McIntosh MC250 - New Owner!

McIntosh MC250 - New Owner!

Postby schmidtz » Fri May 13, 2011 3:26 pm

I put a really low max bid on a McIntosh MC250. Ended up winning the thing.
The only problem is that the power cord is cut, but I should be able to just solder a new one in there, right?
I guess now I don't have to worry about my Twin being Ultralinear, as the crappy power section is no longer used!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

$305 is a good price, right?
"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."
schmidtz
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: McIntosh MC250 - New Owner!

Postby ChiroVette » Fri May 13, 2011 8:21 pm

Congratulations!

Even if the amp has other problems that you are not aware of, it is probably still a great deal. Are you planning on using it as your power-amp in a typical Jerry setup?
ChiroVette
tiger
tiger

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 am

Damn Skippy! That was a great deal!! As long as it works and If the cord is the only problem, that is a smokin deal. I would buy a new 3 prong cord for the bad boy, and set it up proper. Not a bad fix at all. I would be unsatisfied with my guitar tone without my Macintosh. That is the bottom line for me. The Mc250 has and still is plenty of power for most giging situations.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby schmidtz » Sat May 14, 2011 8:23 pm

I'm fairly excited.

I do plan on using it as a power amp, but I do have a question to go with it.
It seems like the Mac accepts RCA input, but all of the preamp mods suggest a 1/4" output. Wouldn't it be easier to just wire the output through my Vibrato pedal jack?

Then I assume I will only plug in the Reverb jack, and the Vibrato will be useless unless I open it up and remove the jumper cable.

Also, when I get it, and then get my modded Twin back, is there anyone in the Twin Cities looking to jam?
"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."
schmidtz
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat May 14, 2011 9:04 pm

That is a good question, and yes an RCA output is fine for an output on a Preamp to an amp. I think its about compatibility with other gear is the issue. But I agree straight RCA cords are easier to find. Its a fine idea..., unless you plan to use it with other equipment Then you have to buy one that is 1/4 to RCA to use it so its a null point in that case. I wouldn't remove the amp RCA unless you plan on never selling it...
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Return to Jerry Tone