Looking for Opinions- HHH pickup choice

Looking for Opinions- HHH pickup choice

Postby jcadillac1973 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:45 am

When in doubt - ask the board.
I have a Maple neck/Koa body Carvin that is soon to be a HHH configuration.

Definitely going with the Super 2 in the middle.

Need suggestions for the neck and the bridge. Dual Sound in the bridge? Anyone have this type of combo? The original plan of 3- Super 2's is in doubt because I keep reading that people are not fond of them in the neck and bridge. Help?!
jcadillac1973
Vince
Vince

Re: Looking for Opinions- HHH pickup choice

Postby rkubik » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:40 am

I just recently built a Jerrycaster with an SDS-1 in the neck and a Super 2 in the middle and bridge. Also, have the coil switches for them as well and so far I have been happy with them. Granted I use the middle position the most but I like the tone I get from the bridge position (more country/twangy sounding to me). Big difference from my other Guitar (Les Paul with the two standard Humbuckers). I also like the SDS 1 in the neck. I think it blends well with the middle Super 2 and sounds good on its own for some things. I think a lot will depend on your personal preference though and what you are looking for. I run it through a small 30Watt Marshall practice amp. Hope this helps. Good luck.
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tcsned » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:09 pm

What are you looking to get out of your neck and bridge pickups?

Seymore Duncans are good, I also like Lollar and Rio Grandes. My favorites are Joe Bardens but I don't know how they will match up with a DiMarzio's output.
tcsned

Postby jackr » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:53 pm

+1 on the Lollars

If you have some bucks you can go with some Jim Rolphs. His website is the worst but his pickups are the best. Robben Ford uses them in his new Sakashta

http://www.jmrolph.com/
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby jcadillac1973 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:36 pm

In addition to the Jerry Super 2 split coil in the middle sound, I also want to cover the Cowboy Jerry tone(Mama tried/Me and my uncle/mexicali etc).

Non-Jerry tone- looking for flexibility mostly. I really dig Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page blues tones though.
jcadillac1973
Vince
Vince

Return to Jerry Tone