OMG Free thought Alert! JK plays a closed back cab

Re: OMG Free thought Alert! JK plays a closed back cab

Postby Laytonco » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Just a thought...did he play it with the cardboard in the back or is this some sort of shipping protection? Plus, if you're going to close a back to play with, would you really use a piece of cardboard? I am guessing he is making good coin and would be able to afford a better solution. At least I hope so. And for all you anticipating seeing them for the first time in 2011, I caught two shows in Broomfield in Feb and was very impressed overall, but more impressed with their improvement, tightness, energy, etc since I saw them in Sept 2010 at Red Rocks. Very cool to see these guys on such an upward swing.

Peace,

Gil
Laytonco

Postby hogan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:52 pm

It was there during the gig.
This thread was started as a goof on some of the dogmas perpetuated here and the folks that do the perpetuating. For the record, I don't think his tone sucks and who cares if I did.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby strumminsix » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:52 pm

What theatre is this from? Maybe a small stage and used as a way to lower the stage volume without sounding closed back?

I was in the studio years back and the tech tilted 3'x3' piece of plywood on the back of amp so the mic wouldn't pick up extra from the amp...
strumminsix

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Cmnaround wrote: It's a combination of not only Jk but Jeff and drummer dude who totally provide the framework for Phil to conduct some bad ass jams

:lol: Exactly! When will we all know his name? He plays his heart out that's for sure!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Stone » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Cardboard could be a device to reduce the bleed into the singers (There names escape me at the moment) mics.
Stone
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:20 pm

Stone wrote:Cardboard could be a device to reduce the bleed into the singers (There names escape me at the moment) mics.

Doo- whop girls?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:28 pm

I was thinking more of since 1999...That is a funny pic of the cardboard!!! :lol:
jdsmodulus

Postby waldo041 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Stone wrote:Cardboard could be a device to reduce the bleed into the singers (There names escape me at the moment) mics.

no dogma implied or perpetuated, simply the truth, that cardboard is there to deflect the sound directed towards sunshine and jeff!

peace,
waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:58 pm

Hmmm...., I wouldn't consider a piece of cardboard stuck back there as a "solid" back cabinet.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby zoooombiex » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:26 am

I'm going to have to lean towards cardboard doesn't make a closed back cabinet. a proper "closed back" would be sealed and have damping material to absorb the interior reflections. a piece of cardboard leaned or taped against the back isn't going to do either. if the back isn't actually sealed it wouldn't affect the speaker performance/mechanics the way a true closed back would.

that said, I'm surprised they're using cardboard as I would expect it to rattle around and introduce some extraneous noise (you can already see where it's creased and folded). I'd think a clearsonic panel would do a better job of deflecting the sound away from the singers, and they're not very expensive. one of my friends works at clearsonic if they need to get in touch...

also, i get the gist of the thread poking at tone myths and assumptions (especially dead tone). just offering up an opinion on the underlying issue.
zoooombiex
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby hogan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:39 am

If something isn't open, it's closed.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby zoooombiex » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:02 am

hogan wrote:If something isn't open, it's closed.

literally, as a pure definitional matter devoid of context, i would disagree. i would say "partially obstructed" is neither purely "closed" nor purely "open"

furthermore, in the context of cabinet design, "closed back" and "open back" have very particular meanings. even if the cardboard were taped all around the edges of the cabinet that might make it "closed" in a dictionary sense but would not necessarily give it the attributes (especially the tonal attributes) associated with a "closed back" cabinet.
zoooombiex
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby strummingturtle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:01 am

it is kinda opened but a little closed or maybe it is closed and a little open at the same time.posting.php?mode=reply&f=425&t=10076#
strummingturtle
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:41 am

any one know the EXACT dimensions of said piece of cardboard ?
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby zoooombiex » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Tennessee Jedi wrote:any one know the EXACT dimensions of said piece of cardboard ?
:-)

I'd like to know what ply cardboard? bursting strength? glossy or matte finish? and what brand of tape?
zoooombiex
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

PreviousNext

Return to Cabinets