PU choices other than Super II?

PU choices other than Super II?

Postby jeager » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:09 pm

Given that much of the Jerry's tone comes from using just one coil in the middle position I am wondering if anyone has any recommendation for a good set of single coils that might produce a similar spectrum to his middle position single coil, what characteristics of that PU (split super II) make it so unique? ... What model single coil might be good match?
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: PU choices other than Super II?

Postby Grant » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:42 pm

i'd be interested in this too...
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:34 pm

Interesting you brought this up, There are some real interesting pickups out there, but in the dimarzio camp, The EJ Custom is a vintage output pickup that has a relatively same resistance as the super II and the focus on the high end like a super II. Its 4 conductor for splitting and phase reversal too. I have been looking into buying a pair for a new neckthru Jerry guitar I picked up for nothing. I would also like to hear about some of the other brands out there, but some of the boutique pickups are just too pricey when a dimarzio is just fine for good tone.

Dual Sounds of coarse are close too, and Jerry used those in his guitars, but the super II has a nice high end to it and reacts much like a strat single coil dynamically, without the hum. I have the 36th annv. PAFs and they are awesome. There is a little volume difference with the super II but, I use the super II for Jerry stuff and a mix of the paf or the neck PAF for other tones. I only use the bridge pickup for one song we do. I like the area 58's and 67 in my strat, and with the right settings / EQ it is a killer vintage sounding strat that can emulate a lot of tones including alligator.

I would like to hear some descriptions of the Lollar's
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:38 am

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Bobbyg » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:20 am

On a similar note, I have a Carvin DC400 and am trying to Jerryfy the guitar a bit more. Since my guitar has only two pick-ups, what do you think would be choices to put in?
Bobbyg
Keith
Keith

Postby rkubik » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:43 pm

While we are on the subject. I am looking at building an SG and looking to put PAFs in but unsure on company/make. I have read some on the forum about Dimarzio's anniversary PUPs but can anyone recommend any others that you have had good luck with. I want the early Jerry sound and have always wanted an SG (bought and LP instead)
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Kennay » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:20 pm

I had a Carvin AP11 installed in the neck position of my Tiger. I gotta tell ya....IT KICKS ASS!! Not sure how it would work on the middle and bridge but my oh my. I`m very happy with it.
Kennay
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby CoolBreeze » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:44 pm

That previous thread on this subject was very interesting- and lots of good ideas. But there was never never a final resolution- some folks custom-winding (or unwinding) various pickups. But never a final decision on a good, off the shelf option-
CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby jeager » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:48 pm

Hey thanks for all of your thoughts on this. I gotta think that with the middle pu on my Clapton strat, I am not doing too bad, its very bright and it is a hum canceling single coil so I will stick with it for now and see how it works when I add the SMS pre amp to my rig. I am a big fan of the Alligator tones anyway...I might post another dumb question about how to get that slightly overdriven tone from that period... I imagine it has been asked already so if there is an earlier string you know about let me know...

One thing I am starting to find more useful about this guitar is the active mid boost they included. I can't use all 25 db (or whatever it is) or I just get mud and start to overload my effects units... but using just a bit of mid boost on any of the PUs can fatten things up and take some edge of the top end, a whole different color, kind of nice for distorted sounds. Not strictly Jerry but maybe a different way to arrive at some similar tones.
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Grant » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:39 pm

would be great if dimarzio released a stacked super II
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Pete B. » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:56 pm

Here's a DiMarzio Pickup comparison chart:
http://www.mydukkan.com/dosyalar/tech_d ... _guide.pdf
Pete B.

Postby Jon S. » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:33 am

A nice middle SC PUP is a Lindy Fralin Steel Pole 43 wound to 9.0K ohms. This is not on Lindy's web page, but if you ask (as I did), he'll tap it for you at any value you like, e.g., tapped at 6.0K and the tap attached to a minitoggle. This give a nice, big, fat but not to my ears so fat as to be P90-ish middle coil tone. But then, with a flick of the minitoggle, it's in vintage Strat territory.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyleSP43.asp
Last edited by Jon S. on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:18 am

saw these, ordered one for myself on a guitar I am working on, they are exceptionally low in price if anyone is in need: Super II pckups

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270700578015
JonnyBoy

Postby Stone » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:56 pm

What is the difference between the Super 2 and Super Distortion. I'm probably going to throw a few or three into a Ibanez Musician.
Stone
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:53 am

According to Dimarzio, A super II was supposed to sound a lot like a regular Super Distortion in the bridge position. The Super II is about 8.6K resistance while the Regular Super Distortion is about 13K. The super II is wound to accentuate the highs while the mids and lows are about mid level in power. A split super II in the middle position of a solid wood guitar sounds like Jerry, period or like a strat single coil without the hum. The regular super distortion use to be made with 2 conductors while the super II had 4. Now they are both made with 4. My new Jerry caster neck through is going to have a super distortion in the bridge, a super II in the middle and an Eric Johnson custom (bridge) (EJ Custom) for the neck. I am really excited to hear the out come. I am sick of having no power in my bridge position, is one issue, but I can't wait to see how the EJ custom works out compared to a super II. its tonally similar but it has AlNico magnets and a tad less resistance. Either way those are all great tried and true pickups.

I have been super happy with the 36th anniversary PAF's, I am hoping the more treble response in a PAF foundation with the EJ custom will be like a super II mixed with an alnico PAF. This may be my ultimate pickup ever created. :smile: Maybe not......I hope so though.
JonnyBoy

Next

Return to Jerry Tone