General Jerry OD?

Re: General Jerry OD?

Postby waldo041 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 am

bdhact1 wrote:Most clean boosts use fets. The mutron uses half of a 4558 opamp with a voltage bias of +9v and -9v, A somewhat unconventional setup.

with gobs of clean headroom!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mijknahs » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:27 am

bdhact1 wrote:Most clean boosts use fets. The mutron uses half of a 4558 opamp with a voltage bias of +9v and -9v, A somewhat unconventional setup.

But is the end result really that different? Garcia may have used it because it was right there and convenient. Kind of like having a "bonus" pedal when you switch off the envelope. Not necessarily because of the special design or tone it got. I'm pretty sure Waldo can make you one just like the MuTron (with effect off) if that's what you need.
mijknahs

Postby bdhact1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Lots of head room is a wonderful thing to behold!
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hogan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:22 pm

-9v to +9v I believe is essentially 18v in a non conventional way. There's your gobs of headroom.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby bdhact1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:33 pm

More like gobs of voltage goodness. ( I'm talking like i'm on the Food Network)
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mijknahs » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:19 pm

bdhact1 wrote:Lots of head room is a wonderful thing to behold!

Not sure "headroom" is what you're trying to achieve with the Mutron boost (envelope off). Seems more like the boost effect is to achieve some type of overdrive effect from pushing either the Twin, the McIntosh, or the JBLs (or some combination of each). Or maybe to "heat up" the signal before it hits the distortion pedal? Basically more volume to push things into a "crunchier" zone.

I agree that it's a clean but louder tone. It itself doesn't clip (it's clean) and it preserves the original guitar "tone" but the effect is that it pushes something else into some type of clipping/overdrive. Again, not really that different from other boost pedals for practical purposes.
mijknahs

Postby bdhact1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:16 am

I'm presently breadboarding a prototype. First with a JRC4558DD and then with a JRC4558D, which has slightly smoother dirt to it. So far it works extremely well as a clean boost with just a touch of dirt after the OD pedals. It drives OD pedals just slightly harder when it's first in the chain. So far I like the results of it being last and before the delays.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone