Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Re: Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Postby flavaham » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:22 pm

tcsned wrote:Rivera's a great - I had Paul Jr. run me through a bunch of 'em at a buddy's store - very versatile and great tone. I think I liked them even better than my Boogies. Dr. Z's are also worth a look if these are in your price range. The one thing I would suggest is to think about where you're going to be using it and don't get something that is way overpowered for the spaces you're playing. If you're playing mostly at home or jamming with buddies in a basement a 100w amp is overkill. 25w is probably more than enough. If you really want the Twin sound and don't want the wattage I'd look at Brad's SMS Classic preamp. I am totally hooked on mine. Then you can get one of those Rocktron power amps and you'll be in business for a lot of volume situations and still be in the price range of a new TRRI.


Okay, some good info here but forgive me, who is Brad, what is his SMS Classic preamp, and where can I find one? haha. Also, don't know much about the Rocktron power amps.

Anyone know where to buy Rivera in Colorado? I did a search and couldn't locate a dealer. Gonna keep trying.
Thanks again!
User avatar
flavaham
TC
TC
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:55 pm
Location: Aurora, Co

Re: Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:26 pm

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/
Brad ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4211
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

Re: Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Postby flavaham » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:53 pm

Tennessee Jedi wrote:http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/
Brad ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


ooooooohhhhh, that looks pretty!! HAHA! So, I'd still need a speaker cab and power amp with that, yes? Could I use the cab of my current Fender Hot Rod as a speaker cab until I can afford a better one? I really don't know how it all works to be honest.
User avatar
flavaham
TC
TC
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:55 pm
Location: Aurora, Co

Re: Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Postby flavaham » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:58 pm

What do you know about the Revolution? Looks like a monster!! And prettier!!
User avatar
flavaham
TC
TC
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:55 pm
Location: Aurora, Co

Re: Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:35 pm

flavaham wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/
Brad ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


ooooooohhhhh, that looks pretty!! HAHA! So, I'd still need a speaker cab and power amp with that, yes? Could I use the cab of my current Fender Hot Rod as a speaker cab until I can afford a better one? I really don't know how it all works to be honest.


you could use it as a power amp AND speaker cab, you'd just use the power amp tap and bypass the fender hot rods preamp section.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
User avatar
waldo041
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:58 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Postby flavaham » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:33 am

Would that sound okay? I'm sure I'd want to upgrade eventually but, would it be worth doing that for now??

These preamps look BEAUTIFUL! I want one!! After reading about them a bit it looks like the Revelation is made for pedal steel but says it's good for any amplified instrument. Is it good for standard electric guitar?? I'd still use my pedals for effects obviously. I'm just liking that it has an fx loop, tuner send and 4 band eq for extra control. Anyone have experience or an opinion on this? Seriously I'm diggin' what I'm seeing on these.

As for using the power amp and speaker, do I just go from the preamp to the "Power Amp In" jack on the Hot Rod? Otherwise I don't see any way to hook up.
User avatar
flavaham
TC
TC
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:55 pm
Location: Aurora, Co

Re: Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Postby lunasparks » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:21 am

flavaham wrote:Would that sound okay? I'm sure I'd want to upgrade eventually but, would it be worth doing that for now??

These preamps look BEAUTIFUL! I want one!! After reading about them a bit it looks like the Revelation is made for pedal steel but says it's good for any amplified instrument. Is it good for standard electric guitar?? I'd still use my pedals for effects obviously. I'm just liking that it has an fx loop, tuner send and 4 band eq for extra control. Anyone have experience or an opinion on this? Seriously I'm diggin' what I'm seeing on these.

As for using the power amp and speaker, do I just go from the preamp to the "Power Amp In" jack on the Hot Rod? Otherwise I don't see any way to hook up.



What you want to look into is the SMS Classic preamp (likely with Garcia mods). Look around this forum and there are plenty of threads discussing the amp. I have one and for the crisp, clean, spanky, crackling tone I (and many of us) are going for, it's really a very sweet piece of equipment. Just gotta poke around.... :-)

EDIT: not that the Revelation wouldn't work for your purposes--I don't know--but maybe Brad can chime in?
User avatar
lunasparks
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:22 am

flavaham wrote:As for using the power amp and speaker, do I just go from the preamp to the "Power Amp In" jack on the Hot Rod? Otherwise I don't see any way to hook up.


exactly, this will bypass the Hot Rods preamp portion, but it does leave the reverb and presence controls still active on the Hot Rod. so, you can use either the Classics reverb or the Hot Rods reverb. should sound just fine, but you will want to upgrade the hot rods stock speaker.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
User avatar
waldo041
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:58 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:14 am

waldo041 wrote:
flavaham wrote:As for using the power amp and speaker, do I just go from the preamp to the "Power Amp In" jack on the Hot Rod? Otherwise I don't see any way to hook up.


exactly, this will bypass the Hot Rods preamp portion, but it does leave the reverb and presence controls still active on the Hot Rod. so, you can use either the Classics reverb or the Hot Rods reverb. should sound just fine, but you will want to upgrade the hot rods stock speaker.


I can vouch for having used my modded Dual Showman Reverb preamp into the Power In jack on a Blues Deluxe, and it sounds excellent (for lower volume rehearsal anyway), although w/ the stock speaker I did miss a bit of the JBL sparkle.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Re: Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 am

flavaham wrote:Would that sound okay? I'm sure I'd want to upgrade eventually but, would it be worth doing that for now??

These preamps look BEAUTIFUL! I want one!! After reading about them a bit it looks like the Revelation is made for pedal steel but says it's good for any amplified instrument. Is it good for standard electric guitar?? I'd still use my pedals for effects obviously. I'm just liking that it has an fx loop, tuner send and 4 band eq for extra control. Anyone have experience or an opinion on this? Seriously I'm diggin' what I'm seeing on these.

As for using the power amp and speaker, do I just go from the preamp to the "Power Amp In" jack on the Hot Rod? Otherwise I don't see any way to hook up.

viewtopic.php?f=346&t=9441
sound bite in there too
:D
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4211
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

Re: Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Postby tcsned » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:30 pm

sorry, should have been more specific - Brad's a really helpful guy to talk to. I'm using the power section of my Mesa Mark III going into the effects loop return. I've used my Mesa 2x12 cab as well as the speakers from my Twin Reissue. If your Fender has a loop, you can do that too. The Rocktron amps (they make a 300w and 100w I think) are solid state amps with a "tube" effect you can dial in. They're pretty reasonable. Mesa makes some good tube power amps too . . . not so reasonable $$
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2613
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests