Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Postby flavaham » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Anyone have thoughts on this amp? I got a few bucks from xmas and winning some fantasy football leagues so I'm thinking I should grab a new amp. I currently play a Fender Hot Rod that is 13+ years old. I like the amp but it just lacks in tone. I'd like something with more power and 2x12 so I figured this was a good option.
Thanks!
flavaham
TC
TC

Re: Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb

Postby flavaham » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Just reallized that this topic should probably just be in the Equipment section, not Jerry Tone. If the mod can fix that it'd be cool. Sorry bout that!
flavaham
TC
TC

Postby tcsned » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:17 pm

I got a TRRI for $250 when I was managing the music store - it's not quite like the original and probably a pain in the ass to mod with the circuit board but it's certainly does a fine job if you can find one for a reasonable price. I've been using mine as a speaker cab for the SMS/Mesa MKIII and the amp for my talkbox since I got the SMS. It's a great amp for the $$. I know Jonnyboy did some Jerry mods to his he might be someone to ask if you are looking to tweak it. Mine is stock.
tcsned

Postby flavaham » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:33 pm

Honestly I've never modded anything. I'm looking really to just upgrade my current rig. I don't ever have the money to invest so I'm thinking this is a good opportunity. I'm not looking to clone the Jerry sound really. He's a big influence but I also like the tones of Derek Trucks, Jimmy Herring, Jeff Beck, etc. I'm trying to stay under $1500 but get something powerful and with good stock tone. I saw a Fender '65 reissue at Guitar Center for $1399 so I figured I would ask around. I know the "Twin" has been a staple in rock and blues literally since 1965 so I imagine this is a reasonable way to go.
flavaham
TC
TC

Postby caspersvapors » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:49 pm

absolutely do not buy this amp new, Fender Twins (vintage and reissue alike) are a dime a dozen. You can get a vintage silverface for less than a $1000 and used reissue for even less. Most people here will say go vintage. However with your budget you might be able to buy a used boutique amp which has all the mojo and sound a vintage amp with new components
caspersvapors

Postby flavaham » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:18 pm

Okay, good to know! I checked out a Mesa Express 5:50 today. Very versatile. Plenty loud! Seems like a lot of ways to get a good sound from it. Any thoughts on this amp? Kinda pricey but everyone I know who plays a Boogie absolutely SWEARS by it. I need the next amp I buy to last a good while so I'd like to go with something new that might have a warranty for a year or so.
flavaham
TC
TC

Postby flavaham » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:43 pm

Also, as for searching for a used Boutique amp, what should I be looking for? I don't even know where to start! Brands, mods, etc...I'm clueless as to what is even available.

Thanks again guys!
flavaham
TC
TC

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:41 am

I love my TRRI, it is a blackface fender twin just like their older brothers, just on a PCB. Some of the components are cheap, I changed out the plate resistors and the tonstack to the good stuff. Some of the other caps have been replaced too, anything cheapy looking. I have had a few people offer me money for it, just not enough, its a player for sure. I got it for $500, and it plays way better than the silverface at my local store with orange D120's. Some of the naysayers of the TRRI's I wonder if they have ever owned one or played one longer than 10 min at their local GC. The PCB board makes component ID way easy, so mods go faster without stupid error. PCB's do not make the tone worse or anything like that. They are fantastic amps, and even better after some love of coarse. But What amp isn't these days?? As for vintage amps, I am sick of having to upgrade all the old caps and such to get them to their previous glory, it is amazing how much of my MC50 was shot on the inside, and I thought it sounded good before that. Sometimes its nice to get an amp with brand new stuff in it, especially if you have to hire amp techs to do your work for you.

Have you looked at the Riviera's? those are nice, a mesa mark IV is a fine specimine too. Lunchbox amps have my eye at the store too... Surprising what 20 watts can do. I am afraid to try them out or I may buy one, since I just got a pair of QSC K12's, a (made in USA) Mackie mixing board, Crate power block (to replace the MC250 for rehearsals), Waldo buffer and a Digitech vocalist live 4. I held Mrs.Claus for ransom and got what I wanted for once from Santa. Fuck the naughty and nice list, I had to make my own way in this economy. :shock:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby barefootdave » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:17 am

Try to find a Dr. Z dealer around you, I got a MAZ Jr. 18 watt several months ago and have been playing it with my band, it is the best sounding amp I have ever used. MORE than loud enough for a room with 300 people and even outdoor gigs, which we have plenty of here in S Florida.

I have had Twins, Vibroluxes, Deluxes, Matchless, Groove Tubes, 1969 Marshall 50 watt, and more over the years, and this is by FAR the most exciting responsive tone I know of. Very reasonable prices also, considering it's all point-to-point hand wired stuff.

This is my first post after joining the forum yesterday, looking forward to learning and discussing with you guys!

Barefoot Dave
"His job was to shed light, not to master"
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby barefootdave » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:31 am

By the way, I have had several Mesa Boogies also, they are very good all around amps. However, for the money the Dr. Z is WAY more dynamic, versatile, and has much more personality. I got my Z used on ebay for $1k.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:02 am

flavaham wrote:Also, as for searching for a used Boutique amp, what should I be looking for? I don't even know where to start! Brands, mods, etc...I'm clueless as to what is even available.

Thanks again guys!

Most BOOTEEK builders specialize in an amp series. There are Blackface guys, Vox guys, Marshall guys, etc.

If looking for a Fender blackface I'd suggest Fargen amps. You can pickup one of his blackbirds, used, for cheaper than a TRRI.
strumminsix

Postby keirweir » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:10 am

I've been playing through my re-issue for years. I think I got it around 2005. I still need to get to the mods but I love it. I've had it tubed a couple times and blew some resistors at one point. I have K 120's in the twin and a cab with Beyma Liberty speakers. Man, I gotta get to those mods.

Here's a clip with my twin running the Beyma's.

http://www.archive.org/download/DLG2010 ... You_Do.mp3
keirweir

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:31 am

Hey Keir, here is a wealth of help from Waldo concering TRRI mods. I believe he also puts in the mouser part #'s. If not, I am sure I can come up with the complete tone stack and plate resistor order #'s for you. I thought it was worth the effort in the end!!

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=8265&p=77232#wrap
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby keirweir » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:48 am

JonnyBoy wrote:Hey Keir, here is a wealth of help from Waldo concering TRRI mods. I believe he also puts in the mouser part #'s. If not, I am sure I can come up with the complete tone stack and plate resistor order #'s for you. I thought it was worth the effort in the end!!

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=8265&p=77232#wrap

Thanks Jonnyboy!

I have all the part #'s via Waldo from a while ago. I just need the time now!

I'd love to hear the difference after the mod!
keirweir

Postby tcsned » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Rivera's a great - I had Paul Jr. run me through a bunch of 'em at a buddy's store - very versatile and great tone. I think I liked them even better than my Boogies. Dr. Z's are also worth a look if these are in your price range. The one thing I would suggest is to think about where you're going to be using it and don't get something that is way overpowered for the spaces you're playing. If you're playing mostly at home or jamming with buddies in a basement a 100w amp is overkill. 25w is probably more than enough. If you really want the Twin sound and don't want the wattage I'd look at Brad's SMS Classic preamp. I am totally hooked on mine. Then you can get one of those Rocktron power amps and you'll be in business for a lot of volume situations and still be in the price range of a new TRRI.
tcsned

Next

Return to Jerry Tone