What is the best amp combo for Jerry TONE???

Re: What is the best amp combo for Jerry TONE???

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:13 pm

Here is a quick sample of a 1969 patch I made recently with my Gdec 30. Not exactly the Dead or Jerry, but you get the idea. Its Still in tweaking phase a little too much post distortion but easily tweakable on the computer via USB... Just lay down some loops and have a jam session with yourself... lots of fun. I think I always said I would get a sample up to hear and never did. :smile:

http://ia700400.us.archive.org/1/items/GdecDarkStarSample/darkstarsampleGDEC.wav
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby jkstraw » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Thanks to you JonnyBoy I have the GDEC 3 thirty sitting in my basement. That is a real fun amp - I grabbed a few Jerry patches from the fuse site by 9MileSkid and it sounds preet darn good. Great portable solution for weekend trips etc.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby mkaufman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:44 pm

jerrys.kids wrote:swapping the speaker seems to be the common denominator in all these answers. will the jbl get you closer most every time?

Since the Princeton, etc. are lower powered, is there a non-coloring lower wattage-rated speaker (ie: a non-JBL speaker) which would be a good match for these lower powered amps? Possibly one that's lighter weight too?

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://www.advantech-ny.com/DellComputerWarranty/
mkaufman

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:35 pm

jkstraw wrote:Thanks to you JonnyBoy I have the GDEC 3 thirty sitting in my basement. That is a real fun amp - I grabbed a few Jerry patches from the fuse site by 9MileSkid and it sounds preet darn good. Great portable solution for weekend trips etc.

9mileskid is our very own Brutusbuck!! Quite the Gdec tweaker he is, I have used his patches to develop my own for my guitars/pickups (he uses a custom Carvin- HSH). My "1969" patch is actually a vox model all tweaked out, go figure. Out of all those amp models to choose from, Jerry can live in many different amps I can see, if you have the time to mess with it.

I really enjoy it to jam and practice mostly. It makes recording a breeze to catch ideas, it took less than 20 min to make that clip and post it!! I know this isn't for everyone, but it is nice if you live in an area where dead head musicians are hard to find. I have been totally lazy and not posted much on the Fuse site (Jboy). I always wanted to develop some recorded practice loops to jam to and share also, plus whole songs which is possible too. I need a drum solution though... would love to get some of your(JKSTRAW) acoustic chord progressions and get them on the amp to practice my acoustic duo gig I've been messing with, it will play wav or MP3, I have been using audaicty.

Imagine virtual jamming! Playing with a dude in Canada from Mississippi! form a virtual dead band that gigs online... hmmmm.... :lol: I do know now it is not the best replacement for my twin/mac setup, I have stopped trying to use it to gig, don't get me wrong, it was OK, but could never get the loud tone to sound authentic enough like the real deal. It sounds like it needs a special cab simulator or something like that, even though it has a few timbres to choose from. I wish it would take outside IR files from an axeFX or they had IR downloads for speaker cabs on the fender site. That would do the trick I think for DI and gigging. Thanks for sharing, JB :cool:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby jkstraw » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:30 am

JonnyBoy wrote: Imagine virtual jamming! Playing with a dude in Canada from Mississippi!

Sounds like a plan brother! I have been meaning to get some dead loops up there. It might take me a bit of time (Jan. is a busy month for me) - but I'll PM you when I have a couple up.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby brutusbuck45 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:36 am

Howdy y'all- JB and JS! Long time away, here... too much stuff has been going on and the little bit I have been around lately has mostly been in "lurking mode".

Hope all has been well with you fellas. So, I stumbled across this thread doing some past reading- especially because I am on the hunt for a smallish, tube combo. BTW, I have a lead on a Blues Jr that appears to be the right price, etc. I appreciate the kind words about the patches I posted on the FUSE site. I put those together back when I first got the G-DEC. I still use them and have done little tweaking to them since then. I have Flashed the memory with the new Blues patches and loops that are now available. (For sh_ts and grins, I also flashed it with the Metal and Country patches and loops to see what they were about). The amp really is a mini computer and has been a lot of fun and has allowed me to be very creative. I loaded a ton of my favorite tunes on an SD card and jam along them using my Jerry patches and accessing them via Quick Access on the front panel.

So, apologies for hi-jacking this old thread. If you all want to discuss the G-DEC any more, I would love to do so in a separate thread or even get one started on the FUSE forum (if that would be more appropriate). I would love to hear some of your GD or even non-GD related patches and loops that you may have created over the past months.

Regards,

-Brutus (Jeff)
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby rugger » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:47 am

Since the Princeton, etc. are lower powered, is there a non-coloring lower wattage-rated speaker (ie: a non-JBL speaker) which would be a good match for these lower powered amps? Possibly one that's lighter weight too?

I put a couple of WGS veteran 10's in a 2x10 cab. At $41 a pop they are affordable and sound great imo. I (sort of) AB'd them with a pair of k110's--did a quick recording on my iphone, swapped the speakers and recorded again. At clean, low volumes they sounded very similar to my ears. I did not get a chance to really put either speakers through their paces that day as I couldn't turn up, but I have since played with the WGS for a couple of band practices. I really dig them, and they are very light. I don't have the ability to post clips, but if you're interested, I still have the files on my iphone and could email the clips.

They have three 10" models to choose from.

http://wgs4.com/home

John in San Diego
rugger
Phil
Phil

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:37 pm

Leftyprs wrote:What is the best amp combo to get good Jerry tone?

Fender twin Reverb :peas:
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Postby brutusbuck45 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:35 am

So I have my eye on a local CList post for an Egnater Tweaker 15W head. It has a few really nice features including switching between Brit, Amer, and AC modes. I listened to quite a few demos on youtube. Most are kind of dirty tones. Does anyone have much experience with Egnater amps and especially clean tones or clean break-up?

Thanks,

-Jeff
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby vwjodyme » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:18 am

I looked into the egnaters pretty seriously for while - as much research as i could without playing one. Everything i heard was really good. some people said the cleans were really warm - not bright - but that could have been their other settings...eventually the no reverb and some other things scared me off. i think it was jonnyboy who originally got me interested in them after he said he played one at a GC.
in the end I paid a little more and went with a similar carvin vc3.
vwjodyme

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:31 pm

The worst part is that for all those mentions of Tramadol, there's no mention of how I can get some. -rep for getting my hopes up.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:18 pm

Garcia used 2 Fender Twin Reverb Combos - With out the speakers ( Of cource he used His JBL E-120's But he used 2 modded Fender Twin Reverbs. 8)
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Postby jahozer » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:13 pm

Im still in love with my Fender Pro Reverb. Very Jerry. Low watts.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby mijknahs » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:17 pm

My Twin Reverb with Waldo mods sounds great as a combo straight into a 2x12 JBL E120 cab. Very rich in harmonics. The McIntosh sounds different but the Twin as a combo sounds really, really good too.
mijknahs

Postby Gr8fulGreg » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:09 am

i went down the road of less is more
Fender HRDx---> RV300---> 2 JBL E-120s (thanks to jim for one E120 and the power amp)
But before i got the 2nd e 120, i played the HRDx loaded in it and it sounded good to
...More then my maker but he's no friend of mine
Gr8fulGreg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone