Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Postby keirweir » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:38 am

So I know lots of folks use different options to get some dirt on with the Jerry leads. I use a few different methods but one I keep gravitating to is the Tube-MXR combo. I also use my OD-2 a lot as well but I can't get over the Tube MXR combo. Anyone else have any input on the combos they use? Here's a good example of the combo tone I am referring to.

At 5:49 I fumble but turned on the Tube Screamer. At 6:15 I added the MXR... Yet another Dear Prudence

http://www.archive.org/download/DLG2011 ... udence.mp3
Last edited by keirweir on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
keirweir
Senior Member
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Assachusetts

Re: Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Postby waldo041 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:49 am

i have longed believed that Jerry on occasion would reach in the rack and toggle the footswitch of the Mutron III to it's bypassed state and use the Overdrive function of that pedal. I believe i have footage of him doing this for a couple songs, but those examples are not any combo use. i hope to find some of that. that said, i do use the mutron bypassed with the dist+ for some searing sustainy tones. i implore those with the Mu3 to try it out.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2830
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:58 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Postby dleonard » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:21 am

That's some fantastic playing...band sounds great also. I really don't go hardcore for the Jerry tone, although I love it, but I've been using the combo of Tubescreamer and MXR Dist+ for a while now, i love it.
dleonard
Bear
Bear
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:45 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Postby 1960strat » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:45 am

Interesting topic. at our practice last night i was mixing my tubescreamer with Zendrive. Here is Jack Straw. i have the tubescreamer on the whole song. at 3:10 i crank up the volume on the guitar and at about 3:12 kick in the zendrive. i was playing a 71 les paul goldtop with P-90s into a matchless chieftan. Not really going for Jerry tone just my own. Oh yeah i have played with these guys twice.

http://ia700402.us.archive.org/26/items ... Straw2.mp3
He's so high he will probably sell it to us for free.
1960strat
Skeleton
Skeleton
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:07 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Postby keirweir » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:56 am

Thanks Dleonard!

Waldo,I'd love to hear an A-B of this setting.

Another cool one is using just the MXR and rolling the tone all the way down on the guitar. Works well with Octave.
User avatar
keirweir
Senior Member
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Assachusetts

Re: Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Postby bdhact1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:06 pm

I've been using the OD-1, OD-2 combo for those late 80s to mid 90s sustained overtone leads. This is what I believe he used to create those tones during that period.

I'd make a sound sample if I had the right computer setup.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Postby keirweir » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:12 pm

bdhact1 wrote:I've been using the OD-1, OD-2 combo for those late 80s to mid 90s sustained overtone leads. This is what I believe he used to create those tones during that period.

I'd make a sound sample if I had the right computer setup.



I have been meaning to say the OD-2.

Cool man, I should say while Jer is what I am going for I do leave room for my own tastes. There are so many way to get after that tone!

On the recording aspect... I use a Zoom H2 $200 and downloaded a wavepad music editor program found on audacity.comfor $50 and it works great.
User avatar
keirweir
Senior Member
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Assachusetts

Re: Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Postby keirweir » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:18 pm

1960strat wrote:Interesting topic. at our practice last night i was mixing my tubescreamer with Zendrive. Here is Jack Straw. i have the tubescreamer on the whole song. at 3:10 i crank up the volume on the guitar and at about 3:12 kick in the zendrive. i was playing a 71 les paul goldtop with P-90s into a matchless chieftan. Not really going for Jerry tone just my own. Oh yeah i have played with these guys twice.

http://ia700402.us.archive.org/26/items ... Straw2.mp3


Has a nice Warren Feel to it
User avatar
keirweir
Senior Member
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Assachusetts

Re: Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Postby bdhact1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:36 pm

keirweir wrote:
bdhact1 wrote:I've been using the OD-1, OD-2 combo for those late 80s to mid 90s sustained overtone leads. This is what I believe he used to create those tones during that period.

I'd make a sound sample if I had the right computer setup.





On the recording aspect... I use a Zoom H2 $200 and downloaded a wavepad music editor program found on audacity.comfor $50 and it works great.



Thanks for the advice on the software. I'll try to obtain them.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Postby waldo041 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:58 pm

at the very beginning of this hampton 87 ship of fools video is where he, i believe, is flipping the mutron in bypass(footswitch) and probably nudges the volume. they played feel like a stranger earlier at the end of the first set with no other effect being used up to this point. so the envelope was on and needed to be switched to bypass, thus why i make the assumption. after he is seen at the beginning of the video at the rack he turns around and then he flips the OBEL on, and begins to play the beginning intro with the OBEL on, maybe a bar into it he flips the OBEL off. in the video at 2 seconds in he flips the OBEL on and starts ship of fools, then at about 8 seconds in he flips the OBEL off. those brief seconds are a clue because the sound is clean and is neither distortion , nor delay nor phase or envelope.

Hampton 87 video


to drive this little clue home listen to the soundboard of the very same ship of fools at the archive. at about 7 seconds in you can hear him at the same note as the video flipping the OBEL off and because of the guitars volume level, there is not all that much difference between the 2. very clean, again no distortion, phase, delay or envelope heard with the OBEL on.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1987-0 ... eok.flac16

but then when he hits the solo watch 3:27 (and listen 3:30) to him when he flips the OBEL back on in the video WITHOUT adding any other effect at the footswitches. he does turn the guitars volume up. we already knew he could throw the mc2300 into clipping with just the guitars volume pushed. but with the mutron bypassed overdrive, he is really slamming it into controlled sustained feedback. he can do the same thing with the dist+ or other OD/dist's used, but they have more grit to them then this sound does.

now go back and pay attention to the end outro jam(Vid 7:09 Aud 7:12). the OBEL is off and he doesn't flip it on, he stays clean and then moves just the volume to achieve that pushed heavy tone we already knew he could get by clipping the mac. the tones are very similiar, but the solo is clearly,imo, the mutron III bypassed overdrive on top of that pushed heavy tone.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2830
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:58 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Postby Imagined Days » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:25 pm

I use a Dist + with silicon diodes. I keep the dist level all the way down and the volume at about 4 o'clock. I keep this on all the time. It is mostly a clean sound with a touch of bite and grit. Very Jerry like. I then use a Analogman Silver mod Tube Screamer for certain things. I just built an MXR Dist+ from General Guitar Gadgets and am trying that in place of the tubescreamer. I just don't hear Jerry's tone in it though? I think Jerry's Dist + was modded???? Something is definetely different.

Chris
Imagined Days
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:23 am
Location: Albany, NY

Re: Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:31 pm

nice Warren Feel


Ouch! Oxymoron in my book. I was never a big Warren fan- when he was in this element. Just MHO.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
User avatar
TI4-1009
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1587
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:27 am
Location: Upstate NY- Toodaloo

Re: Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Postby bdhact1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:46 pm

waldo041 wrote:at the very beginning of this hampton 87 ship of fools video is where he, i believe, is flipping the mutron in bypass(footswitch) and probably nudges the volume. they played feel like a stranger earlier at the end of the first set with no other effect being used up to this point. so the envelope was on and needed to be switched to bypass, thus why i make the assumption. after he is seen at the beginning of the video at the rack he turns around and then he flips the OBEL on, and begins to play the beginning intro with the OBEL on, maybe a bar into it he flips the OBEL off. in the video at 2 seconds in he flips the OBEL on and starts ship of fools, then at about 8 seconds in he flips the OBEL off. those brief seconds are a clue because the sound is clean and is neither distortion , nor delay nor phase or envelope.



to drive this little clue home listen to the soundboard of the very same ship of fools at the archive. at about 7 seconds in you can hear him at the same note as the video flipping the OBEL off and because of the guitars volume level, there is not all that much difference between the 2. very clean, again no distortion, phase, delay or envelope heard with the OBEL on.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1987-0 ... eok.flac16

but then when he hits the solo watch 3:27 (and listen 3:30) to him when he flips the OBEL back on in the video WITHOUT adding any other effect at the footswitches. he does turn the guitars volume up. we already knew he could throw the mc2300 into clipping with just the guitars volume pushed. but with the mutron bypassed overdrive, he is really slamming it into controlled sustained feedback. he can do the same thing with the dist+ or other OD/dist's used, but they have more grit to them then this sound does.

now go back and pay attention to the end outro jam(Vid 7:09 Aud 7:12). the OBEL is off and he doesn't flip it on, he stays clean and then moves just the volume to achieve that pushed heavy tone we already knew he could get by clipping the mac. the tones are very similiar, but the solo is clearly,imo, the mutron III bypassed overdrive on top of that pushed heavy tone.

peace,
waldo



That's a gorgeous bluesy overdrive lead from the Mutron III. Perfect sound for that song.
Does the Q-tron come with that same type of bypass\overdrive circuit?
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Mixing Tube Screamer with MXR distortion

Postby keirweir » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:06 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:
nice Warren Feel


Ouch! Oxymoron in my book. I was never a big Warren fan- when he was in this element. Just MHO.


I totally repsect Warren but I could care less about his tone.
User avatar
keirweir
Senior Member
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Assachusetts


Return to Jerry Tone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests