Sarno Music Solutions!

Re: Sarno Music Solutions!

Postby hogan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:52 am

I don't see a Vibrato circuit on that thing, it must not be any good. Ask Waldo.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby waldo041 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:18 am

hogan wrote:I don't see a Vibrato circuit on that thing, it must not be any good. Ask Waldo.

no it does not, brad opted to keep everything in a 1 space rack unit, HOWEVER, he did use the 3rd gain stage the vibrato uses in the ab763, and that matches what Jerry's later Healy preamp tap had. and with a proper load to simulate the intensity pot load, it can be just like the early Alembic tap. no vibrato circuit needed if planned accordingly, obviously you just mouth off hogan without doing your homework!

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby hogan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:08 am

No.
I know what Sarno did w/ his pre. However, just yesterday you cast doubt on Louie/Hardtrucker's offering because it didn't appear to include a vibrato circuit.
http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=10091&p=95133#p95089

I would be inclined to think that the guy who prototyped the amp knew to include the extra gain stage regardless of an actual vibrato/trem circuit. That's fender blackface/silverface circuitry 101. Everybody knows the vibrato channel on a vintage fender amp sounds "better" even if they don't know why. I'm fairly certain the amp builder didn't need you to suggest the idea. It seemed more like you trying to make a fool out of Glen/hardtrucker. Same old Waldo, same old agenda.
I would also add that from what I've heard of the SMS classic, it is a very nice piece of gear and was only referenced here to demonstrate a double standard.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby Jon S. » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:20 am

On a Grateful Dead Music Forum, of all places, can't we just get along?

I went back and reviewed Waldo's actual question and Glen's actual response. Here they are:

Waldo: "i believe the preamp taps used in 74 were alembic, and those taps had the vibrato in-circuit. i noticed you don't have either vibrato pot in your prototype. having the vibrato circuit, more importantly that intensity pot in circuit, alters the output/tone from the tap that he later used as i am sure you know. so what gives there?"

Glen: "The amp prototype is less than two weeks old. The vibrato channel/circuit have not been assembled yet. Lou of Louis Electric Amps has just started to get the thing up and running in pieces. The project is the culmination of some pretty serious research with more details to come in the near future. The project is definitely in its infancy and months from being unveiled. No pricing or specs are available yet as the project is still quite fluid."

A 100% fair question and an equally 100% responsive answer. There's no controversy here. Let's get back to the gear.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Stone » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:08 am

I cant wait till some more clips of the Earth Drive get posted. Seems like a great pedal to maybe fatten up the single coils on my strats.
Stone
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Stone wrote:I cant wait till some more clips of the Earth Drive get posted. Seems like a great pedal to maybe fatten up the single coils on my strats.

YES! I think Brad mentioned that the circuit was MXR Dist+ based (is that true?) and if so, I would love to hear the "grit" it can achieve. Also would like to hear the changes in comparison to the MXR. Not talking Trickster or Enuff 'z' Nuff distortion, just good swamp tone if it has it. I thought his demo was great, but some Jerry licks are where I can tell if the myriad of OD's and distortion pedals I own can do the same or not. With the trust and faith I have in Brad I am sure it does what he says it can do, I am in a little deep gear wise right now though.

I guess we need to get a Jerry player here to demo a few licks pedal on and off. I know there has to be a bunch of guys here that have them already!

Also before the tiff started, I was wondering how people are running Reverb and Delay, in between the preamp like a loop or before it? Wouldn't that act just like a combo amps effects loop? I thought I have read different.....
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Quebee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:16 pm

Strummin , Brad (or anyone using SMS as Weir rig), did/should you opt for Jerry mods ?
Quebee
tiger
tiger

Postby Jon S. » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:28 pm

I did but it was more on principal than me really knowing how the tone would be different. :D (Should add, in my band, we don't have a strict "Jerry/Bobby" division between the other guitarist and me, we just split it up as seems best song-by-song).
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby strumminsix » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Quebee wrote:Strummin , Brad (or anyone using SMS as Weir rig), did/should you opt for Jerry mods ?

He did some but not the JG ones.still waiting on mine.
strumminsix

Postby Quebee » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:22 am

Cool, thanks guys. I'm guessing Brad would advise as to which mods are applicable as well.
Jon, do you like what you get in terms of Weir tones?
Strummin, very anxious to see what you think!
Quebee
tiger
tiger

Postby Dozin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:50 am

I'd like to try his Revelation preamp out for Rhythm.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby Stone » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:52 pm

A power amp to match the SMS pre-amp would most certainly put me over the edge!
Stone
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:40 pm

Yes a 50 or 80 watt amp would be nice, maybe something along the lines of the old McIntosh. With those amps so available to look at, it would be neat to clone one, maybe even use McIntosh transformers/autoformers. the rest of the stuff is readily available on the market I suppose. A rack mount mac 250, That would be awesome.

Does the SMS run "hot" meaning it needs a space below and above open to breathe? or can it have something directly under it and only have one open space above it in a rack? I notice Jon S. has two cases for ventilation I assume?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby strumminsix » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:46 am

Stone wrote:A power amp to match the SMS pre-amp would most certainly put me over the edge!

I thought so too then realized I'd likely be the only one on this forum who'd want EL84s :lol:
strumminsix

Postby jdsmodulus » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:41 am

my SMS gets a little hot, not more than you would think. The vents are on the top so my tuner sits directly above it but it is shallow enough to provide venting. I did add a 1 space rack vent below the SMS and above the PA just to be careful. Being that the SMS is a tube preamp I leave it on for long periods if I plan on playing it. I just mute the rack and let it sit until Im ready to go back to guitar. For me when Im alone this can go on all day for days!!!
jdsmodulus

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone