Mutron III+, worth it?

Mutron III+, worth it?

Postby flavaham » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:09 pm

I'd like to get an envelope filter but I'm torn. I really don't like the sound of the Boss version. I don't know anything about the Electro-Harmonix Q-tron+ and the original Mutron III is out of my price range. I can grab a Mutron III+ (the reissue) for under $200. Should I? I'm going to check youtube for some demos but I figure people on here would know more about it. I'd like to get that signature Jerry sound for some tunes. What are the best options?
Thanks!
flavaham
TC
TC

Re: Mutron III+, worth it?

Postby flavaham » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:27 pm

Also, does anyone know anything about the Electro-Harmonix XO Micro Q-Tron Envelope Filter? Again,I don't need an exact match to the sound but something close. I'm not currently in a Dead cover band so that's not an issue.
flavaham
TC
TC

Postby caspersvapors » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:18 pm

i think a lot of people like the q tron
caspersvapors

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:27 pm

I would say try the Q, or the Emma or others well under $200. If I hadn't scored my original Mu III in the 80's for $35, I'd probably be using a Q right now.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:37 pm

Avoid the little Micro Qtron in their Nano series. It just doesnt cut it.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:50 pm

For Jerry tones and all the other classic EF tones out there, a Qtron + is the way to go in My opinion. There are some others out there at the same price point, but the Qtron+ was designed by the guy that made the MutronIII and said he used the same approach with some upgrades to the circuitry he thought it needed from the original. I guess I couldn't ask for more for $175. I have found it to have the old school EF tone, true bypass, its own effects loop for hooking up stubborn pedals that tend to react negatively to the device. It is not an original mutron, but you can get very close if tweaked well.

The Mutron III+ by Haz is not an original Mutron design or circuit. Haz used the box and graphics of the original, but put a different circuit in it, which makes it not similar on the mst important level. Some have said it is a good EF filter though, some have not liked it. If my EF broke today, I would go back with a Qtron+ or maybe one of EHX's EF hybrids on steroids.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:47 pm

I believe Mike Biegel actually helped design the original QTron. iirc, the first big box green qtrons are the closest ones to the original Mutron3's circuit.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby flavaham » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:15 pm

Okay then! Qtron+ it is! Thanks guys! Can I count on you all for some help dialing it in when it arrives?

Thanks again!
flavaham
TC
TC

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:50 am

flavaham wrote:Okay then! Qtron+ it is! Thanks guys! Can I count on you all for some help dialing it in when it arrives?

Thanks again!

Of coarse, but it is about as easy as telling you how to play like Jerry himself, they act differently depending on what guitar, effects, amp, pickups, boosters, etc.... They all play a role in that animal. If you have used one before, then it should be just a matter of time and a few cuss words. I plug mine first in the chain, it helps. getting an effects switcher helps even more, keeping it out of line of other effects. I have found I change the knobs depending on what amp I am playing through too, if it cant handle the low end nicely. a touchy little bastard sometimes.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:36 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:Avoid the little Micro Qtron in their Nano series. It just doesnt cut it.

B

Hey Brad I value your opinion a ton ...
I use the above pedal and have had decent success with it - as a matter of fact I was gonna say that my new gee-tar with Super 2's has made it sound better than when I used the Strat with Seymour Duncans ....
What dont you like about it ?
I thought it was the same as the bigger Qtron just no true by Pass ?
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby joethepainter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:08 am

Hey Now, I've heard good things about the effects loop of the Q-Tron +, as JB says in this here post...
JonnyBoy wrote:For Jerry tones and all the other classic EF tones out there, a Qtron + is the way to go in My opinion. There are some others out there at the same price point, but the Qtron+ was designed by the guy that made the MutronIII and said he used the same approach with some upgrades to the circuitry he thought it needed from the original. I guess I couldn't ask for more for $175. I have found it to have the old school EF tone, true bypass, its own effects loop for hooking up stubborn pedals that tend to react negatively to the device. It is not an original mutron, but you can get very close if tweaked well.

The Mutron III+ by Haz is not an original Mutron design or circuit. Haz used the box and graphics of the original, but put a different circuit in it, which makes it not similar on the mst important level. Some have said it is a good EF filter though, some have not liked it. If my EF broke today, I would go back with a Qtron+ or maybe one of EHX's EF hybrids on steroids.

But I can testify to the truth of waldo's post, as it's what I use...
waldo041 wrote:I believe Mike Biegel actually helped design the original QTron. iirc, the first big box green qtrons are the closest ones to the original Mutron3's circuit.
peace,
waldo
Here's mine, snagged off CL for 100 clams...
Hey, Tom Dude, I'll gladly bring my Q 'big box' up to a jam, we can A/B the auto wahs, and post the results... :-)
joethepainter
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:25 am

joethepainter wrote:Hey, Tom Dude, I'll gladly bring my Q 'big box' up to a jam, we can A/B the auto wahs, and post the results... :-)

That would be cool Joe Dude !
I'm all about R.O.R. 80's solo where Jerry gets all Mutron'd right now !
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby barefootdave » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:25 am

FWIW,

I have owned the original Mutron 3 as well as a Qtron (but not Qtron+ or Mutron 3+) over the course of my performing career. I am currently using a Line 6 Pod XT Live floor pedal, (can be found on ebay for $150-200) and find the mutron emulator in it to be quite good. You can adjust the parameters over a wide range, and combine with other effects such as delay (w tap tempo) and save a variety of configurations. These saved configurations can be created to fit various guitars that you might use, different songs, and also output can be matched to various amps. This pedal also provides a floor tuner, which mutes the signal automatically when engaged. It can even serve as a backup amp if you create a second set of patches with the amp emulation set to "on", which I have done just in case my primary amp fails at a gig. It has very good models of the Twin and the Matchless (both of which I have owned and performed with), as well as the Dumble (line 6 setting = "boutique"), which I have not owned or played personaly.

Otherwise, be sure to set the amp emulation to "off" and just use it as an effect pedal. I keep an A/B switch in front of the Line 6 pedal and send the B output straight to the second input on my Dr. Z amp so the Line 6 is completely out of the signal chain when not in use. This also allows me to manipulate the settings on the pedal with it outside the signal chain, then bring it back in when ready.

I find this to be a simple and cost effective way to get my mutron tone while minimizing the need for patch cables and AC power at the front of the stage.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Return to Jerry Tone