Just had a startling moment: scale length

Just had a startling moment: scale length

Postby sants » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:59 am

I have been looking into have a wolf type guitar built and always thought it was a 25.5 scale. Just reading some stuff on Dozin and Irwin and it said 25. Don't know how I missed that before. Anyone else do this?

Sorry if this has been a big topic before
sants
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Re: Just had a startling moment: scale length

Postby vwjodyme » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:34 pm

waldo's page says 25.5" so i'm sticking with that :lol:
vwjodyme

Postby Pete B. » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:12 pm

I don't know what it really is but I can see where the confusion might come from.
In this article, in the parts speaking of the Wolf guitar, I see in one place starting with, Doug Irwin on Wolf, it says... " The string scale is 25".
In another place furthur down in the "Steve Parish notes" section, it says "In '72 he received the his first custom Doug Irwin the "Wolf". Description: 25.5 in maple neck, ..."
http://obie1.homesite.net/deadcd/garcia_guitars.htm

I seem to recall an article or interview where Garcis says he wished he had a guitar with a scale length between a Strat and a Les Paul.
Pete B.

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Pete B. wrote:
I seem to recall an article or interview where Garcia says he wished he had a guitar with a scale length between a Strat and a Les Paul.

Interesting! I've heard that PRS's are between those two, and Wikipedia confirms it.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby waldo041 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:51 pm

andrew olson who actually took measurements of wolf stated it is a 25.5".

Pete B. wrote:I seem to recall an article or interview where Garcis says he wished he had a guitar with a scale length between a Strat and a Les Paul.

i recall him talking about his custom, i believe tiger, as being setup like a les paul(neck angle, bridge and tail piece, headstock angle) but with the electronics similiar to a strat.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Pete B. » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:55 pm

I recently measured an original blonde Ibanez Musician that was 25". I really liked the feel of that axe. It was $950 with a "hold" on it for another buyer, who must have bought it because they never called me back.
Pete B.

Postby vwjodyme » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:51 am

Carvin's are 25". unless they are 7 strings like pete's
vwjodyme

Postby Pete B. » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:25 am

vwjodyme wrote:Carvin's are 25". unless they are 7 strings like pete's

Yeah, I had a DC127 and liked the feel of it.
I traded that guitar for the DC727 I have now, which is like a 7-string DC400W, 25.5" scale.
I also have a Shecter Omen 7-Ex that is 26.5" ("Ex" = Extended Scale). Super stable but string bends are a little work. I like playing above the 12th fret because there is plenty of room up there.
You can also loosen up the feel of 25.5-26.5 scale guitars by tuning down a half step.
Intonation is a function of Scale length and String Guage, so there is no Intonation issue with tuning down a half step.
I watched the Allman Bros live vids on Comcast On Demand last night and can see why they play Gibsons... Lots of step-and-a-half bends.
On the other hand I have a Dickie Betts vid where he and Dan Toller play mostly Strats.
Pete B.

Postby tcsned » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 am

I've got an LP, a PRS, a Strat and a handful of other 25.5 guitars - the LP is certainly a lot smoother in the high end that the Strat style - the Strats are punchier in the low end. The PRS sounds more like a Strat than the LP. My new one is a 25." Playing wise, I don't notice much different feel unless I play the Dell'Arte which is 26.5.

When Dangerous Dan Toler was in the Allmans he played mostly LPs - Dickey's been using a PRS a lot lately too.
tcsned

Postby jeager » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Scale length has a whole bunch to do with tone. You can put humbuckers in a fender 25.5 and it will not sound anything like a gibson and vice versa. I think the scale really effects the overtones that are produced as much as any other design aspect. I always like the PRS in between scale (25") for both tone and feel... though I have yet to plop down cash for one. My kid has one of the SE models and it is quite a fun guitar.

I think I read the same interview and figured he just left the .5 out because everywhere else it seems to be talked about as a 25.5 scale length which is why the middle pickup on a strat can sound very close to Jerry with the right amp and speaker. Recently got my sms, mc250 rig up and running and even with out he JBL it is darn close with my strat.
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hawk900 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:37 pm

http://www.dimensionsinfo.com/guitar-scale-length/

Also after modding my Epiphone SG 4th1. Who have better quality necks than than Gibson's(probably the only better quality) have a 25.28(642mm) ever since they had the cheaper body neck@body cracking problem.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:50 am

jeager wrote:Scale length has a whole bunch to do with tone. You can put humbuckers in a fender 25.5 and it will not sound anything like a gibson and vice versa. I think the scale really effects the overtones that are produced as much as any other design aspect.

It could be the woods used, designs of the necks, hardware, that add to that too, (and I think you know that). When I added 3 humbuckers to my Les Paul I could cop some strat tones with the bridge/middle and neck/middle positions, but for sure not "exactly" like a strat. A good comprimise though! I don't know about using a Strat to sound like a Les Paul though....

When I switched to a heavy sandwich custom (much like a vintage musician/Vantage) neck through guitar the tone got darker once again with the same set up/electronics, but both 25.5 scale. I would have never thought the woods and contruction would change the tone as much as it did.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Return to Jerry Tone