OBEL question ?

OBEL question ?

Postby gdrfk1990 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:10 am

How do you hook this up. Do you kneed a special cable ?
gdrfk1990
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: OBEL question ?

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:29 am

Yes you need a special cable.
Maybe two.
I took care of my my OBEL needs by going with Mike.
http://www.wald-electronics.com/misc.html
If you do a search you will find countless information on the subject.
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby bcresci » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:17 am

If you're going to go to the trouble of putting in an OBEL, I'd also recommend installing a buffer at the same time. Makes a big difference. Assuming you haven't already put one in. I don't consider myself a rocket scientist and, dumb mistakes aside, was able to get both done in basically one night. A little solder, a little drilling, and presto.
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:26 pm

The signal goes out from a stereo guitar jack to the effects loop and back to the same jack through a single stereo cable. Then to the guitar volume control and finally out to the amp through a regular mono cable.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:20 pm

Are you asking about putting one in a guitar you have, or hooking up a guitar that already has an OBEL into effects and amp?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:43 pm

bcresci wrote:If you're going to go to the trouble of putting in an OBEL, I'd also recommend installing a buffer at the same time. Makes a big difference. Assuming you haven't already put one in. I don't consider myself a rocket scientist and, dumb mistakes aside, was able to get both done in basically one night. A little solder, a little drilling, and presto.

I agree, but... couldn't the poster be trying for a perfect clone of the '77 sound that is so popular 'round these parts? In that fabled year, there has been shown strong evidence that the TB-500 Bean he played from 12/31/76 to 9/3/77 had NO buffer, and its OBEL was buffered by the non-true bypass Mu-tron III pedal in the loop. (Oops, hope I didn't just lose ya a sale waldo... :shock:
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby gdrfk1990 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:36 am

I have a buffer in my guitar no OBEL I am talking about how to hook up an already existing OBEL in the moriarty that I sometimes get to play
gdrfk1990
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby hogan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:25 pm

gdrfk1990 wrote:I have a buffer in my guitar no OBEL I am talking about how to hook up an already existing OBEL in the moriarty that I sometimes get to play

That guitar probably had a trs cable included w/ the guitar.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 am

Follow-up. How is the box wired that splits and reconnects the stereo signal going to and from the effects?

I'll guess that it plugs into a stereo jack, takes the signal from the guitar to a mono jack, then picks up the signal after the effects back into the box to a mono jack, then takes that wire over to the other wire of the stereo jack and back up to the guitar. So pretty much a box with a stereo jack and two mono jacks and the necessary connecting wires. Close?

So then how did Jer's switchable effects controller work?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:24 am

TI4-1009 wrote:Follow-up. How is the box wired that splits and reconnects the stereo signal going to and from the effects?

TI4-1009 wrote:So then how did Jer's switchable effects controller work?

each of those boxes represent a dpdt relay wired for true bypass operation. each effect is inserted at the "send & return" of each box(relay) individually. each of those boxes(relay's) are remotely switched on/off individually. so when no effect is switched on, it is just one big loop. when an effect(s) is/are switched in at it's remoted switch it get's introduced into that loop in the position it is in the chain.

if you take the send and return out of the boxes in the above diagram, then the boxes can be actual effects. this is how jerry ran the OBEL before getting the cutler made effects switching box in 79. when ran this way the effects are non true bypassed individually and individual buffers affect each others performance. this is part of the move to the cutler switching box. that and having the pedals behind him at easy reach for individual adjustments.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:58 am

Thank you waldo, you da man- again.

TI4-1009

Postby TI4-1009 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:46 pm

Check out this picture of Jerry and Tiger from 1988 that's in the Grateful Dead Gear book. It looks like there's an empty jack on the plate, plus another black cable? Jerry started using the balck strat for MIDI in '88-'89. What's this showing?

TI4-1009

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:26 pm

TI4-1009 wrote: What's this showing?

definately not midi there. he is only using the mono output out to his amp. he is guest appearing with Zero in that photo, and is just using a silverface twin combo, so no effects. although there is a myth that tiger was retrofitted with midi, tiger was never played with midi.

here is Jerry and Zero

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:09 pm

Jerry started using the balck strat for MIDI in '88-'89.

April 17, 1989 for Garcia, not '88. But Bobby started using a MIDI pickup around August or Sept of '88.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:47 am

Yeah, I didn't think that Tiger ever got MIDI'd. What's that black cable and brass "bump" between the jacks? At least the photo nails down which jack went to the amp!

TI4-1009

Next

Return to Jerry Tone