MC250 specific discussion:

Re: MC250 specific discussion:

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:27 am

It was louder, or the vol knobs were more sensitive it seemed, but I still prefer the 50watt way, its is plenty loud for most of my recent winter time venues, and it is the easier clipping situation. But the tone was still great. To tell you the truth, playing with it in the band it made little if no difference since my volume is such that a 120+watt amp at clipping is just too damn loud, especially out of a preamped Jerry modded twin. :smile:

When the warm weather comes and outdoor stuff happens I will revisit the Bridged Mono test...
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby mijknahs » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:56 pm

JonnyBoy or Pete (or anyone with an MC250),

Do you notice any change in tone with using the MC250 in bridged mono mode?

I'm used to 100W+ amps and I found the MC50 a little bit underpowered at times. I was on the edge of breakup many times and I want more headroom.

The MC100 that I'm trying to find are too rare and are kinda pricey. I know where I could score a pair for $1000 but that's too much for me to throw down.

I'm thinking about the MC250 in bridged mono mode as a substitute for an MC100 (its about the same weight) but was wondering if it would sound the same. Somewhere I've read that they don's sound as good in bridged mode but that might have only applied to audiophile stereo systems.

So, if you have any opinions on how it sounds in bridged mode as compared to stereo, please advise (besides just a little bit louder).

Thanks,
Jim
mijknahs

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:35 pm

I didn't notice it sounding worse... Give it a try. I will try again and pay attention to the subtle changes.

I think for your band a 2100 is what you may need to have that headroom. I know the weight is shitty, but you guys are spread out on big stages it seems. Have you tried using some more speakers, ie: 2 -2x12 cabs? Maybe try using your fender twin cab and your 2x12.... but that doesn't cut down on the weight issue. I have a new dolly to wheel shit around. Got it a guitar center, the rock dolly or something, rolls over gravel and folds up small $89. I could use a MC2300 now if I want! (except for loading it into the truck).
JonnyBoy

Postby mijknahs » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks JonnyBoy,

The only issue is weight and I love the fact that an MC100 is only 32 lbs. I have an MC2120 in a rack with my SMS. The 2120 is 65 lbs. I wish it was 30 lbs. lighter with the same power. That's why the MC100 is so attractive. I only need a mono amp. Maybe the easier to find MC250 (bridged) would be just as good as an MC100?

Thanks,
Jim
mijknahs

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:24 am

We will find out in 4 hours!! I may go over early since I have my new and improved Jerry effects rack for my SMS that needs tending to, wires and such. I will have my old one unused and for sale, but that's a different issue for a different thread.
JonnyBoy

Postby tdub » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:50 am

Just to be safe, I rack-mounted my MC250 in a 6 space rack with wheels. The other rack rests on top, holding the SMS Pre/Power Conditioner/Tuner. Playing the MC250 in stereo, one output pushing a nice K120 in a Soundscaper Cab. Super happy with it. The MC250 is 35lbs, add the rack weight, it's still a bit of a bulky load, but with wheels, it's all fine.
tdub
tiger
tiger

Postby mijknahs » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:05 pm

So, you are only using half of the MC250 into 1x12" 8 ohm speaker. It would be interesting to see if you notice a difference in tone (if at all fatter or thicker tone) if you ran it in mono bridged mode.

I've noticed this bridging my MC2120. Also big different in sound using a 2x12" cab vs. just a 1x12" cab. The 2x12" cab sounds beefier and just better.

Jim

tdub wrote:Just to be safe, I rack-mounted my MC250 in a 6 space rack with wheels. The other rack rests on top, holding the SMS Pre/Power Conditioner/Tuner. Playing the MC250 in stereo, one output pushing a nice K120 in a Soundscaper Cab. Super happy with it. The MC250 is 35lbs, add the rack weight, it's still a bit of a bulky load, but with wheels, it's all fine.
mijknahs

Postby lunasparks » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Sorry to switch gears on you guys...but I'll do it anyway!

I should be getting an MC250 within a week or so. Question I have for the initiated: how do I hook this thing up?

Can it take 1/4" input from my SMS?

My speaker cabs are all 1/4" as well. What's the preferred way of making this connection?

Help much appreciated -- I'd love to get everything I need in advance so I can plug and play! :-D

Happy weekend to all,

Vince
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:34 am

the easiest way to do this is make a speaker wire out of conventional speaker wire, with one end 1/4" and one end screw down c terminals. make sure the positive is tip and the negative is ring. otherwise you will have to make something but with a 1/4" jack, a 1/4 female jack connected to a wire with c terminals so you can plug in a conventional guitar cable. Hook the c ends to the screw down terminal (2,4,8 etc ohms is positive) and com is neg. They may make a 1/4" mono to c terminal adapter at radio shack, dunno. But be sure TO GET 1/4" MONO adapter not 1/4" Stereo. The first way is how I have it.

Plugging into the amp you will need an RCA to 1/4" adapter. switch the rocker switch to STEREO and plug into one or both of the inputs. you have to have speakers hooked up to both sides if you want to use both sides in STEREO. MONO is a matter of bridging the left and right posts and going off the MONO side only.

At Radio Shack
bag of 20 c terminals = 1.99
spool of speaker wire heavy gauge = $8-9
bag of 1/4" mono plugs shielded= $3.99
RCA to 1/4" MONO adapter = $10

you will need these things to hook up. :smile:
JonnyBoy

Postby lunasparks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:39 pm

JB - I took the lazy man's way out and ordered some fork spade connectors and 1/4" to banana plug cable (thanks to Brad for that tip!). It's all hooked up now and...

...WOW! Paired with my SMS this thing just sounds terrific. In my rack, I'm using a Rocktron Velocity 300 (older version), which I'd thought sounded pretty good -- although I'd started to think it lacked a special something. It's only been a couple of hours of noodling around in the office, but the MC250 is definitely a "special something."

I don't quite know how to describe it, but it's so transparent -- so Jerry, I guess! I bought it out of pure curiosity wondering how big the difference could really be. I think it's safe to say that it's pretty noticeable. Like a lightbulb, I feel like now I "get it" and understand why you guys all dig the Macs -- and, of course, why Jerry felt the same. Why didn't I buy one earlier, I don't know. :?

Anyway, one step closer to a bigger smile!
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby mijknahs » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:40 pm

lunasparks wrote:
...WOW! Paired with my SMS this thing just sounds terrific. In my rack, I'm using a Rocktron Velocity 300 (older version), which I'd thought sounded pretty good -- although I'd started to think it lacked a special something. It's only been a couple of hours of noodling around in the office, but the MC250 is definitely a "special something."

I don't quite know how to describe it, but it's so transparent -- so Jerry, I guess! I bought it out of pure curiosity wondering how big the difference could really be. I think it's safe to say that it's pretty noticeable. Like a lightbulb, I feel like now I "get it" and understand why you guys all dig the Macs -- and, of course, why Jerry felt the same. Why didn't I buy one earlier, I don't know. :?

Anyway, one step closer to a bigger smile!

This is classic.
mijknahs

Postby tapestry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:29 pm

+1
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:05 pm

I stumbled upon my mac the same way,I thought there had to be a reason musicians and Jerry used these amps. I had to see why, plus I was getting kinda purist about it all too. I prefer a solid state anyway so it wasn't much of a hurdle to change, but from a mosvalve to this was the same. So harmonic, so perfect, a bit cumbersome, but total nirvana tone wise. It nails Jerrys tone too, easily. It also loves some overdrive, and being pushed too. It is just made to be a guitar amp it seems. Why no other guitar amp builder has copied the SS circuit on this and put it into a combo is beyond me. Its not like its that impossible to copy. There is something special about them for sure, and that is no bullshit. Only one vol knob and a terminal for Ohm selection per channel. That's it. nothing else to do to it to make it shine. Turn it on and turn it up.
JonnyBoy

Postby lunasparks » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Finally got around to posting a clip with the SMS and MC250. Hopefully link below will work:

lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:15 pm

Pretty cool Luna, that tone sounds great even through a camera mic. That strat has a nice sound.
JonnyBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone