Pick-up selection

Re: Pick-up selection

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:55 pm

here is an example of a song jerry uses the inbetween position, bridge & middle pickups single coil.

before the start of estimated you can see him adjust to it.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby bdhact1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:56 pm

Are we sure Jerry's isn't the face on the shroud of Turin ?
Attachments
Jerry.jpg
Jerry.jpg (12.15 KiB) Viewed 526 times
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mijknahs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:30 pm

I believe I saw him switch to the neck pickup at the beginning of th solo on Bird Song on the 1987 Ticket to New Year's video. Check it.

"The Way You Do the Things You Do" on that double CD JGB release from 1991 "sounds like' the neck pickup to me but I have no "proof".

Jim
mijknahs

Postby mijknahs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:49 pm

Waldo,

The Samson at Rockpalast Germany '81 also looks like middle+bridge (in between position) to me. See the video at about 4:17. The selector switch is down past middle but not all the way down at bridge. When it's at the bridge it the switch tip looks a lot closer to the brass (almost touching). What do you think?

mijknahs

Postby jenkins » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:53 pm

I wonder what jerry's reasoning was behind his choice for the neck single coil on tiger and wolf when it was brought back in 78' w the dimarzio's. Ive always wondered why he didn't just go with a super 2 &'split it.
Waldo do u know what single coil he had for the neck on tiger?
Any theory on why? & then why did he end up going w the 3' super 2's

Either way this is a great thread w a lot of great info, I'm gonna gona go watch some vid's & look for different pup selections
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:03 am

Right on Waldo! If you watch Jerry, he is always, constantly making volume adjustment and fiddeling with other adjustments. In the very late years, sometimes, he almost seems like he is searching for the sound he wants and is not totally satisfied. Remarkable!
peace
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby tcsned » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:36 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:Right on Waldo! If you watch Jerry, he is always, constantly making volume adjustment and fiddeling with other adjustments. In the very late years, sometimes, he almost seems like he is searching for the sound he wants and is not totally satisfied. Remarkable!
peace

or he just can't stop fidgeting for some reason or another :-)
tcsned

Postby jenkins » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Wow so Jerry def used the in between position on estimated, I always figured he used the middle split mode but clearly he used bridge and middle blend, very interesting.

Waldo I got a question- on that second video you have posted on the top off this page, the one where it's the jam for estimated at about the 4:12 mark when the camera starts to zoom in on Jerry you can see him reach down and it looks like he is toggling one of his switches up, idk what else he could be doing. You've said in the past that toggle up is to switch to humbucker mode. Do you know which switch he toggles there? Is he switching to humbucker mode right there? Inteerestingly he does it before he goes up to a run of a bunch of high notes above the 12th fret, Do you think he wanted to switch to humbbucker to thicken up hs tone a little bit when going to the higher notes? To me that's what it looks like he's doing but I'm not sure, it would make sense.
Can you tell which mini-toggle he hit there?
Very interesting thread,, and awesome videos too, it's cool to see that while Jerry did use middle position most of the iime he really was all over that guitar and used all of the settings at some point, whiich is exactly how I do it to. The beauty of that setup for a guitar is the just total rrange of sounds you can get out of it, it really has from a les paul to a strat and everything in between(and much more really). After having a guitar wired similar to Jerry's I don't see how I could ever go back to a regular setup. Maybe a strat for some things but never a LP,
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby mgbills » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Exactly Jenkins,

I started with a MIM Strat and Tigerized it. I haven't played another guitar with it's tonal possibilities.

I'd like to play an Alembic. I am impressed with the number of fun things John K. pulls out of his, but there is no way I'm dropping $12K. Maybe a year ago one came up new with a chipped head stock for $6K or something like that. Maybe.

I'd like to try a higher end Ibanez Musician.

But really ....there is no stock reasonably priced guitar available that makes as much sense...and delivers like a good Tiger-Strat. (Sorry TS...somethings cannot be avoided).

I play it 2 hours/day, and it's King right now.

One caveat - I am trying to put together a deal on JR's Wolf. That'll be better.

Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone