Buzzing in my amp

Chat about Equipment Info

Buzzing in my amp

Postby Counterstriker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:52 pm

my H&K blues master has this buzz whenever it's on, It's like a low vibration, I took the top off and plugged it in (against the warnings on the side) to see if I could see anything vibrating but I couldn't.. What could this be?
Counterstriker

Re: Buzzing in my amp

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:00 pm

To be honest brother, so many different things could be wrong Its hard to say. Sometimes it setting close to other gear or computer, the guitar buffer being too close to the amp, dirty electricity, on and on. Try it out a few places around the house, then try it at other places out side the house. You may find that EMF;s are hard to rid around town.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby squire758 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:30 pm

dont run it and just get it checked out, its not that much to at least find out whats up. In my line of work the fatal thought is always "maybe I can make it home"
squire758
Jester
Jester

Postby waldo041 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:47 am

don't know so need to ask, are there tubes in that preamp?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Counterstriker » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:18 am

Yes two, I changed them when I first got the amp a few months back.
Counterstriker

Postby waldo041 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:57 am

if you have the old ones you might want to try and see which one is going bad by swapping them individually.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mijknahs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:41 pm

I've just recently been getting a bad sound out of my Fender Twin. At first I thought is was a problem with one of my speakers going bad. I've isolated it to the Fender because it doesn't happen at all with the SMS (the poweramp and speakers remaining constant). It also happens with using the Fender as a preamp (into the McIntosh) or with the Fender power tube section. So it must be in the preamp section (I would guess).

The problem happens only with certain frequencies (the C note in particular). It needs to be fairly loud and it gets a weird kind of distortion resonance that comes and goes during the peak of the note. Also it abruptly stops as the note fades. It doesn't fade out with the note. It stops and then the note continues to fade. I noticed this during a gig not long ago and I was lucky to have the SMS as backup right there ready to go.

Can a bad preamp tube sound like this? It's not like a microphonic ring and it's not like a clipping sound either. It comes and goes during the note and only on certain notes. Anyone had a similar experience?
mijknahs

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion