Just picked up a Fender Pro

Just picked up a Fender Pro

Postby jahozer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:34 pm

Finally bought an amp. I had been looking for a while and was leaning towards a twin.
Its a 70 (I think) Fender Pro Reverb. All original. 45 watts.
The sparkle is just beautiful. I cant imagine having a twin with as loud as this freakin thing is.
I do have to say, though, that after A/B testing with my Ampeg SuperJet, I have more respect for the Ampeg. While the Fender is worlds more dimensional and sparkly, the Ampeg holds her own and will be a nice back up/ smaller footprint option.

I may swap the speakers, they are Utahs. The tubes are new, but I think everything else is stock. Gonna have my tech give her a once over.
But right now, I AM IN LUUUUUV!!!
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Re: Just picked up a Fender Pro

Postby caspersvapors » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:40 pm

I got a 65, it came with GT 6L6s and I thought it was already pretty loud. Then I replaced em with Winged C's and it got even louder lol. Anyways I think my amp sounds way better than my bandmates Showman
caspersvapors

Postby jahozer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:08 pm

Just checking in to say that I FREAKING LOVE THIS AMP!!!!!
Its just beautiful.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby CoolBreeze » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Hey jahozer-

I am not familiar with these amps at all- I did some searches, and I'm getting all kinds of different results- do you have a pic? I'd love to hear more on this one-

BTW- Congrats!
Bruce
CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:22 pm

caspersvapors

Postby hogan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:25 pm

I've got a '66 Blackface one. Its a pretty sweet amp.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby CoolBreeze » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Nice! I had heard the amp referenced by name - but never was aware of it's make-up.

So-
A Fender with:
40 watts
Reverb
and 2x12s

That's perfection!

Enjoy-
Bruce
CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:12 pm

Scott Law plays one of those when he plays electric.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby rugger » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:46 am

Here's mine. It's a '66 or '67, I forget which at the moment. It's got the original brown and gold Jensen C12N's in it. Don't get to play it a ton, but the other day I stuck a tube screamer in front of it and plugged in a Jazzmaster loaded with Lollar P-90's. Tone Heaven! I'm a bit of a tinkerer so I'm constantly changing up amps, guitars and pedals--not always successfully lol! But this was a winning combo. :-)

John in San Diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby jahozer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:28 pm

I am running a 79 ES-335 into it. I have been A/B ing it with and without my board. Teeny Tiny high end roll off going through my effects, but its fairly bright as it is so its still very nice. It loves my AM TS9 Silver.
I can post pics, but it really just looks like a fender.
Its really just what I wanted. That Fender sound at lower watts, and a nice price.
I would not have any trouble playing a gig with this baby, and if its thaaat big of a gig, It would be mic'd anyway.
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby zambiland » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:21 pm

I love these amps. They used to have tons of them cheap at the Cambridge Musician back in the day and I always thought I'd get around to getting one, but then they jumped in price in the early 90s. Oh well.

Enjoy it!
zambiland

Postby squire758 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:06 pm

a guy at some open jams i hit around town uses one of these and they are very very nice. i envy it so much bc it is thee happy medium between a twin and a deluxe reverb. he always uses this amp with a vintage fender reverb unit I love just as much
squire758
Jester
Jester

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:42 am

The Fender Pro Reverb is hands down the must under-rated Fender amp of the bunch. 2-12" so it voices just like a Twin. 45 watts so it's usable for mortal humans compared to the Twin that in most cases is a brutally loud monster, although when doing the super clean, high-headroom Jerry thing or pedal steel thing, the Twin is quite often appropriate. But as a guitar amp you can really light up and make sing, the Pro is fantastic. I just scored a '69 Bandmaster Reverb head which basically is a Pro Reverb head but with the added midrange control on the reverb channel. I did the full Jerry mods to it and it's quite amazing sounding. As long as I run it within or just up to its power limits, I gotta say it's the shizz..

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Return to Jerry Tone