Frenzel Preamps?

Frenzel Preamps?

Postby Ender » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:47 am

Anyone have any experience? They are extremely inexpensive for a handmade preamp. Normally the guy bases the circuit off a bassman, but I emailed him and he said he could make one with an ab763 blackface circuit for the same price! It seems too good to be true!

http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/id27.html
Ender
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Re: Frenzel Preamps?

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:56 am

That is interesting ....
$195.00 ???????????
:D
I will sell my soul for a Sarno
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:58 am

Ender wrote:Anyone have any experience? They are extremely inexpensive for a handmade preamp. Normally the guy bases the circuit off a bassman, but I emailed him and he said he could make one with an ab763 blackface circuit for the same price! It seems too good to be true!

http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/id27.html

He has a Jerry Garcia type testimonial on his page. Have you considered Brad Sarno's SMS? I do believe Frenzel would do a great AB763 but Brad would do a GD/JG modified AB763. Just something to consider.
strumminsix

Postby Ender » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:05 am

I am well aware of Brads Preamp, I just happen to be a broke college student :lol:

$200 vs $700 is a big difference for me...
Ender
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby mkaufman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:34 am

"FM-DP1 - I am including a photo of my rig (see attachment) with your DP-1 into a EH Holy Grail Reverb, into a McIntosh MC2505, into a pair of JBL D120's. It is the EXACT sound and responsiveness I have been trying to achieve for years. Thanks again, Jeff"

Anyone here???

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:51 am

Ender wrote:I am well aware of Brads Preamp, I just happen to be a broke college student :lol:

$200 vs $700 is a big difference for me...

Yup, it's huge. Have you considered a combo or Twin?
strumminsix

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:56 am

Yeah Ender - what do you play now ?
Thought you had a nice sound with your band. Very Jerry !
I'm gonna go with the SMS once I get the bills paid ......
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Ender » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:21 am

I have a DRRI right now, and a carvin 1x12 mesa type knockoff + strat with super II's. The deluxe really doesn't cut it volume wise. I'm trying to sell it to fund this actually.

This just seems like a great deal!
I was planning on one of these Frenzels + a Rocktron Velocity... No jbls yet.. .but i have an EVM12L that sounds pretty fantastic. :cool:
Ender
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:43 am

strumminsix wrote:He has a Jerry Garcia type testimonial on his page.

That's Dave "A'Bear", of Xtra Ticket/Brother Kind notoriety...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Ender » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Has anyone here ever heard his rig before?
Ender
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Looks like a find, I am sure it would foot the bill well. Fail on the "sit on top" box, but way cool idea in general. I wonder what brand of components he uses, there is a significant price increase to use high end western made caps and such versus cheapo Asian components that have higher drift and failure issues. I would assume he has the cheaper stuff, but so does the reissue Fenders!

If I were you, I would give it a shot, nothing to loose, and a lot of money to save. Brads machine is MADE to be Jerry, has reverb, is rack mountable, and you know his stuff is DURABLE, its on a few tours as we speak. But hell, you could by 3 of these for the same. Durability would be a huge concern for me, as I am sure you too, I am always lugging gear around and I am sick of it to be super careful all the time. Hard decision..... in the end the real deal is always a bit better, we all know that, but "Big" money savings is even better sometimes. Tough call!!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:53 pm

Someone is gonna roll their eyes here but I don't mean to be preachy...

When it comes to gear you have to ask - is it a short-term hobby or a long-term passion?

For MANY years I spent tons of small amounts on crap gear while searching for the sound but never 100% happy for more than a few weeks or things broke.

Since then I've invested in better gear which is, in turn, more expensive. The result is being happier with my gear for YEARS and the gear holding up.

Just something to think about!

Since you mention college I'll have to ask have you considered that you'll need a poweramp and something to house the preamp and a cabinet for speakers?

There are many great combo amps out there....
strumminsix

Postby Ender » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:23 pm

I already have a 2 rack space case for a poweramp, and im not to worried about the speaker cab for now, i have that worked out..

I've tried many combos and realized that realistically to have the headroom i like, i need more than 50 watts... so that brings me into twin territory. Then When considering the tone from the twin or the tone from the pre/power setup it seems like what im after can be achieved better with the solid state power amp.

To me, i think there is definitely a tone difference between listening to a fender combo with power tubes, compared to the tone of the same preamp but with solid state power... am i crazy? :?
Ender
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:45 pm

Wow, impressive gear and ear :-) you are not crazy!
strumminsix

Postby Ender » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Is the sarno preamp a straight ab763 circuit? Or are the other mods done to it?
So are these preamps the same except for higher quality parts?
Ender
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Next

Return to Jerry Tone