That (Jerry) wah-ish sound in early 70s Playin instrumentals

Re: That (Jerry) wah-ish sound in early 70s Playin instrumen

Postby playingdead » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:47 pm

The Fulltone Clyde I tried out for a while a few years back definitely did not like the buffer in my Tiger guitar ... YMMV.
playingdead

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:01 pm

playingdead wrote:The Fulltone Clyde I tried out for a while a few years back definitely did not like the buffer in my Tiger guitar ... YMMV.

sigh, that is disappointing. I am pretty sure the deluxe is the same thing but with a choice of voicing, and at least one of the voices is the clyde anyway. I wonder if putting it into or out of other pedals in the chain can/will help it. I am using a Waldo buffer, so it is probably going to be the same issue. I think some mentioned the Buddah wah from Peavey or their pro/boutique line...

FWIW the deluxe has a 10 step variable input control, which I guess is a pot on the inside, maybe that is where some magic can happen with tweaking to get the input sensitive enough? Dunno what that is really supposed to do anyway...
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:42 pm

I was riding through the gear page and found out that the Cry Baby Classics are true bypass and are reusing the faisel's from the 60's. That being a good start, does anyone have any leads on some good mods for these inexpensive and readily available pedals? It would seem to me that the tone is almost all the way there to the vintage stuff, it would need some minor adjustments to accentuate the proper frequencies in the tone as compared to a Colorsound or McCoy/Organ. I can see how Vic was finding the Classic Crybaby usable. I had one in the 80's and remembering it worked well for me.

waldo041 wrote:first, jerry's wah did not have an input buffer. they are standard in the vox and crybaby wahs of today.
waldo

I found this in the Dunlop blog that helps point out which models actually do have True Bypass. There seems to be a few....

http://www.jimdunlop.com/blog/?p=384
JonnyBoy

Postby jenkins » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:18 am

I'd say how u use a Wah makes a way bigger difference than what brand Wah . For years i thought my crybaby sucked really bad but it turned out i just was not using it right. Now that I know how to use it properly it sounds awesome. People are often shocked that it's just a crybaby.
I put the rubber handle of a pair of wire strippers under the heel position so I can't go all the way back w it and it sounds fkn great.
The key to gettin that Jerry Wah is not moving the pedal a lot or very fast. The other trick is in the picking. If u can't pick it right it don't matter what Wah u got it's not gonna sound like Jerry, or even very good
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:06 pm

Agreed, all gear has that ability preface. I am sure there will be some good practice time I will have to put in to get what I want, but some wha's just don't sound good or accentuate the wrong aspect of the tone for my taste. My main issue is not having a buffer in the effect and keeping my line true bypass beyond my guitar output, plus a classic circuit for tone. I owned one many years ago before moving to the envelope filter. I never had issue with it sounding bad, but then again many of my romantic thoughts are not always based in reality. I am glad to hear another that likes it, shit it will be one of the cheapest pedals Ive bought in a while.
JonnyBoy

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:32 pm

The 535Q crybaby is awesome... As good as the clyde and all the others IMO. Glad I didn't wast my money. True bypass, It has a Q range pot, boost pot and a notched pot for voices. The Buffer plays well, actually better than my strat without a buffer. The tonal choices with the Jerry guitar helps the sweep. All can be done with it... To make it actually "TRUE BYPASS" you have to clip the "pop" resistor on the output, but I would rather not have the thunder pop.
JonnyBoy

Postby jaybird1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:38 am

I think Jerry also used a Mutron C200 Vol-Wah pedal in the 70's. I dont know exactly what years but there are pictures around. I got one it sounds perfect I use the Musitornics Micro V as well.
I love the Mu-tron products!
jaybird1
bruce
bruce

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:02 am

Check out 03/26/73's Candyman solo - wah and phaser
SWEET
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby zoooombiex » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:34 am

JonnyBoy wrote:I am looking into the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe where it has 3 voices, one of which is a voicing like a colorsound wha of the 1960's. Anyone have any luck with these wha's? I have heard they are pretty nice all the way around. They also do not have a buffer stage from what I understand and are true bypass. I may be wrong about a buffer stage while engaged, but they are true bypass. Anyone using one with a buffer?

i had one - it's a very nice wah and very flexible. the three modes are essentially standard (hendrixy), bright (shaft), and thick. i really liked the thick tone setting as i don't like overly bright or thin wahs. it is true bypass. i don't think it specifically has a "buffer" built in when engaged, but i believe it inherently drives the signal downstream, which is effectively a buffer from your pickup's point of view (though you'd have to check the output impedance). someone please correct me if wrong.

anyway, if you're looking at the clyde deluxe, some other good ones that are sort of similar are the mayer vision wah (expensive, but not as bad used, and it's even more flexible and probably my favorite wah for guitar), the teese rmc3 (especially the new one with the external controls), and the teese rmc8 (eq and other options for tweaking the wah), teese RMC2. the mayer DOES have a buffer. the teese are all true bypass.

i prefer the teese and mayer to the fulltone, but they're all fine wahs.
zoooombiex
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Pete B. » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:03 am

Check out what Jerry plays starting at ~10min:15sec of this Playin' jam.
A wha-wha version of the Slipknot lick in Dmin:
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1974-0 ... 26763.shnf
Pete B.

Postby caspersvapors » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:05 am

Pete B. wrote:Check out what Jerry plays starting at ~10min:15sec of this Playin' jam.
A wha-wha version of the Slipknot lick in Dmin:
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1974-0 ... 26763.shnf

good ear!

sometimes you can find tidbits of what later became songs in early performances. I know Ive heard Bob do a Weather report suite type thing circa 71/72
caspersvapors

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone