Iabanez gax70

Iabanez gax70

Postby JamminJommy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:57 pm

Recently picked one of these guys up for free. Was thinking of making a Jerry mod out of the thing.

I know its shape is more a Cowboy Fancy kind of thing... but hey.

Any thoughts?
Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theuncommonsenseband
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Re: Iabanez gax70

Postby bdhact1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Free guitars are always fun.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby ampegbassplayer1969 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:46 pm

bdhact1 wrote:Free guitars are always fun.

Agreed!

How does it play? I was checking one of these out for real cheap on craigslist while looking for a guitar to make into a cowboy.

What kind of Jerry mod are you aiming for?
ampegbassplayer1969
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:22 pm

for $300 bucks you could have a $2000 player. A set up goes a long way with cheap guitars too, it is rarely done properly,burrs on the side of frets and fret buzz around a high fret is hardly an issue if the intonation and action is sloppy. Great find my friend!! :smile: I would get it set up first and see if its a player, then start your operations and modds, just a suggestion. I am sure your psyched.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby JamminJommy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:56 pm

Played it a bunch today and yesterday.

Action isn't my taste but it seems to be an older model that was "played in" a bit. Frets aren't jagged and the neck is pretty quick. I need to raise the action a touch (I play pretty high- almost slide guitar action). The double cut gives great 22 fret access (both my axes are 21 now). I would definitely replace the nut and tuners. Time will tell as far as the bridge (though I need to adjust the intonation in a few spots). Truss could use adjusting, but I can't find my wrench. Strangely, the thing is pretty neck heavy and likes to tilt to that side. I have an EB strap, so a leather one would solve that, but so would adding weight to the body... which brings me to the next part.

I think I'm going to go all out with this one. I have my "Frankie" with a buffer and a Super II, tapped, in the mid. This one... I want midi and an effects loop. So I would be doing a full Rosebud conversion on it. I am also budgeting for a new rig, so it is more a matter of whats a better investment. But yeah... $300-$500 investment? Cheaper than a new axe... 8)

JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby dleonard » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:46 pm

Wow....I thought about pulling the trigger on one of these exact same guitars about this time last year. weird. It does have a really nice looking body, and any hard tail at least gets a second glance. Good luck with it man keep us updated on the progress
dleonard
Bear
Bear

Postby JamminJommy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:50 pm

I will of course.

I had a thought in the middle of the night last night. Head popped off the pillow and I said "What if I put a Super Distortion in the bridge but a Super II in the neck and mid?" I mean, its a mild variation. But does anyone have any thoughts on that? I'd still tap it, of course.

JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby cstig » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:45 pm

hey i just fixed up a similar guitar in the board titled jerry build for under 400 and it looks good and sounds great
cstig
rukind?
rukind?

Return to Guitar Building and Mods