Converting a 3 PU Les Paul into a Jerry Guitar

Re: Converting a 3 PU Les Paul into a Jerry Guitar

Postby Spazmodious » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:06 am

I'm leaping into the conversation a bit late, but do you think the wood types in a Les Paul would make much of a difference in achieving the overall Jerry sound? An LP with a thick maple cap get more of that high-end sparkle.

I've been toying with the idea of Jerrifying an SG custom -- which is all mahogany, so maybe that would have some effect. My plan was to put a Dual Sound in the middle, and then Super II in the N & B.
Spazmodious
welcome
welcome

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:31 am

Here's my 2 cents.
I agree that Les Paul's play great and the chunkiness of the body and neck would probably make a wonderful stand in for the big Irwin body's. However as mentioned to do it right you would need to do a lot of re wiring, that said slapping a super 2 in the middle and tapping it with maybe a push pull vol pot would definitely be an option.

If your dead set on modding a gibson I'd recommend doing it to a Epiphone SG, they are cheaply enough had and already routed for the controls in the right spot, as well as having a front mounted jack.

There where some early 70's versions of the Custom SG with three pup's that also had a plastic cover that the pot's mounted to, take a look at them and see if that might work. I've been wondering about this myself, the aesthetics of the SG alone (the a symmetric horns, double cutaway, gibson headstock, ect) make it the best candidate. just a thought.
cheers,
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:46 am

Spazmodious wrote:I'm leaping into the conversation a bit late, but do you think the wood types in a Les Paul would make much of a difference in achieving the overall Jerry sound? An LP with a thick maple cap get more of that high-end sparkle.

I've been toying with the idea of Jerrifying an SG custom -- which is all mahogany, so maybe that would have some effect. My plan was to put a Dual Sound in the middle, and then Super II in the N & B.

Stu Olsen in the current lineup of JGB has a really nicely Jerrified SG, by far the best one I've ever seen. Personally I think the SG construction doesn't really lend itself to Jerry tone quite as well as a Strat but he gets into the ballpark.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby RiverRat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:50 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Personally I think the SG construction doesn't really lend itself to Jerry tone quite as well as a Strat but he gets into the ballpark.

Go listen to Live Dead again... That's all jerry with an SG through a Twin.

If the Saint Stephen->Eleven doesn't convince you that Jerry sounds good through a SG... Nothing will!
RiverRat

Postby tcsned » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:26 am

RiverRat wrote:
Rusty the Scoob wrote:Personally I think the SG construction doesn't really lend itself to Jerry tone quite as well as a Strat but he gets into the ballpark.

Go listen to Live Dead again... That's all jerry with an SG through a Twin.

If the Saint Stephen->Eleven doesn't convince you that Jerry sounds good through a SG... Nothing will!

It all depends on which Jerry sound you're after. You could make an argument for almost any guitar. If you're looking for an Irwin guitar sound, gutting and wiring a LP works reasonably well - it will never be exact as the neck scale, neck wood (except my maple neck '78), fretboard wood (if it's not ebony), and body wood, will all color the tone a little differently. It depends on how exacting you wanna be. I'd say that would work well enough for me. I like LPs, though I have to say when I got mine it had DiMarzio SDs in it and I hated them and could never get a tone I really liked especially with bridge PU - liked the neck PU well enough. It was way too bright for my liking. The Gibson Classic 57s I put in work great for my purposes. I would be a little hesitant to cut into a LP especially if it's and older one but Jimmy Page routed out a 58 Tele for a B-Bender, those take some major cutting too. If you're not concerned about resale value, or aren't doing anything involving cutting it up (save all the old parts), then I say go ahead.
tcsned

Postby Spazmodious » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:59 pm

One of my favourite Jerry sounds is Wolf from July '78 to July '79, after the Dual Sounds were installed. It's not a popular era, and maybe not an all-around musical peak -- there's not a single Dick's Pick's release that falls within that 12-month period.

I have a Japanese LP copy that I've rigged up with Super IIs and two three-way DPDT on-on-on switches for parallel, series, and single-coil mode, and it's in the ballpark, more or less. Well, it's parking the car in the lot of the ballpark. But it's missing that essential centre-coil sound.

My thinking was to operate on an Epiphone SG Custom rather than an actual Gibson. G-400s are cheap and plentiful, and they already have three HBs. But there's the problem of scale length and different wood ....

I wonder if anyone has ever tried making a Strat with interchangable pickguards set up for pickup configurations from different years? You could even use a molex connector to quickly swap out your, say, Rosebud setup for your '74 Wolf, and then drop in your '77 Bean configuration when you felt like it. With a swimming pool route it might even be possible. Or is that crazy?
Spazmodious
welcome
welcome

Postby 1960strat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:14 pm

For me the key here is that it is a Les Paul. I find them effortless to play in comparison to strats. And when i put forth the effort, i play a Tele. Different strokes for diff folks. The key is how to get close with the tone on the buttery LP neck.
He's so high he will probably sell it to us for free.
1960strat
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby jenkins » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Def the les Paul is key here, for me they just play so much easier than a strat.
Why does it have to b a 3 pup LP? Why not add a third o to a classic two pup model.
Mine is the smaller double cutaway so I didn't really have room to add a third himbicker but honestly I
Don't need it. 99% of the time it's set so all 3 r on single coil & it nails the Jerry tone.
That's why it's not really a big deal to change the pup selector to a rotary bc there's not veryany times where u need to change your pup during songs, Jerry rarely changed his. Every pic I've seen he has his in middle selection.
Having that middle single coil is absolutely critical for getting the Jerry tone
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:41 pm

jenkins wrote:Def the les Paul is key here, for me they just play so much easier than a strat.
Why does it have to b a 3 pup LP? Why not add a third o to a classic two pup model.
Mine is the smaller double cutaway so I didn't really have room to add a third himbicker but honestly I
Don't need it. 99% of the time it's set so all 3 r on single coil & it nails the Jerry tone.
That's why it's not really a big deal to change the pup selector to a rotary bc there's not veryany times where u need to change your pup during songs, Jerry rarely changed his. Every pic I've seen he has his in middle selection.
Having that middle single coil is absolutely critical for getting the Jerry tone

yes the middle position/single coil is a pretty important for getting that jerry tune, but jerry did use the other positions. check this thread out.

viewtopic.php?f=419&t=9789&hilit=bridge

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jenkins » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:43 am

Killer thread Waldo, totally crucial info. It's very interesting to see what selection he's using where.
When jerry's guitar is set on middle setting of the 5 way are all of his pups on or is it just his middle pup?
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby mijknahs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:32 pm

jenkins wrote:Killer thread Waldo, totally crucial info. It's very interesting to see what selection he's using where.
When jerry's guitar is set on middle setting of the 5 way are all of his pups on or is it just his middle pup?

Jerry's 5-way pickup selector was just the normal/traditional Strat setup. He couldn't get all the pickups on at the same time (or the neck and bridge on at the same time).
mijknahs

Postby jenkins » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Aren't all 3 pups on when a strats pup selector is in the middle position?
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby mijknahs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:00 pm

jenkins wrote:Aren't all 3 pups on when a strats pup selector is in the middle position?

No. Just the middle pickup. It goes; Neck only, Neck+Middle, Middle only, Middle+Bridge, Bridge only.
mijknahs

Postby jenkins » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Cool, I guess I just assumed all 3 were on.
Does Jerry ever use middle pup on humbucker mode?
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby mijknahs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:08 pm

jenkins wrote:Cool, I guess I just assumed all 3 were on.
Does Jerry ever use middle pup on humbucker mode?

Not sure how much he used the middle in humbucker mode. Maybe in the late 70's and early 80's but the majority of what you're hearing is the middle pickup in single coil (split coil) mode.
mijknahs

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone