

If anyone doubts the importance of theory and the use of modes, you have to watch this. This is really amazing the way he breaks it down. Of course the boys werent thinking all of this stuff while playing, but they had it so ingrained in them that it was instinctual.
As Miles used to say learn it to forget it.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Pete B. » Thu May 19, 2011 8:48 am

I'm trying to watch this guys demo but the choking sound he makes makes with his throat every time he touches the piano is F'n drivin' me nuts.
Hey that reminds me of a joke...
A Pirate walks into a bar.
The Bartender says.. Hey Cap'n, Ya know you have the ships steering wheel attached to your dick???
The pirate says...
Ayyye Mate'ee... And it's Drivin' mee Nuts!
:roll:
Pete B.

Postby Stevo123 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:24 am

Very cool video! The explanation of the individual instrumental roles and how they relate to the group is really detailed and informative. Anyone trying to wrap their head around Dark Star should watch this video.

Although I think there are way better and more cohesive/magical versions of Dark Star out there he could have used as examples! My fave is still the one where they give a little tour of the modes by going into A7-G7 and Amaj7-Gmaj7 jams. Bob really lights that one up, in the live/dead version in the video he sounds a bit disjointed.
Stevo123
Mickey
Mickey

Postby jahozer » Thu May 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Stevo123 wrote:Very cool video! The explanation of the individual instrumental roles and how they relate to the group is really detailed and informative. Anyone trying to wrap their head around Dark Star should watch this video.

Although I think there are way better and more cohesive/magical versions of Dark Star out there he could have used as examples! My fave is still the one where they give a little tour of the modes by going into A7-G7 and Amaj7-Gmaj7 jams. Bob really lights that one up, in the live/dead version in the video he sounds a bit disjointed.

I think those are called "beautiful jam" segments
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Return to Dark Star