Twin Preamp Orientation

Twin Preamp Orientation

Postby bffreedomlpa » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:43 am

This may be looked at as a strange question and maybe it has been covered before....I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

Was there any significance to Jerry's two Twin Heads being always stacked vertically? It seems it would have been just as easy and make more sense to stand the case horizontally where you can actually see the knobs without looking sideways, yet since the early seventies it was stacked the other way.

Thanks all
bffreedomlpa
bruce
bruce

Re: Twin Preamp Orientation

Postby strumminsix » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:49 am

I seem to recall it being due to fitting 2 side by side vertically in a standard width gear case while horizontal would have a special case.
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:31 am

:shock:

http://www.wald-electronics.com/preampmods.html

Here is Healy's comment on that
We stand the Fenders on end so the springs stand vertically and are far less subject to banging against the tank shell when the stage is bouncing around.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Pete B. » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:29 am

Check out the Reverb Crash on this Halfstep:
http://www.archive.org/details/gd81-03- ... sbeok.shnf
Pete B.

Postby JamminJommy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:46 am

Pete B. wrote:Check out the Reverb Crash on this Halfstep:
http://www.archive.org/details/gd81-03- ... sbeok.shnf

This recording is hilarious/amazing/scary. People have argued that it wasn't Jerry's rig but actually some PA reverb equipment. I'm inclined to think that its a twin spring falling from a few feet up. Anyone?

Oh and I totally am on board with the idea that it catches less ambient noise that way. On some of the more rickety stages, I've A/B'd em. Its not a big difference Live, but on the recordings after the fact, its noticeable.

Peace,

Jommy
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby strumminsix » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:02 pm

waldo041 wrote::shock:

Hey, rumors are shocking but it is what I heard many years ago. Shit, it made sense. I, for one, never discount ease and function.

But I know you are right :-)
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:39 pm

strumminsix wrote:
waldo041 wrote::shock:

Hey, rumors are shocking but it is what I heard many years ago. Shit, it made sense. I, for one, never discount ease and function.

But I know you are right :-)

probably should have put a quote in there, wasn't shocked with you brother! i was shocked the original poster hadn't found his way to my page with the info he sought.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:11 pm

JamminJommy wrote: I'm inclined to think that its a twin spring falling from a few feet up. Anyone?

Just a decent bump is all it takes to get a crack of thunder. Falling a few feet or even one foot would probably break something.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby bffreedomlpa » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:30 pm

I've been on your site 100 times and never noticed it......maybe because I am just starting off building my rig. Actually have a new Phiga guitar with your buffer installed that should be delivered to my home tomorrow....What happened to the customer is always right?

It's the first guitar Phil ever wired with an OBEL after doing 100+ without......hopefully I won't need your help.

Here is some pictures.
Friegman B Phiga.jpg
Friegman B Phiga.jpg (146.94 KiB) Viewed 856 times
bffreedomlpa
bruce
bruce

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:44 pm

Nice Phiga!!! please update as to how it plays and such. I tried to buy one from him in 2010, maybe I will try again in 2011 you never know!
jdsmodulus

Postby Pete B. » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:41 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
JamminJommy wrote: I'm inclined to think that its a twin spring falling from a few feet up. Anyone?

Just a decent bump is all it takes to get a crack of thunder. Falling a few feet or even one foot would probably break something.

Yeah just a bit of a bump and it's thunderous (try it with earplugs in).
I was there at MSG that night.
If you listen closely, you can hear Jer jokingly yell "Hey Parish, get your fuckin' elbows off my fuckin' amp".
I just made that part up :lol: , but it sounds like Jerrys amp to me... and Parish would be a likely bump-er.

Pete B.

Postby JamminJommy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:18 pm

It sounds like it scares the crap out of the band, though.

I just tried it with my buddies twin. In retrospect, you were right about the earplugs. Could be some thrilling space effects in the future for me...
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby playingdead » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:12 pm

I was there that night, as well ... about 16 rows back. It was a real high energy show, and I think it got rocked forward, that stage was really bouncing and they were playing loud as hell.

Interesting to listen to the A-D jam on there, too, because Garcia blows an E-120, and discovers it distorting at certain notes up on the neck, and he plays around with that for a long time before Parish changes it out. I remember him looking bemused as he noodled ... "there it is ... and here too ... "
playingdead

Postby keirweir » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:27 am

bffreedomlpa wrote:I've been on your site 100 times and never noticed it......maybe because I am just starting off building my rig. Actually have a new Phiga guitar with your buffer installed that should be delivered to my home tomorrow....What happened to the customer is always right?

It's the first guitar Phil ever wired with an OBEL after doing 100+ without......hopefully I won't need your help.

Here is some pictures.
Friegman B Phiga.jpg

Nice Phiga! I had a Phiga for some time.

Congrats
keirweir

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:59 am

I like the hummus from the deli department of the grocery better than the prepackaged stuff in the cooler aisle.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Next

Return to Jerry Tone