Quick effect identifcation

Quick effect identifcation

Postby JamminJommy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:16 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyFVNr6A780

In Fire, the first solo... Boss OD-1? Second solo... Boss Turbo Overdrive? Also, I would like to point out that the latter overdrive, whatever it may be, is before the Mu-tron in the effects sequence (some one mentioned suspecting it in an earlier thread). You can hear it at 6:06. Doesn't peak through the Mu.

Just curious. These are both awesome solo tones.

Peace,

Jommy

P.S. You to I imbed youtube vids? I tried the "youtube" button for the code but nothing happened!!
Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theuncommonsenseband
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Re: Quick effect identifcation

Postby myoung6923 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:33 am

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby waldo041 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:48 pm

JamminJommy wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyFVNr6A780

In Fire, the first solo... Boss OD-1? Second solo... Boss Turbo Overdrive? Also, I would like to point out that the latter overdrive, whatever it may be, is before the Mu-tron in the effects sequence (some one mentioned suspecting it in an earlier thread). You can hear it at 6:06. Doesn't peak through the Mu

1st Solo;
at 2:38 he first turns up the guitars midi volume and then turns off the OBEL/mutron. this introduces the horns.

at 2:53 he adjusts some parameter of the voice of the midi horns.

at 3:02 he flips the OBEL back on, and then turns the midi volume all the way down, and plays with the mutron on for a couple seconds while he first turns the Boss OD1 on his right(3:07) and then goes to his left and turns the mutron off(3:09). he then turn the guitar volume up to the sustain/OD he wants and jams.

at 4:42 he turns the Boss OD1 off on his right, and then goes to his left and turns the Mutron on(4:45).

2nd Solo;
at 6:05 he turns to his left and switches the Mutron off and then, still on his left, at 6:07 he turns the Boss OD2r on.
at 7:58 he pushes up his glasses and stares with the notion he is a BADASS!!! :cool:

then at 8:15 he flips the Boss OD2r off and the Mutron back on.

great examples of both boss overdrives!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JamminJommy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:40 pm

After our discussion on the HM2 the other day, I thought I'd go hunting for some of the 89-91 tones. This is the cut from So Many Roads... so I didn't have to hunt to far.

at 7:58 he pushes up his glasses and stares with the notion he is a BADASS!!!

Yep. yep yep yep. Oh yes... :smile:

Thanks guys!

Peace,

Jommy

P.S. I'm pretty sure this might be my favorite Scarlet/Fire. No, I'm pretty sure this might be my favorite Grateful Dead recording. This and The Other One on disc 2 on Hundred Year Hall. :wink:

JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:56 pm

waldo041 wrote:
JamminJommy wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyFVNr6A780

In Fire, the first solo... Boss OD-1? Second solo... Boss Turbo Overdrive? Also, I would like to point out that the latter overdrive, whatever it may be, is before the Mu-tron in the effects sequence (some one mentioned suspecting it in an earlier thread). You can hear it at 6:06. Doesn't peak through the Mu

1st Solo;
at 2:38 he first turns up the guitars midi volume and then turns off the OBEL/mutron. this introduces the horns.

at 2:53 he adjusts some parameter of the voice of the midi horns.

at 3:02 he flips the OBEL back on, and then turns the midi volume all the way down, and plays with the mutron on for a couple seconds while he first turns the Boss OD1 on his right(3:07) and then goes to his left and turns the mutron off(3:09). he then turn the guitar volume up to the sustain/OD he wants and jams.

at 4:42 he turns the Boss OD1 off on his right, and then goes to his left and turns the Mutron on(4:45).

2nd Solo;
at 6:05 he turns to his left and switches the Mutron off and then, still on his left, at 6:07 he turns the Boss OD2r on.
at 7:58 he pushes up his glasses and stares with the notion he is a BADASS!!! :cool:

then at 8:15 he flips the Boss OD2r off and the Mutron back on.

peace,
waldo

awesome timing nugget. I'll have to try to listen at some point, but isn't that somewhat unusual if he really is switching off the Mutron every time he engages an overdrive? maybe ECF+OD was an 80's thing...

IWT... :cool: actually JK was there too come to think of it.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jefkahn » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:30 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
IWT... :cool: actually JK was there too come to think of it.

Yes I was, but I suspect you mean the more famous JK. :lol:
...things we've never seen will seem familiar...
jefkahn
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby JamminJommy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:30 pm

Besides being thrilled at knowing which effects these are, like I said, I find it interesting that the Turbo Overdrive is definitely before the MU-Tron in the chain. From the look of the video, I don't think he enjoyed either time the Mu was engaged with an overdrive. He kind of play a few notes and looks around on the floor and stomps it, moves on.

If you were there, the rest of this show is pretty killer, too, besides the lyric botch on "Hey Jude." What a way to start the set. Spring 90 was clearly a blessed time for the boys. How stuff... here, Nassau, and the Knick!

Peace,

Jommy

JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby waldo041 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:29 am

he used an Dist/OD in front of the Mu3 for quite some time.......

here is a preliminary breakdown i have been working out. all years are +/- months, but are relatively close.

by the end of 1979 what appears to be the Boss DS1 enters top shelf right after the Mu3 & MuOctDiv. this could be the OD1, but imho, i am pretty sure it is the DS1.

By 1980 That Boss DS1(?) gets moved from behind to in front of the Mu3 & MuOctDiv and stays there until sometime in 1982 when it leaves and the MXR Dist+ gets moved from the bottom shelf to the top before the Mutrons. no Dist/OD on bottom shelf, just phaser and Analog delay.

at the begining of 1983 the MXR Dist+ is moved back to the bottom shelf before the MXR phaser. briefly there is no Dist/OD on top shelf. but by the end of 83 the MXR Series 2000 Distortion + is placed before the Mutron. the series 2000 stays there until around 1987ish.

the Boss HM2 arrives and replaces the MXR Series 2000 Dist+ sometime in 1987/88ish. but by 1989 the HM-2 was replaced with the Boss Turbo OverDrive OD-2 and the MXR Dist+ was replaced with the Boss OverDrive OD-1.

The Boss OC2 enters in 1989 and in 1992 the EQ's are added to each shelf after the OD's.

peace,
waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JamminJommy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:04 am

Awesome breakdown!!! A useful resource.

Peace,

Jommy

JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby bdhact1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:01 am

I usually get that sustainy feedback when both the OD-1 and the OD-2 are on at the same time.
It also sounds a like he adds the Phase 100 into the mix on the last movement of the jam.

Waldo's been at this much longer than I have and is much more knowledgeable.
I'm only going my experience with both Boss OD pedals.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Maybeck09 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:55 pm

at 7:58 he pushes up his glasses and stares with the notion he is a BADASS!!!

I always loved when he'd do that. Just rip for 8 minutes and then look up and push the glasses up, "like yeah, no big deal...but lets see you do that!"
Maybeck09
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:12 am

JamminJommy wrote:Awesome breakdown!!! A useful resource.

+1! Thanks Waldo.

So.... Is there a reason or logic behind the pedal oganization on the rack, or is it just random- he could add or drop any combination with the controller, right? So why the two GE-7 equalizers?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:50 am

TI4-1009 wrote:So.... Is there a reason or logic behind the pedal oganization on the rack, or is it just random- he could add or drop any combination with the controller, right? So why the two GE-7 equalizers?

the pedals are inline, he could not pick any combo.

top row from left to right 1 - 4
bottom row from left to right 5 - 8.

he usually ran a distortion before the envelope and octave divider, then another od, then phase, then delay. pretty traditional.

The GE7's were most liklely used to accentuate certain frequencies when he had the od's on, one for each. for the most part they are set flat.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Return to Jerry Tone