Matt Moriarty does it again!

Re: Matt Moriarty does it again!

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:00 am

Chuckles wrote:One question regarding Matt's work... Waldo posted all those amazing pics last year - of Rosebud, I think it was? - and iirc many of the sandwich layers didn't line up evenly. If Matt builds a Rosebud, is this included, or does he neaten it up a bit? I mean, how authentic is authentic? Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to stir anything up, but how many people playing one of Matt's actually have the same high action as Garcia/use Vinci's, etc?

i see your point, but one would also wait many years if at all to perfectly match wood grains as well. so while it is a good question, there is a difference between having and not having certain things that are actually part of the build, such as the proper brass components. for instance that entire fingerboard has a brass binding all the way around it, not one other jerry guitar replica other then the moriarty's even do that. imo, these are more accurate features some choose not to include.

i for one have found that if you are a fingerpicker, like jerry was, that higher action helps get the job done. it also is part of and does affect the tone, and is really not all that difficult to play. he didn't have a high action just to do it, there was a reason. just another accurate feature or way to help get that tone some choose to not include.

i did use vinci's but they are obsolete now.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Thomas Lieber » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 am

YES thankfully Matt has done it again and created some very beautiful instruments!!!

Listen folks Matt and I are friendly with one another. I support his passion for building; he is a talented young luthier who more importantly is a good and genuine person. Who understands that his wife and family are first and foremost his greatest gift’s in life!

Guitars are inanimate objects that a gifted builder can instill a piece of themselves within, this is without doubt! But it is the hearts of others that instill themselves within us!

Lets not forget that this forum is entitled R U Kind, so lets all be!

Thomas
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:44 am

Lock Thread! :peas:
jdsmodulus

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:10 am

"waldo041 for instance that entire fingerboard has a brass binding all the way around it, not one other jerry guitar replica other then the moriarty's even do that. imo, these are more accurate features some choose not to include.

peace,
waldo

Phiga T3: "Solid brass binding around fingerboard." Example on dozin's post: http://dozin.com/guitar/collection.jpg
Last edited by TI4-1009 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:56 am

TI4-1009 wrote:
"waldo041 for instance that entire fingerboard has a brass binding all the way around it, not one other jerry guitar replica other then the moriarty's even do that. imo, these are more accurate features some choose not to include.

peace,
waldo

Phiga T3: "Solid brass binding around fingerboard."

well, there ya go! thanks for showing me the other.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tcsned » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:59 am

Thomas Lieber wrote:YES thankfully Matt has done it again and created some very beautiful instruments!!!

Listen folks Matt and I are friendly with one another. I support his passion for building; he is a talented young luthier who more importantly is a good and genuine person. Who understands that his wife and family are first and foremost his greatest gift’s in life!

Guitars are inanimate objects that a gifted builder can instill a piece of themselves within, this is without doubt! But it is the hearts of others that instill themselves within us!

Lets not forget that this forum is entitled R U Kind, so lets all be!

Thomas

+1 Thomas, well said. This isn't a pissing contest between two very talented builders. It comes down to subjective things and personal taste whether one would choose one of these guys to build your dream guitar - which is what you will get from either of them.
tcsned

Postby jkstraw » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:14 pm

waldo041 wrote:
TI4-1009 wrote:

peace,
waldo

Phiga T3: "Solid brass binding around fingerboard."

well, there ya go! thanks for showing me the other.

peace,
waldo

....and mine (modified replica that it is :-) ) - done by Danny Ransom
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby niranson » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 pm

To be fair, Lieber's "Garcia" has the solid brass binding around the fingerboard as well.

But Waldo is absolutely right that it doesn't have some of the other exact replication touches that others use because it's more of a "re-envisioning" than a replica according to Lieber.

Peace.
niranson
welcome
welcome

Postby Emoto » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:22 pm

You know, all of these guitars being made by Tom L., or Matt M., Phil G., etc. are, to me, pure works of art. They are fantastic. Someday, when I can scrape up enough cash, I will have some sort of guitar like these guys make. It will be great. :hail:
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:25 pm

Emoto wrote:You know, all of these guitars being made by Tom L., or Matt M., Phil G., etc. are, to me, pure works of art. They are fantastic. Someday, when I can scrape up enough cash, I will have some sort of guitar like these guys make. It will be great. :hail:

Damn right, Bob. If funds were no object I'd order a custom bass by Moriarty, Lieber, Walker, Res, Modulus and maybe Phiga. It's all good. And then I still might end up playing my cheapo DeArmond Starfire... but who knows? I just love instruments. I want one of everything.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tcsned » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:37 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:I just love instruments. I want one of everything.

+1
tcsned

Postby bdhact1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:15 am

If money were no object. I'd probably have them both design me something completely different, no holds barred, maybe with some minute homage to Irwin and Jerry, using the same pickup, OBEL, and buffer system. Jerry asked of Irwin to create something new and to not hold back on anything. I'd want both Luthiers to do the same.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:16 am

bdhact1 wrote:If money were no object. I'd probably have them both design me something completely different, no holds barred, maybe with some minute homage to Irwin and Jerry, using the same pickup, OBEL, and buffer system. Jerry asked of Irwin to create something new and to not hold back on anything. I'd want both Luthiers to do the same.

Well said, dude.
strumminsix

Postby Adam Deckard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:05 am

I think we should get Doug Irwin, Thomas Lieber and Matt Moriarty to do a reality show where Jim Irsay forks over a ton of cash and all three luthiers battle it out to see who can create the best replica of Jerry's Tiger. It will be like those shows on abc where you got ozzies wife critiquing folks and what not. Waldo and Vic can be the judges along with special guest Phil Gawen. Once the decision is made, whoever wins gives their work to Irsay and the original tiger moves to Cleveland where waldo can measure it and I can go check it out sometime. Hey I know what if we get Waldo to build a flux capacitor, we go over to Danny Pritzker's house and install it in the wolf, set it for May 8, 2002 play the opening lick to Tennessee Jed and go back in time, and do a matrix style heist on the Guernsey Auction. Al Pachino decided to show up!? Shit we got De Niro and Val Kilmer with the GAU-5 full auto assault rifles in place layin down cover fire, quick play the intro to althea and lets get ouuutaaa heeeereeee!!!! whew that was a close one dudes.
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby bdhact1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:09 am

Adam Deckard wrote:I think we should get Doug Irwin, Thomas Lieber and Matt Moriarty to do a reality show where Jim Irsay forks over a ton of cash and all three luthiers battle it out to see who can create the best replica of Jerry's Tiger. It will be like those shows on abc where you got ozzies wife critiquing folks and what not. Waldo and Vic can be the judges along with special guest Phil Gawen. Once the decision is made, whoever wins gives their work to Irsay and the original tiger moves to Cleveland where waldo can measure it and I can go check it out sometime. Hey I know what if we get Waldo to build a flux capacitor, we go over to Danny Pritzker's house and install it in the wolf, set it for May 8, 2002 play the opening lick to Tennessee Jed and go back in time, and do a matrix style heist on the Guernsey Auction. Al Pachino decided to show up!? Shit we got De Niro and Val Kilmer with the GAU-5 full auto assault rifles in place layin down cover fire, quick play the intro to althea and lets get ouuutaaa heeeereeee!!!! whew that was a close one dudes.

They can call the show "Iron Luthier".
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone