wiring

Re: wiring

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:41 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote:In conclusion, I still love you Hippyguy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Turning in his grave is just an expression (poorly used here by me...i know about the ashes) I still love you too, JohnnyBoy.
Thanks Tennessee Jedi and thanks River Rat, I love you guys too. Strumminsix, go soak your head!
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Grateful Dad » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:49 am

"Turning in his grave is just an expression (poorly used here by me...i know about the ashes) I still love you too, JohnnyBoy.
Thanks Tennessee Jedi and thanks River Rat, I love you guys too. Strumminsix, go soak your head!"

wow, that's deep, what a command of the English language, I don't think strumminsix could ever recover from that.....
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:02 am

RiverRat wrote:I guess I trashed this thread by proxy!

LOL! Good one RR! :lol:
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby bdhact1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:16 am

I'm still curious......

I also keep asking my wife why she chose the Iphone over the Android which is a better product.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:47 am

bdhact1 wrote:I'm still curious......

I also keep asking my wife why she chose the Iphone over the Android which is a better product.

Because if you search anywhere for "jerry garcia pre amp", the greater amount of results refering to the history and who uses them now, points to cae sound and CB-1. With that said, in the results, there are also at least 3 or 4 others (including waldo), claiming to be clones of the original with small improvements. So, this will be the first pre amp/buffer I am personally using in my guitar. I have always played jerry moded guitars with out a need for one. Now I need one and have the CB-1. Down the road, I'll try waldo's and others too. Maybe I'll get them all and make a vid changing them out one by one with an allagator clip set up and we can all hear one at a time...same guitar settings, same notes, etc. I wonder if anyone has done this? peace
hippieguy1954

Postby bdhact1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:01 am

A Youtube video caparison would be a fair way to let the educated consumer decide; Not to mention the great exposure for both products.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby playingdead » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:04 am

The differences are subtle but apparent. My Tiger guitar originally had a CB-1 in it, and I swapped out for one of Waldo's TPC buffers that he was kind enough to send me and did a few slightly hamfisted comparison recordings before and after the fact on the spot in my studio with zero changes to rig or guitar settings. You can hear the difference, although that particular TPC had a slightly lower output than the CB-1 did (apparently, Garcia's buffer was slightly below unity as well). I believe he offers a version with a true unity output now.

Waldo put the before and after clips with an mp3 player on his site at http://wald-electronics.com/wald-electr ... clone.html

The CB-2 and Jangletone are completely different sounding. The CB-2 reverses the phase for some reason, and the Jangletone is brighter.
playingdead

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:22 pm

playingdead wrote:The differences are subtle but apparent. My Tiger guitar originally had a CB-1 in it, and I swapped out for one of Waldo's TPC buffers that he was kind enough to send me and did a few slightly hamfisted comparison recordings before and after the fact on the spot in my studio with zero changes to rig or guitar settings. You can hear the difference, although that particular TPC had a slightly lower output than the CB-1 did (apparently, Garcia's buffer was slightly below unity as well). I believe he offers a version with a true unity output now.

Waldo put the before and after clips with an mp3 player on his site at http://wald-electronics.com/wald-electr ... clone.html

The CB-2 and Jangletone are completely different sounding. The CB-2 reverses the phase for some reason, and the Jangletone is brighter.

Very interesting! The plot thickens! Yes, there are very slight differences and at this point I think it will come down to personal preference as to weather one uses CB-1, CB-2, Jangletone, TPC1 or one of the ones from Prosim Electronics even.
hippieguy1954

Postby waldo041 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:44 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:The plot thickens! Yes, there are very slight differences

:lol: :shock: :?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:12 pm

waldo041 wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:The plot thickens! Yes, there are very slight differences

:lol: :shock: :?

peace,
waldo

Waldo, your site is the best most comprehensive, imformative, detailed GD site I've seen. I comend you for your efforts and attention to detail. Thank you! peace
hippieguy1954

Postby Gr8fulGreg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:04 am

My Wald B and your CB sittin' round the bayou
MY Wald B said to your CB
I'ma Set your tone on FIRE

I myself ordered walds buffer and his customer service is the best!!! cant speak for CB

But really tho to each his own...
And like JG prob would have said "Who gives a fuck"
...More then my maker but he's no friend of mine
Gr8fulGreg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:15 am

Gr8fulGreg wrote:My Wald B and your CB sittin' round the bayou
MY Wald B said to your CB
I'ma Set your tone on FIRE

I myself ordered walds buffer and his customer service is the best!!! cant speak for CB

But really tho to each his own...
And like JG prob would have said "Who gives a fuck"

Hey Gr8fulGreg, like your parody man! A man after my own heart. Peace
hippieguy1954

Postby bdhact1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:55 am

Gotta love happy endings. ;-)
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:27 am

I gotta thank all you guys for puttin up with me. Now that I've been getting envolved with my own wiring, it's all actually very simple (but tegious at times makin it nice and neet lol). With all the available diagrams and info thanks to Waldo (mostly) and others, it's hard to screw it up!
hippieguy1954

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone