Huge, MAJOR announcement

Re: Huge, MAJOR announcement

Postby ebick » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:16 am

bodiddley wrote:all on SBD? Upload that Mutha...pretty please!

not SBD...didn't see that stipulation anywhere in the thread....sorry.
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:44 am

rkubik wrote:I am a little torn on something with this. I have no objection to the price or what comes with the set as it all sounds really cool. My concern is why are they limiting the amount of sets besides to just make the money and eventually jack the price way up. It seems against the whole spirit of the music to limit it to a few thousand sets. It still pisses me off that they take stuff off archive once it is released there were quite a few Auds that I really liked that are no longer available.

Even though I have many of the shows downloaded some are of low quality and a nice soundboard would be great. I guess maybe I am just more bummed about now making the decision to save for the set or upgrade my amp and gear and then if I get the money saved it may not be available. Such is life :cry:

I hear you.
But I have to admit from day one of being a Head in 85 I have always gotten free Dead. Yes I have bought stuff too.
But lots of my stuff comes from downloading .... trading .....
These E 72 shows will be out there now and someone will burn you what you want.
So ... everyone is happy !
More music and the Dead make cash piles.
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby glocke12 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:50 am

"I hear you.
But I have to admit from day one of being a Head in 85 I have always gotten free Dead. Yes I have bought stuff too.
These E 72 shows will be out there now and someone will burn you what you want."

But you won't have all the extra goodies, such as your name engraved on the box.....(tacky me thinks).

Anyway, Ive got my pre-order in...I just hope that by the time September rolls around Ive got the cabbage to pay for it.
glocke12
tiger
tiger

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:02 pm

glocke12 wrote:"I hear you.
These E 72 shows will be out there now and someone will burn you what you want."

But you won't have all the extra goodies, such as your name engraved on the box.....(tacky me thinks).

Anyway, Ive got my pre-order in...I just hope that by the time September rolls around Ive got the cabbage to pay for it.

Yeah it comes with a nice book full of cool pics ... i would like to see that for sure ....
When you get it - can I ' borrow ' some cd's ??????
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Lunchbox16 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:40 pm

I, for one, ponied up for this (or at least I'll be saving until September when the bill comes). I had emailed David Lemieux in the fall and he told me he was lobbying for this, but I had no idea it was this close to coming to fruition. To be honest, I was expecting a $600-800 price tag, so I think that $450 for 66 discs is pretty righteous in it's own right, all the packaging and other stuff is just icing. I don't NEED that stuff, but I won't turn it down either.

Since collecting CDs is a hobby for me (especially Dead CDs) I've learned that it's important to jump on these things early, because even though it's expensive now it'd be even more expensive in the future, see the Fillmore West box set (which I own, too). Even if Rhino decided to sell the shows individually, which they have made no indication they will do, I would be really surprised if they priced them at $21/show, which is the breakdown of the box set. Rockin' The Rhein retails for $32, so it's not too much to think that if Rhino DID sell these individually $32 would be a possible price point, plus shipping (which is free for the box set) for 22 shows would be way over $450.

As someone who never saw the GD with Jerry, I jump at the opportunity to get any thing GDP/Rhino releases. Perhaps I'm a sucker, but I have no complaints about what they have chosen to release. In my opinion everything has its merits. I just wish they would keep everything in stock to avoid the re-sale prices of some of these things (See Dick's Picks, vols 25, 28, 32, and 34). I've already suggested to Rhino that they should make a box set out of all the bonus discs they've done over the years - that will probably never happen, but it'd be nice. The difficulty of acquiring some of the releases is the only complaint I have (and not just the tech snafu of the E72 box set ordering). I'd gladly pay for these things if they were simply available to do so. It's better for GDP/Rhino to get my money than for some schlep on the internet, right? I guess that's one part of economics I don't understand: If something sells out, there is obviously a market for it and more should be re-ordered. Oh well, those decisions are above my pay grade.
"Is maith an scéalaí an aimsir." Time is a great storyteller. -- Irish Proverb
Lunchbox16
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby synche » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:55 pm

The entire limited edition of 7200 boxed sets are sold out. They are still selling just the shows without all the bells and whistles for the same price, however.
synche
Vince
Vince

Postby glocke12 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:44 am

" I just wish they would keep everything in stock to avoid the re-sale prices of some of these things (See Dick's Picks, vols 25, 28, 32, and 34)."

Whats the deal with these anyway...Why are they not available?
glocke12
tiger
tiger

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:50 am

synche wrote:The entire limited edition of 7200 boxed sets are sold out. They are still selling just the shows without all the bells and whistles for the same price, however.

wow!

7200 x 450 = 3,240,000!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby bodiddley » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:38 am

They were planning on selling more all along. The whole thing reeks of shady sales tactics. Anyway, they should offer the version without the bells and whistles for a little less. Maybe one of these days they'll get with the times and offer a downloadable version. Don't know why they refuse to do that. So many people would just rather not have to deal with CD's anymore, including myself. They should be obsolete by now.
bodiddley

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:31 am

Is there a huge, MAJOR announcement somewhere in this thread? I seem to have missed it :P
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:52 am

tigerstrat wrote:Is there a huge, MAJOR announcement somewhere in this thread? I seem to have missed it :P

+1
strumminsix

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:28 pm

waldo041 wrote:
synche wrote:The entire limited edition of 7200 boxed sets are sold out. They are still selling just the shows without all the bells and whistles for the same price, however.

wow!

7200 x 450 = 3,240,000!

peace,
waldo

You saw Bob's new studio, those don't come cheap :smile: ! Anyway, if there was anyone I would be happy making lots of dough it would be them, remember Keesha made more in 2 months with a single song on itunes (3.5 million downloads) Tick Tock. In the scheme of things that is not all that much money, but it sure is a lot per what you get for $450. IMO the GD have done us right music wise over the years... But still lack 1/2 a G to buy it....That music/era is right up my alley too. I think Maxell made most of the profit from my collection over the years.... :-)
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby mttourpro » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:06 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:
waldo041 wrote:

wow!

7200 x 450 = 3,240,000!

peace,
waldo

You saw Bob's new studio, those don't come cheap :smile: ! Anyway, if there was anyone I would be happy making lots of dough it would be them, remember Keesha made more in 2 months with a single song on itunes (3.5 million downloads) Tick Tock. In the scheme of things that is not all that much money, but it sure is a lot per what you get for $450. IMO the GD have done us right music wise over the years... But still lack 1/2 a G to buy it....That music/era is right up my alley too. I think Maxell made most of the profit from my collection over the years.... :-)

it's actually 324,000. but hey, what's a couple mil these days...
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby caspersvapors » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:15 pm

waldo041 wrote:

wow!

7200 x 450 = 3,240,000!

peace,
waldo

that really isnt much
caspersvapors

Postby caspersvapors » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:20 pm

rkubik wrote:I am a little torn on something with this. I have no objection to the price or what comes with the set as it all sounds really cool. My concern is why are they limiting the amount of sets besides to just make the money and eventually jack the price way up. It seems against the whole spirit of the music to limit it to a few thousand sets. It still pisses me off that they take stuff off archive once it is released there were quite a few Auds that I really liked that are no longer available.

no, theyre limiting the amount of sets because they want to actually sell all the produce. youre paying like 7.50 a disk, plus getting a bunch of extra stuff too. where are you getting this jacking prices stuff? the only people jacking prices will be the dudes flipping this set on ebay, and its not like GD is getting a dime of that
caspersvapors

PreviousNext

Return to Tapers Section