Sarno Music Solutions!

Re: Sarno Music Solutions!

Postby tcsned » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:55 am

JonnyBoy wrote:
TI4-1009 wrote:
tcsned- did (can?) you try the SMS as the preamp through the effects loop of the Mesa's? Just curious, I was thinking of something similar- wanting the tone of the SMS, but also the versitility of the Mesa when needed for other stuff.

Wouldn't that be the way you would have to run the SMS to get the pure SMS channel? Like preamp->effects in mesa-> signal to mesa power amp only->speakers? It is good you are all working out the kinks before I get mine 8) .

Yeah, that's how I've been running it. The A/B test I did was with the Mesa's preamp. Using the effects loop of the Mesa requires turning the output of the SMS down pretty low (I've got mine around 3) since it's a pretty hot signal coming out.

Live, you'd need to disconnect the SMS from the loop to use the Mesa and that could be a little tricky. I've got a Mark IV 1x12 combo and a Mark III head with a half open cab. I wish I had a smaller 2x12 cab 'cause the Mesa is huge easily the size of most 4x12s.
tcsned

Postby mijknahs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks. It's a custom "Jerry" guitar made by Bill Asher. Cocobolo/maple/cocobolo sandwich with a maple set neck and ebony fretboard. Waldo buffer. DiMarzio Super II middle position in split coil (but that's for another thread...)

Let's keep this one on S.M.S.!

Jim

Stone wrote:Sounds good. What kind of guitar are you playing ?
mijknahs

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:24 pm

All this talking has me pulling the trigger on one since the money fell into my lap. I LOVE my twin preamp, I am sure it will be that hair better I am striving for. I probably wouldn't bother, but I want to put the head back into the combo, and have a Twin Reverb Tube amp again.... With jerry mods and preamp tap. This will be so much more transportable and help me shrink the rig some.. Can't wait.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tcsned » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:45 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:All this talking has me pulling the trigger on one since the money fell into my lap. I LOVE my twin preamp, I am sure it will be that hair better I am striving for. I probably wouldn't bother, but I want to put the head back into the combo, and have a Twin Reverb Tube amp again.... With jerry mods and preamp tap. This will be so much more transportable and help me shrink the rig some.. Can't wait.

Congrats! You won't regret it!
tcsned

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

I sold off all of my old gear and got the SMS. Havent missed one thing since!
jdsmodulus

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:25 pm

Just ordered an SMS Classic with Jerry mods and PRP resistors. :-) Can't wait for the new rig!
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Chuckles » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:50 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:All this talking has me pulling the trigger on one since the money fell into my lap. I LOVE my twin preamp, I am sure it will be that hair better I am striving for. I probably wouldn't bother, but I want to put the head back into the combo, and have a Twin Reverb Tube amp again.... With jerry mods and preamp tap. This will be so much more transportable and help me shrink the rig some.. Can't wait.
Congrats, JB! The drop in weight is almost enough to justify the move... the fact that it sounds so damned sweet is just gravy. Or, maybe it's the other way around... hmmm.

Either way, you're gonna be one happy hippie :smile:
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:09 pm

wolftigerrosebud wrote:Just ordered an SMS Classic with Jerry mods and PRP resistors. :-) Can't wait for the new rig!

Damn! I better get my deposit in and get a place in line, I bet brad barely sleeps freaking out about orders. :lol:

Yes, to answer the few posts of encouragement, it was after seeing Jon s. and his simple set up way back that I have had dreams at night. Wild dreams that I had one in a 6u spaced rack with my other tuner and GCX, and a handle for easy transport. I would just start awake in a sweat and wonder why I lug this crap around when there is a solution. A Sarno Solution. Its time to join the Sarno Club and be a part of the Sarno solution. Yes I have been drinking a little. :D Thanks brothers.
JonnyBoy

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:40 am

Johnny, I think that part of the Sarno solution is being a little drunk. (Just kidding, Brad.)

Jon's rig was what I got the idea from, too. In fact, I'm ordering the same power amp and rackmount case that he has. Everything 'cept the power conditioner, which I may add at a later date. As far as backup for orders right now, I was told 3-4 weeks was approximately where things are right now, for which I'm grateful, as I went into it expecting a month and a half.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby strumminsix » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:30 am

Mine is on order and per Brad's advisement he's waiting on Power supply transformers.

I'm gonna match mine with a Mesa 20/20. Gonna make a great Bobby rig!
strumminsix

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:32 pm

We should all take pics of our SMS rigs and send them to brad to make a collage for his product shows he goes to. It is amazing this many people on a message/social board is won over by a single piece of equipment of this price range (unlike a pedal or a buffer, etc..). It only tells me I'm gonna be missing out if I don't go through with it! Sending in the payment today! :thewave:

Brad- tell those slackers to get those transformers sent out! This is some serious shit they are holding up here. :twisted: :D

That is gonna be an awesome bobby rig Strum... A guy here (in my town) is waiting on an SMS is gonna pair it up with a Mesa too, he will be playing with us as time warrants from law school and internships this summer.... speaking of that amp.. any lines on a mesa rack amp for sale out here/there?
JonnyBoy

Postby strumminsix » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:02 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:We should all take pics of our SMS rigs and send them to brad to make a collage for his product shows he goes to. It is amazing this many people on a message/social board is won over by a single piece of equipment of this price range (unlike a pedal or a buffer, etc..). It only tells me I'm gonna be missing out if I don't go through with it! Sending in the payment today! :thewave:

Brad- tell those slackers to get those transformers sent out! This is some serious shit they are holding up here. :twisted: :D

That is gonna be an awesome bobby rig Strum... A guy here (in my town) is waiting on an SMS is gonna pair it up with a Mesa too, he will be playing with us as time warrants from law school and internships this summer.... speaking of that amp.. any lines on a mesa rack amp for sale out here/there?

I'm psyched for it too, Anne! I bought mine used on a forum!
strumminsix

Postby Jon S. » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:33 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:We should all take pics of our SMS rigs and send them to brad to make a collage for his product shows he goes to.

Right click - save.

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby tcsned » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Here's mine:
Attachments
rack.jpg
rack.jpg (227.64 KiB) Viewed 428 times
tcsned

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Very cool brothers, I will wait for others to come in an do the same, mine comes in 3-4 weeks, already have the new and improved baltic birch rack with effects shelves inspired by Jerry's effects rack. I already have a killer one, but it is a little too big for me to fit in my car. The new one has a 6u rack space, for the Furman, GCX, Korg and SMS, and some room to spare... 2 shelves, one tilted and one underneath for wires and sundry crap. I have to get a camera that works, when the sms arrives. I know brad could have a cool board on display with the 20 or so people that have them here. Maybe more! :cool:

Sweet pics guys, Thanks for posting them they also make me realize how great this is going to be in the end for me...

some quick questions, can you put pedals in between the pre and power ie..reverb without messing the tone up? I got a killer lexicon reverb pedal I am i love with. I could put it in front if needed, its been fine that way. Would it be exactly like putting it in a combo amp effects loop when you do that? Since the twin never had an effects loop, I never knew if it was that way for good reason. ?
JonnyBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone