Jerry's Tiger in Sports Illustrated

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Jerry's Tiger in Sports Illustrated

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Great Pic!!! alls I can say is at least it is HIS guitar! :shock:
jdsmodulus

Postby jack-A-roe » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:31 pm

tshirt mockup...white print on black shirt = cheap printing.

what do you think?
Attachments
black_Tshirt2.png
tshirt mockup
black_Tshirt2.png (36.38 KiB) Viewed 697 times
jack-A-roe
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby aiq » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:15 pm

works for me...

In fairness, Irsay did help block Rush Limbaugh from being an NFL owner.

I still think Tiger should be in a museum.
aiq
Mickey
Mickey

Postby jack-A-roe » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:27 pm

i don't even think isray has to be divorced from his purchase. it could be something like he does for the "On the Road" 1st manuscript scroll he bought. he owns it, but i think it lives inside a museum of some sort within the Indiana University system.

something similar would be cool, but where the hell could the Tiger go?
jack-A-roe
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby strumminsix » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:37 pm

I'm still curious where the masses think Tiger belongs.

Also, who exactly will reimburse Irsay from his purchase?
strumminsix

Postby jack-A-roe » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:38 pm

yeah, no kidding. i don't think Tiger should be bought back, necessarily. i mean, at least we know who's got it. in someways, when isray entered the arena he made sure that it didn't leave the country and sit in some dude's closet in some far off land only to be anonymusly purchased and then poof. at least we know it is in isray's closet. and who would fault the dude for being super wealthy and purchasing some items of major cultural significance. i always wondered what people do with all those gobs of green paper. at least he seems like he must have good taste. i bet if he was asked, he would do SOMETHING. it is just a matter of asking and and finding out what that something is.

believe it or not, i'm trying to get the contact info of isray (through some not-so-long-shot long-shots, neighbors) or as close as possible to him so that whenever a real concrete plan was put together, we could include him or ask him.
jack-A-roe
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby strumminsix » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:49 pm

Seems like Irsay gets overloaded with Tiger requests.

I wonder if he knew the benevolent nature if Waldo if that wouldn't change something??
strumminsix

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:27 am

wow I havent checked this thread since I wrote that stuff on the first page. I really cant believe you guys have taken it these lengths. I dont think I support this cause..
caspersvapors

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:34 am

Apparently there is a new Irsay article in Forbes magazine. He claims there is the fabled "secret stash" built into the guitar. He went so far as to say there was actual "pot crumblings" inside the guitar when he recieved it. To me this is complete BS. Not to say that the compartment wasnt there but does anybody really believe that JG would have loose pot IN his guitar? I for one do not. Maybe Im wrong. Thoughts? :roll:
jdsmodulus

Postby bffreedomlpa » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:47 am

Here is the Article:

James Irsay On Rock 'n' Roll Guitars
As told to Steven Bertoni, 09.25.10, 02:20 AM EDT
Forbes Magazine dated October 11, 2010

A responsibility to take care of artists' instruments.

To me it's what the artist is about. . . . I wanted "Tiger" [Jerry Garcia's guitar]. . . . It was a 15-rounder [at auction], but I made the determination that I'd rather have Tiger than all the other Jerry stuff in the world. For me it was the centerpiece, a rare chance to have it. . . . When you look at . . . the "J. Garcia" on the fretboard, the stash box. When I got it [in 2001] it was like he'd literally [just] put it down at Soldier Field [in Chicago]. I mean there were pot crumblings in there. The strap is sweat-strewn. . . . Jerry was, wow, man, what can you say about him? . . . What a guitarist, man, and what a character. . . .

I have [George] Harrison's guitar that he walked out of [the Beatles' final concert in] Candlestick Park with, he walked onto Ed Sullivan with, and [John] Lennon played it on The White Album, and that's probably the best purchase I've ever made. . . . It was one of George's main guitars. Then he gave it to Peter Ham of Badfinger, then Ham committed suicide . . . and left it to his brother, who opened a guitar shop and then wanted to sell it, so it ended up in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for a while. . . . But at $600,000, man, I couldn't believe the price. I mean, Jerry's went for . . . $970,000 and with [Eric] Clapton's "Blackie," I tipped it by $20,000--I think officially in the Guinness World Records, no disrespect to Eric because I love Eric. . . .

I think it's hard to overpay, I really do, because they're priceless. And you have a big responsibility of taking care of them. Because in this life we borrow everything.
bffreedomlpa
bruce
bruce

Postby keirweir » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:51 am

"the stash box. When I got it [in 2001] it was like he'd literally [just] put it down at Soldier Field [in Chicago]. I mean there were pot crumblings in there."

Is this guy kidding?

There has to be a group of dead head ninja's on the vast foothills of Mt Fuji that can use stealth technique to regain what rightfully belongs in the hall.

FREE TIGER!
keirweir

Postby waldo041 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:10 am

don't have a clue what irsay is trying to do with these comments, but they are so untrue and a complete myth! i asked his curator about the "stash" box and I pointed out to him that the oval back was removeable, but he himself was unable to remove it without fear of damage. it takes removing the pickups and ring to expose the screws to remove it. he removed the screws but could not get the oval out and didn't want to damage anything. not much of a stash box if you can't remove it or have to take the guitar apart to get to it. the only other 2 cavities on that guitar are the electronics cavities, and the preamp cavity. the preamp/battery cavity can be construed as a "stash" box but i don't think they'd be putting anything in there but the preamp and battery same with the electronics cavity.

as for Jerry putting Tiger down at Soldier Field lets you know just how much he knows about JG and the GD. Tiger was not played at Soldier Field at the last shows, nor at any show that tour. ROSEBUD WAS THE MAIN AXE THAT TOUR.

peace,
waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jkstraw » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:23 am

waldo041 wrote:as for Jerry putting Tiger down at Soldier Field lets you know just how much he knows about JG and the GD. Tiger was not played at Soldier Field at the last shows, nor at any show that tour. ROSEBUD WAS THE MAIN AXE THAT TOUR.

Just confirming - from http://www.dozin.com/jers/guitar/history.htm

1995- Lightning Bolt was in the shop on the last tour. In his final show at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995, Garcia started out playing Rosebud, but midway through the show, the guitar developed problems. Garcia strapped on the tour's spare guitar -- Tiger, out of mothballs for the occasion -- and finished his final concert on his old trusty ax.

This is incorrect info?
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby waldo041 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:26 am

jkstraw wrote:
waldo041 wrote:as for Jerry putting Tiger down at Soldier Field lets you know just how much he knows about JG and the GD. Tiger was not played at Soldier Field at the last shows, nor at any show that tour. ROSEBUD WAS THE MAIN AXE THAT TOUR.

Just confirming - from http://www.dozin.com/jers/guitar/history.htm

1995- Lightning Bolt was in the shop on the last tour. In his final show at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995, Garcia started out playing Rosebud, but midway through the show, the guitar developed problems. Garcia strapped on the tour's spare guitar -- Tiger, out of mothballs for the occasion -- and finished his final concert on his old trusty ax.

This is incorrect info?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:28 am

never mind same thing JKSTRAW said...
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion